Any word on a compact SR1911 yet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44shootist

Single-Sixer
I want a SR1911 compact with 3" barrel for carry, anyone have any inside info. on what Ruger is planning? no rumers please.
I have held off on buying a SR1911 not wanting a full size, I'm in need off a self defence gun right now more than a range pistol.

hittman

Staff member
Wouldn't hold my breath. Hopefully they're working on meeting demand for the one they introducted in April.

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
44Shootist

I'd love to see a 3" incher model. I think it would be a great carry piece. Kimber and other big name sellers make 'em, so obviously there is a demand for a small 1911.

A.W.

chm270

Single-Sixer
Well one reason they haven't yet is that a 3" 1911 is not a 5"" cut down 2 inches.
It would take a lot of extra engineering and tooling to start a 3" line.
There's plenty of good 3" models available if someone really needs one right away.
And they will be easy to sell for not much of a loss when Ruger (if they decide to) comes out with one.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I suspect the next 1911 we see from Ruger will look pretty much the same as the current 1911 with the exception of a picatinny rail.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro said:
I suspect the next 1911 we see from Ruger will look pretty much the same as the current 1911 with the exception of a picatinny rail.
That's a possibility, but if they listen to their customers it would more than likely be a black or blued version. I think they could have a Cerakote option now if they wanted to. It wouldn't take much to set up an paint and bake area. 8) Black slide/SS frame, Black frame/SS slide, or both black would make nice options.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Leucoandro said:

I hate "picky" rails. They're ugly and ruin the classic lines of the gun.

I'm with Wall, mostly likely think it will be a blue/black version. OR, will be a 4" Commander style.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't doubt that a railed version of the SR1911 will eventually show up. For those that like the 1911 platform and train with a rail mounted flashlight, the railed 1911s are the way to go for HD which is the point where the classic lines are of no concern and function over form takes over. I have a Colt Rail gun for the purpose of HD but even with the FCS and rail, it looks pretty good to me. The 1911 is a classic design but I'm not enough of a traditionalist to gag at the thought of a few changes to the outside looks if it serves a purpose.

I'd like to personally see a 3" model in the future. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry right now for my Winter carry but I would defiantly consider changing it out for a SR1911 "Defender" sized model.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
The Wall said:
Leucoandro said:
That's a possibility, but if they listen to their customers it would more than likely be a black or blued version. I think they could have a Cerakote option now if they wanted to. It wouldn't take much to set up an paint and bake area. 8) Black slide/SS frame, Black frame/SS slide, or both black would make nice options.

I just see it as the next logical step, as the lower frame is molded with enough steel on the dust guard to be able to turn it into a picatinny rail

From Gunblast.com
DSC07075.JPG

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm

Charlie

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yes yes. 'Cause everybody knows any "real" pistolero hangs crap on their 1911!

Leave the rails for the mall ninjas.

My lunch money goes with Ruger selling more current-configuration 1911's and keeping marketshare that Remington and SA continue to miss by pricepoint-for-feature alone. Keep the current gun below 700 real-world counter price and they'll be backlogged deeply into 2012.

JMHO.

mohavesam said:
Yes yes. 'Cause everybody knows any "real" pistolero hangs crap on their 1911!

Leave the rails for the mall ninjas.

My lunch money goes with Ruger selling more current-configuration 1911's and keeping marketshare that Remington and SA continue to miss by pricepoint-for-feature alone. Keep the current gun below 700 real-world counter price and they'll be backlogged deeply into 2012.

JMHO.

I agree with your lunch money, definitely into the end of 2012, possibly even 2013. The mall ninjas can have their crap, but I still like my rails and the ability to have my guns in multiple configurations, if this makes me a mall ninja, anybody with that opinion can, well..... o_O