Ruger No. 1 Model 1-B; 1314 Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Looking at a Model #1-B in .270 caliber that was shipped from the factory on April 1979. Serial number is 131-500XX.

Blued with 26" medium weight barrel, beavertail foreend, no sights. It has a Douglas barrel that was installed by Ruger, was wondering how prevalent the Douglas barrels were at this time in Rugers manufacturing history?

Thanks!

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
First - how do you know it's a Douglas barrel? The Ruger Douglas barrels are not marked as such and look just like any other barrel.

Also, the conventional wisdom is that Ruger stopped using Douglas and started using Wilson sometime around serial number 130-5000.
There could certainly have been some leftover Douglas barrels in inventory, but probably not as late as 1979.

Others here know a lot more than me, but it sounds like an aftermarket (i.e. non-Ruger) rebarrel job to me. Ruger has been known to do stranger things for the right person.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Gewehrfreund - person who owns rifle was under the perception on the Douglas barrel, no facts to support it. The #1 definitely has it original factory barrel based on rollmarks.

Did some searches here and got date range for @ barrel use dates.

Thanks much!

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
SS.
I'd guess it's a Wilson barrel if it's Ruger factory original.
There is no reason the Wilson barrels can't shoot just as well as the Douglas barrels, but there are a LOT more of the Wilsons on #1s out there, so the chance of getting a sub-par example is increased several-fold versus the much shorter Douglas run of barrels.
LC