Lowering Trigger Pull Weight ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Brand new GP100
I would like to have a lighter trigger in single and double action.
Smithing or is there an aftermarket trigger for it ?
By lighter I mean say #2.5 in single action

Thel

Blackhawk
You will either have to do an action job yourself or have a gunsmith do it. As far as I know there are no trigger kits available to use.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Reduced power springs will go a long way towards reducing trigger pull. A little smoothing-up work will also help.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/303418

Boge

Single-Sixer
Reducing a GP100 SA pull to 2.5 lbs. is almost impossible and be 100% reliable with all factory ammo IMO. I think many exaggerate what light weight they think they need. I am totally opposed to light weight springs IF the gun is to be used in any shape or form for defense. I think as well that many believe a hair trigger will automatically make them a champion shooter. It will not any more than owning a Steinway will make you ready for Carnegie Hall.

I would recommend an action job by a 'smith familiar with Rugers as, despite what many Colt & S&W snobs believe, a Ruger can be tweaked just as good IMO (and I own those aforementioned as well). The secret is too make the pull smoother and not necessarily lighter. Finally, shooting a DA revolver in DAO mode can make one a far better shot than merely lobbing lead downrange SA.

medicdave

Blackhawk
+1 on what Boge said. Reduced power springs also increase lock time making follow through more important. Poor technique won't be helped, and may actually have you shooting worse. Smooth is much better than light in my book.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Boge said:
Reducing a GP100 SA pull to 2.5 lbs. is almost impossible and be 100% reliable with all factory ammo IMO. I think many exaggerate what light weight they think they need. I am totally opposed to light weight springs IF the gun is to be used in any shape or form for defense. I think as well that many believe a hair trigger will automatically make them a champion shooter. It will not any more than owning a Steinway will make you ready for Carnegie Hall.

I would recommend an action job by a 'smith familiar with Rugers as, despite what many Colt & S&W snobs believe, a Ruger can be tweaked just as good IMO (and I own those aforementioned as well). The secret is too make the pull smoother and not necessarily lighter. Finally, shooting a DA revolver in DAO mode can make one a far better shot than merely lobbing lead downrange SA.

Not lookinmg for a hair trigger, I just prefer a lighter crisp trigger pull.
Almost all my firearms have trigger pulls about #2.5, some at about #1.75
None are bench guns, all are hunting guns.
My carry guns have under #3.5 pull

Boge

Single-Sixer
Hylander said:
Not lookinmg for a hair trigger, I just prefer a lighter crisp trigger pull.
Almost all my firearms have trigger pulls about #2.5, some at about #1.75
None are bench guns, all are hunting guns.
My carry guns have under #3.5 pull

I have a hunch you are talking about SINGLE action revolvers here & not DA. Their ignition systems are different. As well, if your CCW's have trigger pulls that light then you are going against traditional wisdom by experts who seem to all agree to never go under 4.5 lbs. on a defensive handgun. Personally, I think that is great advice as people tend to get "twitchy" when under extreme stress, especially if the person has never had to point a handgun at another human in a defensive situation before.

Thel

Blackhawk
I agree with Boge. As to obtaining it you probably need the services of a Ruger pistolsmith. Creep can also be eliminated in the pull at the same time. I also have or had Colts including a Python and Smiths and the GP can be tuned to be in the same ball park with respect to pull weight and creep elimination. The GP I have has a single action at 2.5 lbs and double at 7.4 lbs and works with all primers. This is in the same area as my S&W medium frames. Springs will lighten the pull but not eliminate creep and friction in the action. Going way down on the mainspring will increase lock time (but that can be offset by lightening the hammer). However,
to a great degree single action weight is influence primarily by the trigger return spring so one could have a somewhat lighter mainspring without using the lightest.

Did know a guy who had a 1911 with a 4.5 lb trigger. Got in a shootout coming home from work. A gang banger pulled alongside and began popping off some rounds at him and he drew his 1911 from a mount in the truck. Whilst drawing it he managed to shoot the firewall several times. Ultimately, he got away but was peeved that he shot his beloved truck.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
I am talking talking getting my GP to #2.5 -#3 in SA mode.
I know traditional wisdom is a trigger over #4.5 and also believe most people should be at that.
However, for me #4.5 is just to high for any trigger, Prefer #2.5 - #3.

Regarding the guy that shot his firewall several times even with a #4.5 trigger pull, makes me question that he should be carry a gun in the first place.

Thel

Blackhawk
Back to your question, the trigger should be able to be reduced to 2.5 -3.0 lbs single action. This will require polishing and trigger springs. I would use the Wolff 8 lb trigger return spring and 9 lb mainspring (it is what I have in mine). There is an outfit in Culver City, CA last I knew, TJ Custom (not Teddy Jacobson in Texas) that tunes Rugers but he is not cheap. Here is a link to a do it yourself by Kevin Wilson for a SP but the techniques work the same on the GP:

http://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html

with respect to polishing. As I stated my GP is around 2.5 lbs single action.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Thel said:
Back to your question, the trigger should be able to be reduced to 2.5 -3.0 lbs single action. This will require polishing and trigger springs. I would use the Wolff 8 lb trigger return spring and 9 lb mainspring (it is what I have in mine). There is an outfit in Culver City, CA last I knew, TJ Custom (not Teddy Jacobson in Texas) that tunes Rugers but he is not cheap. Here is a link to a do it yourself by Kevin Wilson for a SP but the techniques work the same on the GP:

with respect to polishing. As I stated my GP is around 2.5 lbs single action.

Thanks Thel :)
Thats the kind of info I was hoping for.
This will not be a carry gun, but mainly for Cast Silhoette matches and maybe hunting.
I will be doing the trigger work myself. I have done several rifle triggers and few 1911 triggers and Blackhawk triggers, just not any DA triggers yet.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
This guide for the SP-101 will give you all the info you need to work on your GP-100 as they are similar in mechanics.

Thel

Blackhawk
One thing I forgot is you may want to get some shims for the hammer, trigger and hammer dog at:

http://www.triggershims.com/rsa_shims.html

This will cut drag in the action and give a more consistent trigger pull. It will allow a slight reduction in trigger pull weight.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Thel said:
One thing I forgot is you may want to get some shims for the hammer, trigger and hammer dog at:

http://www.triggershims.com/rsa_shims.html

This will cut drag in the action and give a more consistent trigger pull. It will allow a slight reduction in trigger pull weight.

Thanks Thel :)