Where did the parts go?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rutcutter

Single-Sixer
When Ruger updated old models to the new tranfer bar system, what did they do with the original parts IE: hammers, gripframes etc.

Thanks in advance for the answers

Mike

Theoretically, they returned all of them to the guns' owners.

At least that was the plan.

There have been a couple of documented instances where it apparently didn't happen, but it's pretty rare.

Grip frames weren't changed, just the "working parts".

:)

not wanting to "throw away" anything,after the change to the "New Models" they most likely used them for factory 'repairs' , sold some to various gun shops & gunsmiths back then....then around the time of the "lawsuits" ( mid 70's??) they stopped supplying "old model " parts.............I know we used to order them back then for 'repairs' .( they'd sell to 'smiths' but not the public..)
I'd bet they never MADE any more, after that, no need to.
Some of the other gun companies even stopped having "out side" repairs, especially "warranty work" and wanted all the warranty /repair work to come back to the factory...........(the 70's there was some serious 'litigations' in the gun industry) this is what 'spurned' the "writing" (billboard) warnings on the barrels..........

as for what Ale-8 mentions above, the "safety conversions" of the old ,models, basically just took out the "old model" works ( innards) and out in the safety conversion parts) and we've "heard
stories and tales of folks NOT getting their 'OM' parts back , but have NOT seen or had any NOT come back to us, or by anyone we know who has had it done..............

was wondering after I typed it all out, if that was the case, but we got it covered in either way............always had visions of "old model" parts ,sitting on a shelve or in a warehouse, someplace...but I recall there was a guy(a 'local' gunsmith or shop)??, worked at Southport, and destroyed bunches of stuff over time..................they brough him 'pallets' of things, never could get a "fix" on the details , but heard through a third party................now where is that "little mouse..." (Pepino......) :roll:
bottom line, so much for the "story" they NEVER threw anything away...BS!
maybe when Bill Sr was actually "hands on..." 8)

rutcutter

Single-Sixer
I don't have much knowledge of these conversions. I just was figuring they replaced the grip frames also because of the trigger return spring.

The whole reason I am asking these questions is that I want to put some Dragoon style grip frames on an set of Old Armies.

Thought maybe I could find some from these conversions.

Thanks guys!!

Mike

The conversions retained the original trigger return arrangement and grip frame.

New Model Super grip frames can be mounted on Old Armys with a little work.

Yeah, Dan, that thought gives me the "willies". Just think . . . all those left-over Old Model hammers and triggers, not to mention the grip frames. Into the scrap heap. Makes me wanna cry.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Mike, they pop up for sale from time to time, but you gotta make sure you get the "old model" frames, that have the hole in the back of the trigger guard....OR you gotta do one of them 'handy-dandy": Mr Flatgate" thingy majigs that use a drilled out block or "whatever" to fill-in the slot that is in the "new model" frames......

pictures, may follow???? :roll:

And man, have you noticed the going prices of gen-u-wine Old Model Super grip frames?

Whew!!

Makes those little "thingy majigs" look more attractive with a New Model grip frame.

Betcha somebody will post Flatgate's "thingy" link.

;)

Latest posts