plated bullets for 327 Fed Mag.?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Can someone recommend a source for plated bullets for the 327 Fed Mag.? I've looked at Berry's site and all they have is a 70 gr (which I suspect is really for a .32 auto cartridge). If there is a plated bullet for the 327, a recommended load (or reloading source) would be appreciated. I typically use lead bullets of the 100 to 115 gr variety or 115 grain jacketed. THANKS, J.

Cholo

Staff member
They have a 100 gr. bullets here:

http://www.rainierballistics.com/products-leadsafe-copper-jacket-bullet/

I believe the loading data for this type of bullet is the same as for lead.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I have been looking also but find none with a crimp groove. I suppose you could crimp over the ogive like I go with the Lyman 311008 115 gr. cast bullet that shoots great in my Single Sevens.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks for the info gentlemen. I do believe you're correct about crimping as if it were a lead bullet. I've used plated bullets in my .45ACPs and IIRC you can crimp 'into' the plating since it's basically a lead bullet with minimum surface plating. I'm going to check them out; forgot all about rainier bullets.....Thanks again, J

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You might want to try some poly coated hardcast bullets, the price is good and I have pushed some in 9mm beyond normal hardcast velocities with no leading.

http://www.snscasting.com/32-32-20/

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks CW; that is a great idea. I'm just trying to keep the leading and costs down. These look excellent............. J

dougader

Hunter
If your 327 is a single 7 then make sure the loaded round will work with your intended bullet. The cylinder on the single 7 is a bit short.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm shooting a Freedom Arms Mod. '97. I typically check for length just as a precaution. Didn't know that the Rugers have a short cylinder; good to know .............thanks,
J

contender

Ruger Guru
The Ruger Blackhawk in 327 has a longer cylinder. The newer Single-Seven has a shorter cylinder. Plated bullets are nice to keep down leading but if you are truly using the 327 to it's potential, then you need to look at other choices. If more target shooting, and plinking is done, then plated will be just fine.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Contender, I'm pretty much back to just targets and plinking these days. J

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I use the Missouri Bullet company "hi-tek" coated 120grain Cowboy bullet for the .32-20 over five grains or so of Titegroup. I am shooting it out of a 4 5'8s Single Seven and getting about 1200FPS give or take. No leading at all.

Andrew

Johnnu2

Hunter
Will look that one up; I shoot the .32-20 as one of my "other" favorites. Thanks Tin Star

What I have read recommends NOT heavily crimping the no-groove bullets into the plating. Apparently this may damage the plating to the extent it can strip off during firing and complicate the leading effect. Perhaps a nice taper crimp would suffice.

I have no experience with these, just passing along info for whatever it's worth.

;)

Ethang

Blackhawk
TinStarFirearms said:
I use the Missouri Bullet company "hi-tek" coated 120grain Cowboy bullet for the .32-20 over five grains or so of Titegroup. I am shooting it out of a 4 5'8s Single Seven and getting about 1200FPS give or take. No leading at all.

Andrew

I have that bullet planned for my next order. I have a ton of the 100 grain standard. How is this one shooting for you?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Roll crimping just a little over the beginning of the ogive is the way I crimp the Lyman 115 gr. 311008 cast bullet. It has no crimp groove either,just two lube grooves. It looks and shoots just fine and the roll crimp makes feeding the chambers nice and slick. My favorite .32 bullet and very accurate.

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
Ethang,
Sorry for the delay in responding. This .32-20 bullet hasn't been shot on paper as of yet. My base pin was jumping with about every other shot so I put off shooting until I got a replacement from Wolfe. It still jumped one time on the next cylinder full but that I see as an improvement.

I do really like the cleanliness of the barrel after firing. I would suggest buying one of their 100 piece sample packs first. This box of 500 pieces will last me forever.

Andrew

Latest posts