Ruger stock finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Does Ruger use a clear sealer, or a walnut stained sealer on there M77 stocks prior to applying the final finish? I've always assumed the American Walnut stocks are not stained. Am I wrong on this?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I doubt there is any type of sealer used. Most stocks i see have too many areas where the pores took in the finish and does not leave a completely smooth finish.

Im also guessing they use a stain to give a more uniform color. Minwax has a color called gunstock that is a pretty good match. I like to use satin hellmsman spar outdoor polyurethane for a topcoat. If the shine is too much for your liking you can dull it some with 0000 steel wool for a nice hand rubbed look.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Use Tru Oil you can get it at a gun shop. Strip the stock free of finish, and rub in the Tru Oil with your hands. Apply several coats 6 0r 7. After each coat dries remove the chunks with 4-0 steel wool. Easy does it. When it suits you apply a clear vinyl finish, again by hand, and the grain will jump out at YA! Note: take a damp sponge after the stock is stripped and wipe the stock with the sponge to raise the grain. Key word--Damp, not wet. I have done 100's like this with great results. The stockter has spoken! BHK

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Not sure about the real walnut ones but the cheaper guns with "hardwood" stocks are treated with goop most closely related to paint. The good and bad about that is what's underneath the Ruger Goop is not bad, usually kinda nice....but you can find filler if you look close enough. News flash, new cars have filler and paint repairs too....

johnww

Bearcat
I use TRU-OIL also. After raising the grain with a damp cloth, lightly sand in one direction with 0000 steel wool
or 600 grit automotive wet-or-dry sandpaper to remove any "whiskers" of grain. Birchwood-Casey has a "KIT"
that containes TRU-OIL, Filler-Conditioner, Conditioning Compound and Wax. Each may be purchased seperatly.
The depth of the finish depends upon the coats of TRU-OIL and wax applied. In my opinion (we know what opinions are likened to) gives a better finish than the "plastic" coatings.

Don't ruin a good American walnut stock with stain, it isn't necessary. I've refinished a couple of old Rugers that had that orange looking '70's varnish type finish on them. Stripped the stocks, whiskered them, then with small squares of 320 wet/dry, sanded in sloppy wet coats of a mixture of 1 part pure gum turpentine/3 parts boiled linseed oil, wiping it off then letting it dry. Repeat until the pores are filled. After this, hand rub small amounts of the same mixture until the desired finish is achieved. It's time consuming but oh, so rewarding:

Wish I could find a picture of the 77 I did. Looks like a custom stock.