Renaissance Wax is much Better than oil to protect all guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I have just gotten my first jar of the Renaissance Wax, developed and used by the British Museum, and I am very impressed. In the past, I have lightly gone over the outside with an oily rag after handling any weapon. This has worked to keep rust away, but always left finger prints and attracted a little dust.

This new wax has actually polished the blueing, and finger prints don't seem to show. The wood grips love this stuff. You can't tell there's anything on the weapon. What's not to like?

I need to know the downside to this wax. Does it gum up internals? Does it turn white inside a case or discolor the gun?

Why doesn't everyone use it?

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Never used it on guns but I put a coat on every custom knife I make, stainless or carbon, as the last step before I ship it to its owner. A lot of knife makers and collectors use it. I have been impressed as well.

REB

Single-Sixer
I'm interested in this as well.

My thought is the wax is a good protectant for the outer surfaces and may be good on internal parts for long term storage. I don't think I would use it on internal parts of firearms I use regularly instead I would use a good lubricant.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I am feeling the same way guys. No internal usage as yet.

The shine it puts on guns can't be achieved thru oil. It seems to work wonders on bluing, nichol, stainless steel, and wood. I have a nichol pistol that was kind of fogged and even after a polish, it went back to fog pretty quick. After using this wax, it has stayed gleaming for weeks now. I don't know how it keeps the fingerprints off, but it works wonders.

From the underwhelming response to my question, it would appear that the word WAX has scared the hell out of everybody. It doesn't seem to leave the gun with any "wax" on it after the polish. Shooters are pretty hard headed and slow to change. I hate leading the pack out front on this Protectant issue, but the results have me hooked.

Gun oil is death on wood grips. This stuff is like wood lanolin. My grips love it and look absolutely gorgeous after a nice polish. I started a new set of wood grips with nothing on them with this Renaissance wax. They are now beautiful. It reminds me of french polishing, but easier and faster.

There is no free lunch. Come on. Please! Somebody tell me the downside. There has to be one.

Challenge issued,
Prescut

contender

Ruger Guru
I have followed this thread as I hadn't heard any downsides about the stuff. I've not used it,,, but the guns I've seen that were treated by it sure do look nice!

SAJohn

Hunter
I have been a fan of waxing the outside surfaces of all of my blued steel firearms for many years. I have never had a problem with rust. I think it is especially important to wax rather than oil all metal to wood contact surfaces. Getting gun oil out of old walnut stocks is a real PITA.

Well, I got my jar of Renaissance Wax today. I got it, after reading this thread, to protect the fabulous bluing on the thin barrels on my Gold Label from my fingerprints. It now looks even better, no handling fingerprints to wipe off. Also put a great finish on the stock and stainless receiver. Odor is no worse than shoe polish, and goes away when you buff it.

So I went on a little frenzy. I put it on every blued barrel and receiver I have, every wood stock, my SS GP100, the cylinder on my LCR. Even on my kit-built Lyman Great Plains Rifle and pistol. To me they all look like they belong in Cabela's Gun Library. I love this stuff.

Prescut/Contender, I found a downside. I put my Gold Label back in the safe, lifting by the barrels with a t-shirt rag. The darned thing is so smooth it slipped right through and I banged it on the safe. Luckily, this is a hunter and shooter, not a safe Queen. None the less, I learned to be more careful. My thanks to Prescut for this thread!!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It is an excellent product. I've used it on handsaw blades, iron table saw and band saw tables, chisels, handplanes, and many other things. Besides rust prevention, it provides a durable slick surface which makes tools such as this perform much better.

The only downside I've heard is that it can be difficult to remove because of the polyethylene waxes in it's formulation. For example, if it's not fully removed it would likely interfere with rebluing of a frame or barrel, or refinishing of wood.

Btw, if you have a silver set that you're tired of constantly polishing to keep the tarnish off it, Renaissance will keep it from tarnishing since it excludes oxygen from attacking the metal.

I've used go ole Butchers Paste wax for years on my shop equipment.
Table saws planers everything even the base of my routers. Not sure
about Renaissance Wax never heard of it. Is it similar?

Flitz gun wax on my firearms. ps

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
powder smoke said:
I've used go ole Butchers Paste wax for years on my shop equipment.
Table saws planers everything even the base of my routers. Not sure
about Renaissance Wax never heard of it. Is it similar?

Flitz gun wax on my firearms. ps

Most any wax, including plain old Johnsons paste will work on shop equipment. Renaissance just lasts a lot longer and does offer better protection. It's chemically different than other waxes. Quite a bit more expensive initially tho.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
I've been using RW for a couple years for wood and guns. Works well. I've used Johnson's paste wax for gun metal protection for 30+ years with no rusting. Wax works and RW is supposed to be world's best.

SATCOM

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Downside? Okay, your talking about a product used in a Museum, a place made up of climate controlled spaces, indoors.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
PriseDeFer said:
Downside? Okay, your talking about a product used in a Museum, a place made up of climate controlled spaces, indoors.

Waxes of various kinds (including RW) is used on cars all the time to protect the finish and make it easier to remove bug splatter. I don't know anyone who oils the finish on their ride. They are not restricted to climate controlled indoor spaces. :)

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
No, I wish I did but I don't. They get pretty rough, poor things, they'd do better
with someone else.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Update from OP:
I talked to the national distributor, Dennis, because I had a problem with too much wax on a stainless steel pistol and then had powder residue on the end of the cylinder. I used CLP to clean it off and it seemed to ball the wax in a few spots. That's just a guess. Dennis says to clean using mineral spirits to get RW off and then reapply. He says put on a little and buff immediately. Don't wait to dry. Don't use too much. I think I got a little carried away.
I will update after cleaning and reapplying.

Prescut
Dennis says NRA, FBI, CIA use it.

Latest posts