Super Blackhawk hammers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dave,

Good looking FT!

Only for future reference now:

1. The trigger pin is a pain. It's a challenge to get the wishbone spring compressed enough to clear the groove in the pin. But once I get the pin out the 1st time, I chamfer the edges of the groove in the pin which makes it easier the next time.

2. MY SHORTCUT FOR REMOVING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL in New Models:

Recognize, when JUST NEEDING to remove the hammer and/or pawl, you do not need to hassle with the PESKY LOADING GATE SPRING, pull the trigger pin, OR trigger/transfer bar. Once you remove the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only other part you need to remove. After that, just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger up into the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension with hole in it where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall back, down and out. Reinstall the hammer and pawl back in the same way they came out. Push the plunger in by pushing it against the trigger extension just like you did with the tip of the small screwdriver, and the hammer will slip by the trigger extension. Piece o' cake.

NOTE: Occasionally a hammer change that doesn't cock or just barely cocks is because it's hitting the back of the slot in the grip frame. I have had to slightly lengthen the slot with a few file strokes.
If either the trigger or hammer pin are snug fits, after they're removed the first time, it's the opportunity to polish them so they're slip fits to put back in and remove the next time.

3. When replacing New Vaq and New Model Blackhawk hammers, if you use the standard Blackhawk or SBH hammers, the result will be that the hammer base will not fit flush to the grip frame ears around the base.

The hammer underneath the SBH hammer is the New Vaq and NM Flat Top Blackhawk with large base 1.122" – 1.130" and narrow shank.
1-DSC_0041.jpg
Mike Campbell photo.

• For a standard hammer replacement for the ugly NV long horn hammer, just be sure to get the NM Flat Top Blackhawk hammer from a mid size frame model! It has the same size base as original hammer to fit flush and is the right height for the New Vaquero mid frame and transfer bar.
• To replace a FT BH hammer with a SBH hammer, the base will not be flush with the grip frame ears. If this cosmetic problem matters to you, use the NV Montado hammer which has the new slightly larger proper size base to fit flush with the grip frame ears.
• To use a Bisley hammer, the base has to be made smaller anyway, so it can be made flush to the ears by tracing original hammer.

Non flush hammer base fit:
1-DSC_0062.jpg
Mike Campbell photo.

Montado hammer base flush fit to ears in NV and NM FT BH:
orig.jpg

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Dave,

2. MY SHORTCUT FOR REMOVING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL in New Models:

Recognize, when JUST NEEDING to remove the hammer and/or pawl, you do not need to hassle with the PESKY LOADING GATE SPRING, pull the trigger pin, OR trigger/transfer bar. Once you remove the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only other part you need to remove. After that, just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger up into the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension with hole in it where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall back, down and out. Reinstall the hammer and pawl back in the same way they came out. Push the plunger in by pushing it against the trigger extension just like you did with the tip of the small screwdriver, and the hammer will slip by the trigger extension. Piece o' cake.

Thanks, Hondo44, I'll keep that on file for future reference. I did try to sneak the hammer out without removing the trigger, but I didn't know the little trick with the hammer plunger and it didn't work.

The cosmetic problem with the SBH hammer doesn't bother me, BUT..... I would have preferred the Montado, as it is probably the best looking of all the Ruger hammers, has the same low spur and fills the frame gap. It's just that they don't seem to be available; at least not without a little "horse trading" being involved!

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Power Custom makes a very quality Montado hammer, but they're significantly higher priced than Ruger's hammers.

Thanks for that info. I didn't see that when I searched, but I didn't know where to look. I will have to check them out.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dave Schwaab said:
Hondo44 said:
Power Custom makes a very quality Montado hammer, but they're significantly higher priced than Ruger's hammers.

Thanks for that info. I didn't see that when I searched, but I didn't know where to look. I will have to check them out.

Their website leaves something to be desired. Here's a link to it:
http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=1125

It has a 1/2 cock notch but it can just be ground off.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Their website leaves something to be desired. Here's a link to it:
http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=1125

It has a 1/2 cock notch but it can just be ground off.

Thanks for that. Not sure if I'll make the swap on my current gun, but I will definitely keep it in mind for a future custom job.