surprise to me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Having owned and shot my Williams Shooters Supply bisleys for awhile now, I decided to finally install Wolff reduced power mainsprings and trigger springs in both of them (.45 Colt and .41 Mag). As we gunsmith experts know, there is one bottom frame screw that is longer than the other(s); and, we know that it's there to engage the cut-out in the pin that holds the hammer in place. To my surprise, on one gun, the longer screw was on the left (when pointing the gun away from the expert) and on the other gun, the long screw was on the right side. Of course, this made me disassemble them both again to be sure I wasn't hallucinating (again). Nope, one was on the left and one was on the right and in each case, the notch in the hammer pin was (of course) appropriately above the screw as it should be. So I made an expert ASSUMPTION that the hammer pin and the screw can, indeed, be placed on either side without incident. Just curious how many others have come across this 'phenomenon' ? Please remember what your father said about only saying 'positive' things or nothing at all :)))))
J

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
In most cases what you say is true. I have ran into a couple that were either not drilled or tapped deep enough at one hole and would only assemble the way it came appart. Note in Rugers videos , they recommend keeping the screws in order to reassemble the way they were removed.

G2

Hunter
When I take a Ruger apart, I "Note" which side the hammer pin retaing screw comes from, "Gate" .

I also put the same side "B" screw in a little brown Ruger part bag to keep everything straight as if you think about it the left over 3 screws go in the default locations.

I have also noticed the reason the HPR screw can be on either side is, for what ever reason, the hammer pin "FLUSHES" usually better to one side or the other.
I have come across some Ruger's where this pin excessively protrudes to one side, once flipped, fits perfect....go figure.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks guys..... We all think alike.... Whatever hole a screw comes out of is the hole it goes back in; and I do have my system to assure they are kept 'straight". But I was really thrown with the fact that two identical guns came to me 'from the factory' with that long screw in opposite sides..... G2, I never thought of that but it certainly is possible... THANKS, J