Polishing the Slide Rails..?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seniorxj

Bearcat
Has anyone ever thought about polishing the slide rails the same as most do with the trigger components? Given a superve cleaning, the right attachmentl to get in there, & some Slide Glide, could there possibly be any harm if done correctly?

seniorxj

Bearcat
Not fixing anything. Figured we polish trigger components to make em work smoother & better. So I thought why not polish the sldes for smoothing up the action. Was basically thinking $ figured id ask.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
If you are talking about a 1911 & all, many builders do as much as they can to create a tight slide, all while getting it to just move freely. Any polishing is done to remove burrs, chips etc. Most slides have already had this done. Just use a good lubricant & enjoy!
Polishing the internals is just doing the same thing, removing burrs & such.

better to let the parts wear into each other (mesh) in time, with use and a good lube, than to try and buff out or fit to or in , a "jig" ,made to put the parts as the drawings call for ,instead of "fit" to each other, yes, time and use does this all over the period of use and break in......spend the money and time on good ammo or range time cost..................
we used to use 'Lubriplate', the stuff for camshafts/lifters, to fit meshing parts together,but then we had this all left over from our old engine building days back in the 60's 8) :roll: :wink:

Precision32

Blackhawk
seniorxj said:
Not fixing anything. Figured we polish trigger components to make em work smoother & better. So I thought why not polish the sldes for smoothing up the action. Was basically thinking $ figured id ask.

I do a lot of trigger jobs and have yet to "polish" a single one. I do use 600 to 1800 grit Arkansas and ceramic stones and all work is done by hand.

On firearms like the 1911 I stone the machined edges just enough to break all corners of mating parts but again, none are polished.