Hornady A-Tip Match Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is aimed squarely at serious long range match shooters.

Hornady has just released a new match bullet in a few calibers, that they claim is the best production match bullet on the market. See this - includes video.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-tip-match#!/

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
DixieBoy said:
Thanks Gunny!

I am not a match rifle shooter but I have been very interested in .308 bolt guns at longer ranges for a while now. And, much as I've tried to avoid being swept up in the 6.5 Creedmore fuss, I have a friend who is doing his best to be a bad influence on me, as to buying another bolt gun.

One thing is for certain: the big bullet makers are giving us more accurate projectiles than ever before. At first, I thought your post was referencing the Hornady A Max, which is not a new projectile. I was wrong. This A Tip is a whole new bullet. We've got awesome rifle bullets available now from Sierra, Berger, Nosler, and Hornady is determined to push things even further.

I'm not a long range match shooter, but this is a great time to shoot longer range rifles for fun! - DixieBoy

Many years ago, I'd have jumped on these - but they hadn't been invented back then. Anyway, here's a pretty good review:

Excerpt:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/hornady-a-tip-a-new-match-bullet-designed-for-consistency-at-long-range/ar-BBWgtdP

Hornady A-Tip: A New Match Bullet Designed for Consistency at Long Range

In The Field

Before getting into the weeds on what is different about this bullet, I'll start with my own observations after having shot a few hundred rounds (as of this writing) of this new projectile.

Most importantly, the A-Tip lives up to its central promise of delivering excellent shot-to-shot consistency, particularly at longer ranges.

When stretching it out to 1,000 yards or more it isn't unusual to see bullets impacting at different elevations even though the shooting conditions and the shooter's hold are the same from one shot to the next. It's one of those things that drives long-range shooters to drink. While there are several potential culprits to explain this phenomenon, one of them is variability in the amount of drag bullets experience as they fly downrange, which can be caused by the inconsistencies in bullet construction I mentioned above.

The A-Tip minimizes this variability. Naturally, Hornady has charts and graphs generated from data gathered via Doppler Radar showing how the A-Tip performs more consistently than many other match bullets out there, but for me the proof was seeing how they shot in real-world conditions.

I spent a few days down in Texas at the FTW Ranch with a group of shooters and writers getting an early look at the A-Tip and taking it out past 2,000 yards. It was quickly apparent to me that the vertical variability with the bullet was much less than I typically experience with polymer-tipped match bullets and most OTMs.

Most of the time I was behind a 6mm Creedmoor, built by George Gardner, shooting the 110-grain A-Tips. Out to 1,400 yards the rifle was a laser beam and I had no difficulty making hits even at 1,800 yards.

For the really long-range work we stepped up to a 300 PRC loaded with the 250-grain A-Tip. The winds were fierce and the targets were fuzzy in the mirage through our scopes, but nonetheless we were able to ring steel at 2,000 yards and beyond.

Since then, I got my hands on a batch of the production 6mm 110-grainers and have been loading them for competition with good results. (Initially, the A-Tip is only going to be offered as a reloading component, though I'm sure that down the road Hornady and others will be loading match ammo with it.)

gunzo

Hunter
They are not gonna be cheap, but the best usually never is.

I too have heard some very positive results with these bullets. Hornady seems to be really on the move these days.

Not a match shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but love shooting and reloading. Hornady is my go to for projectiles always been consistent. You know
what your getting! Looking forward to try some of these out! 308 definitely!

LAH

Buckeye
Was at the factory a couple weeks ago. They are big on these.

grobin

Blackhawk
I'm going to try some as is a friend-I've a 6.5 and he just got a 300PRC. THE 6.5 are around $0.72/ !