Gift STAR Super B

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
A good friend at work has gotten me into the milsurp 9mm kick. I shot his Hi Power and immediately became obsessed.

He had picked up this STAR Super B last year. We shot it at a range recently and it had the same extraction issues many of these pistols experience. My buddy was going to sell it, but I told him we could easily take it apart and check it out.

Anyhow, the other day, he comes in and says "I've got something for you. It's not the Browning, but i think you'll like it."

He gave me the Super B, 4 mags, an IWB holster and gun rug. I was flabbergasted, but he was sure.

So, I've been scouring the net to learn all I can about it. I was actually able to find a new extractor online and am waiting for it to come in, but I may try some other tricks, too.

Anyhow, i do have a couple questions...

First, there are two sets of numbers on this pistol. There is a 5-digit number on the right side, stamped twice...once on the frame and directly above it on the slide. The second number is on the left side of the frame, just below the slide release.

From what I've seen in my research, I think that the left-side number is the actual serial number of the pistol. The right-side number is a "rack number" that indicates the slide is matched to the frame.

Can anyone confirm I am correct on this?

There's a "72" stamped just ahead of the trigger guard, which matches up with the proof mark under the grip to indicate it mas made in 1972.

My other question is whether the grip panels for a Super A will fit a Super B. I think that the frames are the same, it's just that the calibers are different. The reason I ask is that I've got my eye on a set of grips for a Super A that would look nice on this "Spanish lady".

A couple photos...sorry for the glare.

Aqualung

mohavesam

Hawkeye
http://www.cruffler.com/ProductionDataPages/Star/StarDatesOfProduction.html

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/index.shtml

Super B guns are nicely made, and generally accurate. Grips of note are dicey, seems like someone would get the patterns and sell a steady line? There are lots out there.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
An update...extractor came in and it looks like it needs a little fitting. I installed it (needed to expand the pin hole a bit) and it's even worse than the original. It appears that the hole was bored off a bit. So, since I didn't pay much for it, I'll do a little work to "move" the hole slightly and also make it a little skinnier so the claw extends deeper into the receiver area to grab the case rim.

I'll post some pics and an update.

Thanks,

Aqualung

pete44ru

Hunter

They're nice pistols, for sure - but, "free" makes it super ! :mrgreen: .

I bought myself an FEG Hi-Power clone ( a Charles Daly import) for $325 this past Winter, that shoots like house afire.

nNV8GXWl.jpg

Since I didn't like the issue grips, I ordered a set meant for the Browning HP, which dropped right on.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
pete44ru said:

They're nice pistols, for sure - but, "free" makes it super ! :mrgreen: .

I bought myself an FEG Hi-Power clone ( a Charles Daly import) for $325 this past Winter, that shoots like house afire.

nNV8GXWl.jpg

Since I didn't like the issue grips, I ordered a set meant for the Browning HP, which dropped right on.

You guys are killing me. I've had Hi Powers on my mind for a while now...not in the position to buy one yet, but the mania grows...

:D

Aqualung

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Another update.

I did some work on the extractor and its pin hole. When cycled, it extracted the cases and held them all the way back to the ejector.

Took it to the range today and tried it out. Not good news. It still failed to extract about 6-7 times out of 20 rounds.

I'm thinking that my spring shim might be too much and i need to see if i can set back the hole a bit more.

I may also invest in a new recoil spring, too.

It's now a mission...

Aqualung

mohavesam

Hawkeye
J&G Sales sells a few "gunsmith specials" as parts guns. The ones I've examined were in very nice condition, just missing a part or wrong grips.
as soon as you get it dialed in you'll be shootin & grinnin, with your old iron.

Another problem with these is that the basic gun was actually designed for a slightly longer cartridge, the 9mm Largo or 9x21. You wouldn't think 2mm would make a difference, but you'd be wrong. The problem is often with the magazine; if you have a 9x19 Parabellum magazine, you might try a 9x21 mag. Conversely, if you have a Largo magazine, you might try a Parabellum one. Magazines are tricky little beasts and Star didn't spend enough time on theirs when they rushed to supply their forces with the new NATO standard ctg. handgun, the Super B. My Super A, the previous Spanish issue, never boggles with its 9x21 ammo, factory or handloads.

mojavesam's references are good. You might also try www.9mmlargo.com and the "Spanish Pistols" forum on www.gunboards.com/forums (it's 'way down their long list of forums.) Lots of expertise on these on both forums and troubleshooting of these "Supers" is a fairly common subject.

BTW, the "Super" in the Star name has nothing to do with ".38 Super Auto" ammo, although many shoot that in their Super A's, chambered for the very similar 9x21. (I don't do it in mine now that Starline makes excellent 9x21 cases). The "Super" refers to the takedown system copied from the Browning Hi-Power. The original Star design was simply a modified 1911 without the grip safety; the "Super A and B" came later, after WWII and the Spanish Civil War. European patents only last 10 years (an excellent idea in my opinion).

A very neat gun; hope you can get it running good.