Speed Six 9mm original moon clips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If anyone has a 9mm Speed Six with the original moon clips I need to know the thickness of the original moon clips. I recently got one without any clips and got some aftermarket moon clips that are just a bit too thick and the cylinder won't close (just barely). Once I know the original thickness I can decide what I want to do with the ones I have.

BTW, they came from a place called SpeedBeez and I haven't talked to them yet.

Thanks.

I measured mine and they are all 0.036 to 0.038 and that difference is just enough to cause the cylinder to not close. I'll call Ruger on Monday and see if they have any rat holed away that they will sell me and then I'll contact SpeedBeez and see what they say. I'll also have to see if there is anything I can do to have that cylinder move forward a bit to make better rear clearance.

That said, if anyone has a few original full moon or half moon clips for the Six series 9mm's and want to part with a couple, let me know how much you want.

Thanks Tyrone and Wayno for the info.

contender

Ruger Guru
Here is an idea Ron. Find a machine shop that has a magnetic base surface grinder. A gentle grinding of those thick moons should be easy enough.

Might be worth trying a few different brands of ammo to see if the "rim" dimensions are different enough to make the current clips useable.

Got some original Ruger moon clips from a gracious board member (Thank you Wayno). They are a bit thinner than the ones I got (by a couple thousandths). Put some Winchester White Box ammo in one of them and it works perfect.

Then I started checking some of the ones that wouldn't fit quite right. Saw some ammo brands that I didn't recognize right off and looked at the rims. They were thicker that the WWB ammo and when I removed those rounds and put all one brand name ammo in they worked, still just a tad tight but the cylinder rotate correctly with little or no binding.

Guess I need to make sure of the ammo if I'm going to use moon clips. The ones I got from SpeedBeez will undergo a bit of thinning (by .002") and then I should be good to go.

Thanks to all that responded.

mike4570

Bearcat
I had a couple S&W 940's over the years and found certain 9mm cases had slightly different extractor grooves. This lead to a problem closing the cylinder on occasion.

Latest posts