Montana gold

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Looked around for various bullets this morning and montana gold sure is pricing themselves right off of my list. Some of what im looking for can be had from nosler for $40 for 250ct and similar from montana gold is running $27 or so per 100?? I dont think they have any real gold in em do they? Lol

Id expect it from rem or win or even barnes but what started out to be a pretty economical bullet , montana gold had gotten a little out of hand imo...

6gun

Hunter
I agree I use to buy lots of Montana Gold bullets bulk from a local gun shop use to pay $9 for 100 .357 in 158gr. just last year now their price is right up there with all the major brands.

Thing is they are ok bullets but not as good as the others they are not worth the price, their brass jackets cost less to produce than companies using copper plus they have never been as accurate in my experience as copper jacketed bullets.

I still have a few hundred left I haven't loaded yet but when they are gone I'm done with Montana gold they priced their self out of the market far as I'm concerned, I'll go back to using Speer or Winchester for my .357's.

I emailed them about 6 months ago and warned them they were pricing their selves out of the market but got no response from them.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I've been using Montana Gold bullets for six years. The particular bullet I buy from them most often is their 9mm 124gr FMJ bullet. I have always bought in bulk from them, my orders range from over 10,000 to 7500 quantities for that bullet. Six years ago it was $.082 per bullet, then four years ago it was $.085 per bullet and now it is $.093 per bullet buying in this manner. During that time frame the prices for lead and copper and other bullet materials have close to doubled on the world market. There has been a crash recently in raw material prices, it will be interesting to see if bullet prices will drop in time.

That 9mm FMJ bullet is the most accurate I have ever tried in my 9mm pistols and the quality and consistency is remarkable. I can grab any 10 from a case and they will range the same in weight, not close to the same, the same. The diameters are always on the money, always. I'm a huge fan of Montana Gold, I have tried everyone's bullets and I mean everyone's and that certain bullet is by far the best I have found.

I will admit that their pricing for .45 ACP bullets is very high, even in bulk but I guess I just won't buy those.

...but I will continue to buy that 9mm 124gr FMJ from them as long as they make them.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Everyone understands the rise in raw material prices...that does not explain the big price difference between MG and Nosler. MG is at $105/500 for what im looking at and Nosler is $25 less for 500 comperable bullets. MG has the worst pricing spreads between a batch of 100 or 500 up as well. $21 per 100 with a 500 count or $27.25 per hundred. They lost my business. Next order is going to be Nosler...

contender

Ruger Guru
A lot of competition shooters use MG bullets. Proven winners. They have built a good reputation and now folks pay more for them.

sixshot

Buckeye
Montana Gold has always been very generous to USPSA shooters & donated lots of bullets & also sponsored many of the USA's top professional shooters for many years. Their bullets have always been top quality but its like arguing Chevy & Ford, you can't please everyone. I remember winning a case of bullets one time at either the Area I or Area II championships & they were great bullets (40 caliber) although I had always shot cast in my competition revolvers. After I shot them up I went back to cast & now I shoot Idaho Reds! Don't know about pricing as I've always made my own but MG bullets were first rate.

Dick

6gun

Hunter
Maybe their full metal jackets for semi auto's are a different story than their jacketed hollow points for revolvers, I had to stop using their .357 125gr. jacketed hollow points at the range they were sending fragments all over the place, one trip to the range I had three different people walk over and accuse me of using Frangible bullets the range does not allow, one guy accused me of shooting his target even after I showed him my 12 empty cases and pointed out the 12 holes in my target, another trip some how a fragment flew over the barrier and hit someone at the rifle range.

Also in my experience their hollow points don't expand I have talked to quite a few people that say the same thing, their brass jackets are just to brittle and fragment rather than expand, I contacted MG and they refused to tell me what alloys their jackets are made of and refused to say whether or not they even have any copper content.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
As far as I know Montana Gold hollow points aren't really designed for expansion. They may make some HP's designed for expansion but they mostly make target bullets, the hollow cavity is used to lengthen the true bearing surface of the bullet which many think improves accuracy of a given bullet without adding weight.
Hornady's HAP bullets, which I also use, have a hollow cavity for just this purpose.
Berry's bullets has some bullets employing a reverse on the same theory of extended bearing surface improving accuracy, using a hollow cavity in the base.
A lot of 9mm Major shooters use HP bullets to make a cartridge that will still fit in a standard 9mm magazine but allows more room for powder in the case. The chambers of their guns normally have to be taper stepped (lengthened) in order to clear the now extended ogive point from the rifling transition.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Years ago I used to shoot a lot of their 158 gr .357s...LGS had an open carton of them and you could bag up how many you wanted for 10 cents each. They grouped quite well from my 6" Combat Magnum...

Two centavos....