No More SR1911?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GaryT

Bearcat
I was in one of my local shops today and they have on display a Ruger SR1911, along with a sample target. I asked if I could fondle it, and the salesman told me that Ruger has stopped production of the SR1911. That doesn't seem right to me...everything I've read indicates it's highly successful. Why would they discontinue it? Has anyone else heard this, or is the sale guy smoking something funny?

hittman

Staff member
You're good to disregard most of what you hear in many gun stores. At least that's true around here.

Production stopped? Doubt it. Granted, it's been crawling at a snails pace but can't imagine it's stopped.

bennettfam

Single-Sixer
Stopping production and discontinuing a model are two very different things.

"Production" will probably resume after they fix a glitch or meet other production priorities or whatever is causing that dealer problems in getting more of them.

I heard the same thing back when I was trying to find my SR9 in 2009. Just curious, what did he try to sell you instead when he told you the SR1911 was out of production?

Grendel

Single-Sixer
9 out of 10 gun shop employees...and this is conservative...are completely and utterly full of s--t.

-JT

ranger1

Buckeye
Grendel said:
9 out of 10 gun shop employees...and this is conservative...are completely and utterly full of s--t.

-JT

Yup, and the sad thing is that many customers believe them.

I can't remember how many times I've walked into a gun shop and asked when they are getting a certain gun, and their reply is: "Never heard of it".

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Your gun shop salesman is dead wrong, I have a email sent to me From the Ruger CEO last month, that states they had added another production line for the SR1911 and soon as it gets up to speed we will be seeing them in stores at a more timely manner.

Chris

Blackhawk
According to the Plant mgr in Prescott I talked to 3 plus months ago, they were at the time making 2000/week. Where they are beats me!

hittman

Staff member
Well, now I've seen here rumors anywhere from discontinued to 200 weekly to 2000 weekly. Surely the truth lies somewhere in-between.

My guess is more like 200 a month.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
Ruger in Prescott,Az is only putting out 50-60 SR1911s daily. I was down there before I went to the shot show and had a chat with one of the plant sups.

Chris

Blackhawk
Hitman
You are probably correct, but this is what I was told. In addition he said it wasn't a production issue, it was more on a distribution issue. In any event it doesn't make sense.

Sugar River

Buckeye
rich642z said:
Ruger in Prescott,Az is only putting out 50-60 SR1911s daily. I was down there before I went to the shot show and had a chat with one of the plant sups.

This coincides with a reply someone here got from a question sent to the CEO in which he said they were making 300 per week.

Hopefully another production line will double the output.

Pete

Just One Shot

Bearcat
I was at this months local gun show and ran into a guy who was selling a 1911. I ask him if it was the Ruger, he said yes it's the one you can't get and won't be able to get. I played along and ask him how much. He said something like $975.00! I simply said ok thanks and walked away snickering. About an hour later he was standing in the same spot and the Ruger was still in his hand. I guess some people will believe anything. :lol:

I just picked my second SR1911 today, I placed the "special order" last Saturday at one of my regular places and the salesman stated that there were four others ahead of me and he expected I would see mine in a couple/three weeks.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive the call last night that it was in, they placed MY order on Monday and their distributor shipped the guns right out to them.

When I picked it up, the salesman told me that Ruger has increased production and that they were told by their distributor that they will have more available on a weekly basis now.

The serial number of the pistol I picked up today is 670-127XX so that means they have produced that many since beginning of normal production in January of 2011, just about 1000 a month average....my test fire date on today's pistol is 1/26/2012...

I will continue to buy them before the inevitable price increase occurs...

Bozack

Single-Sixer
I was just in a gun store today that said the same thing as was told to Gary T.
All the stores around here won't even order one for me. I was even told that Ruger was losing money on the SR1911. So what is the truth?