micro- Sight Info. from J.Dougan & Rugerguy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

americal

Hunter
My post may be old news to collectors on this forum but it was some new and old mixed togather for me and explained a lot of Questions about microed RSS's. The micro sight Co. was started right before WWII by George Thannisch right outside San-Francisco,it made sights for all major brands of handguns and was A EARLY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE RSS for Bill Ruger--micro offered to put sights on the RSS model from the very first. Micro offered two ways of attachment--the single or double pinned micro RAMP or a unpinned RAMP with only one small screw to hold the blade in-so you could change their different style blades and the thickness was offered in 3 sizes, this was offered----- installed for 1.50 per sight a sample of the NO-pin ramp micro RSS
IMG_1421.jpg

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Look up Kings sight co. In San Fransisco from the 1930's and 40's you will find alot of his patented sights being used by Micro

americal

Hunter
Another question I had was why did a few of these RSS's show up LNIB ???? well rugerguy has worked on all brands of handguns going --well into the stone age :lol: he has seen many RSS guns that had the micro sights removed--WHY?---they tore -up holsters big time :!: even to the point that a few holster companies offered a holster made for the RSS microed guns,they had a plastic lining in the front of the holster to help save the cutting of the leather by the front micro sight. John Dougan scolled me pretty good his name is JOHN not Mr. Dougan and second it is not impossing on him for people to ask him QUESTIONS 8) he enjoys it and wants to help on Rugers if he can --I got that loud and clear :) bought in pawn shop for 265.00 dollars in the late 90's just laying there it had been severly monkeyed with so said the owner and wanted to get it out of his showcase :wink:
IMG_1423.jpg

americal

Hunter
Tucsonite said:
Look up Kings sight co. In San Fransisco from the 1930's and 40's you will find alot of his patented sights being used by Micro
yes--in Jeff Munnels early book on RSS guns there is a photo of a non-factory engraved KING SIGHTED RSS looks like micro --a little lower front sight 8)

deserttrans

Buckeye
Great info and pics! I can see how one would get excess holster wear. Just imagine being pistol whipped with the barrel end of one of them :shock:

I recall that King AND a componay called Tappen joined forces at one time or evolved from their early starts.....not many companies stayed with the handguns, Accro, Elliason, King, Micro . all did handguns, the military used Triangle and Drake for their 1911 competition guns,(match guns)plus the rib companies got into this fray, Bomar for example) Lyman,Williams, Marbles stayed mainly with the long guns, and especially some of the competition stuff ,like Winchester rifles...and yes, like Great Western, any given company could and would install ;other; sights on their guns for their customers, thats why its called "customer service" BUT eventually Ruger ,Colt, Smith they made up their OWN sights so as to NOT have to rely on outsourcing (big word TODAY, for outside vendors.........)plus the Colt Scouts, frontier scout, had the 'groove, ala, Vaquero???? talk about putting thr horse before the cart....anyway, there was NO provision for installing an 'adjustable'.......the two pin set up was to keep the front sight body from "rocking" BUT hammer or pound enough on ANY RSS, and that front blade will come up and out on its OWN.............
Good work Americal. you keep digging, alas, most of the guys who were involved with all this work back then are ALL dead and gone.....now its all coming under "Ruger lore" and makes for a good story...........back in the day, there was NOT a model that had adjustable sights, and to get it to work right (sight-in /regulate) they had to go to that TALL set up, not conducive to holster, quick draw work..............try fanning a any of them Micro sight guns....turn your hands to 'raw meat'....... :roll

LOts and LOTS of information, history and data to be found on the world of "gun sights", we barely touched the surface 8)

americal

Hunter
Thanks for posting your MICROES :!: :!: a few have brought 4 figures so hold on--know where a few are---will not sell at over a thousand :!: :!:

radicalrod

Hunter
I would show pics of mine BUT they all have moved to ALABAMA :lol: :lol: :lol: except my one RST6 with MICRO SITES....come on Wayne ya might as well own it too 8) 8) 8) see ya RR.

Motex66

Single-Sixer
flatgate I have a Dewey Trigger Stop still on the card in the package. Found it a the Dallas Market Hall show about a year ago. Pays to dig in those old boxes once in a while. Paid $15.00. That seem reasonable for somthing I had seen only in adds and your pictures.
John

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice! Thanks for sharing your good fortune! It never ceases to amaze me at all the neat stuff that's "still out there"!

Not too many years ago I found some very nice Ruger issue stag grips on a "less than ideal" Single-Six at the Cody Winchester Show. I basically sold the gun for what I paid for the gun and the grips...........

flatgate

americal

Hunter
radicalrod said:
I would show pics of mine BUT they all have moved to ALABAMA :lol: :lol: :lol: except my one RST6 with MICRO SITES....come on Wayne ya might as well own it too 8) 8) 8) see ya RR.
you are making me feel GUILTY :( RR has sure been good to me---BIG TIME--if you are a micro RSS nut :oops: not to many around :lol: :lol: