Opening a 480 to 475 Linebaugh?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Is it possible? Are there any advantages to doing so? I have one of the first 480 and it will not fire factory ammo. Cases stick. Its been back to factory twice to no avail. However my handloads mild or hot work perfectly.
TIA Charlie

Enigma

Hunter
My primary concern would be the length of the cylinder. It may well be too short to allow the use of .475 ammo with bullets seated to the normal length.

As far as 'will not fire factory ammo,' I think I'd seek resolution to that problem before I worried about voiding the warranty by rechambering the gun to a longer cartridge.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
From the well known custom revolver smith, John Linebaugh:

On the reaming, we don't feel it wise to chamber a cylinder to .475 that's .050" smaller in diameter than the standard Linebaugh built cylinder when dealing with the potential pressure the .475 Linebaugh is capable of producing. It's an uninsurable prospect. Can it be done? The answer is yes, but is it wise? No. Just discussing this I can assure you is sending shivers down the spine of Ruger & Co. as it is typed on open forum. They were very leery about releasing these for that reason. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see the whole project shut down if much more of this talk about reaming them to .475 continues online. I know for fact they're spooked about it already.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Until Trump rescinds Obammy's EO of 7-22-16 having the cylinder reamed to another caliber is considered manufacturing and BATFE has all the authority they need to go after anyone who does this work without a manufacturer's license which cost a couple thousand dollars a year. The EO also gave them authority to take action retroactively as well so for that reason I quit taking in any conversions.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A type 07 FFL is currently $150 to apply and $150 every three years. A bound book is required and must be turned in if/when the license is not renewed.
We have a lathe and equipment here and invited the ATFE rep in to tell us what we needed. This is good usually because a basement/garage hobbyist isn't necessarily "in the business" and so usually doesn't need to be hamstrung with local zoning and permits to do casual firearms work. A type 07 FFL also allows manufacturing most types of ammunition for sale. But getting insurance is quite another matter. And guess what happens when your insurance guy learns you have fifty pounds of evil gunpowder in your home?

Actually the ATFE wold have its hands full if they pursued every person who assembled their own AR15 from kits...
"Manufacturing" is a defined term so it doesn't matter what one thinks it should mean, and 'manufacturing' without a current FFL is a felony. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.