Speeds, Feeds and Ballistics 40S&W - I Shot My Chronograph

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
Another episode of Speeds, Feeds and Ballistics this time with 40S&W. Much like the first video of testing 10MM through a pistol and carbine we put 40S&W through the same test. But this time I have a little bit of a surprise for everyone and no it is not the fact that I shot my chronograph.

https://youtu.be/NBzd6NzAI7Q

Will Caliber Wars ever come to an end? So far I have tested 10MM and now 40S&W next up 9MM. Is it really true that with the advancement in bullet technology caliber doesn't matter anymore?

So what do you think is the ideal barrel length for 40S&W? Leave your comments below.

I too, have dinged my Chrony while testing handgun ammo. Didn't even put a hole in it but the glancing strike must have dislodged something internally.
Caliber Wars???
With the advent of modern designed expanding bullets, the "caliber" thing has become less an issue than other factors. Fifty years ago, there was no doubt that a blunt nosed 45 was generally a superior "stopper" vs a pointed nose 9mm. Now days, those lines are getting blurry (and it's not just 70 YO vision). Most current considerations are just how controllable a tiny "carry pistol" can be using the bigger than 9mm rounds.
Big handguns(physically and bore size) will always be needed for certain uses. I see limits on how much power can be stuffed into a little gun and still be controllable.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I see the 10mm and .40 S&W as very logical rounds that fit a real need and open space in the previous calibers available. Not so much the Sig round. Apparently a lot of law enforcement and other users see it too. What I would like to see is a rimmed revolver round in the same class. Maybe a .41 short to be shot in .41 special guns which is another thing on my wish list. The 10 mm tempts me but I really do not want a rimless revolver round even if it works.

grobin

Blackhawk
The Chicago tests done a bit over 100 years ago did a definitive job for shooting rocks (nonexpanding; 38LC, 45, ... for bullets like FMJ, hard cast, round nose, WC, ...). With modern higher muzzle velocity loads maybe this should be revisited (9mm with Buffalo Bore hard cast was used to kill a grizzly). With modern expanding loads; frangable, fragmenting, expanding, ... this needs to be revisited but the 9mm does the job just fine.

There are times when a 10mm or 45 has advantages over a 9mm; fur, heavy clothing, heavy hide, light vest.... (The 40 not so much!)

Regardless of muzzle energy a sufficiently well placed 22lr will do the job, where a miss with a 50BMG is just a miss-may scare him/her/it worse though.

Nice set of measurements THANKS!

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I find it interesting that the FBI has decided to go back to the 9mm. They found that not only did they have reliability problems with their .40 pistols, but they also had issues with their personnel not being able to shoot the .40 as accurately. I know that I find the .40 to be a little too "snappy" for my tastes. I can shoot it accurately enough, but I'm afraid that range sessions would end up being a little of a chore for me with it. I have seen police officers that struggled with their issue .40s, that shot very competently with another pistol.

If I lived in grizzly country, I would consider a heavier hitter for self defense than 9mm. Here on the East Coast, I'm fine with nine. Heck, I wouldn't feel undergunned with an SP101 and 5 +P .38 specials.