The Passing of a Legend/Hero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bud Anderson a Triple Ace who flew in WWII, Korea,and at 48 years old in Vietnam, was not as well known as Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover but he was of the same Metal.
A great American Hero. RIP Old Crow.

Grandson Chad and Bud checking out the Warbirds at Oshkosh Airshow

1716054724661.png

Tribute to a Legend
The passing of a legend is always some kind of a mystery to which we ask the question Why? We think that legends are immortal.
Mourning the death of legends is not exactly like mourning the passing of a family member or a beloved friend. The latter creates a huge void in the lives of the family or the circle of friends, but Bud was our friend and in a very special way a part of our Warbird family.

Today we have lost a legend. The passing of one of our greatest WWII Aces has left us mourning the loss of a truly honorable and exceptional man. We are all afforded one lifetime and Bud made the very most of it. We all are fortunate to have had our lives touched by his.
We honor the tremendous legacy of Bud Anderson. So please take a moment and remember how lucky we all have been to have known such a treasure to humanity.
Bud's years as a test pilot were at least as risky. In one bizarre experiment, he repeatedly linked up in midair with B-29 bomber, wingtip to wingtip. In other tests he flew a jet fighter that was launched and retrieved from a giant B-36 bomber. As in combat, he lost many friends flying tests such as these.

1716054820913.png

"The crow has amazing aim for its prey and never forgets an enemy," said Anderson. "But I named it after the whisky!"

1716055023014.png

Sad to hear the passing. RIP... We both have seen specials and read about his life:

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds,—and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air ....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor ever eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.".

Topfueler1

Bearcat
May he rest in peace a good man. My condolences to his family. Thank you Col. Anderson Mr. Bud. I saw him in person at the WWII Weekend Show in Reading, PA airport. The 33rd annual show is coming up June 7-9 2024 it always coincides with D Day. There will be three P-51 Mustangs there maybe they will do a tribute flight for him. I will be there. I have the t-shirt and sweatshirt of his P51 Mustang "Old Crow" which he flew in WWII.

Last edited:
I saw him last when I was in PA when he was at World War 2 days in Reading. I was an amazing time as there were Band of Brothers, and other vets there as well. I'll cherish the moments spent there talking to them.

Rest in Peace, sir!😥

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I would like to extend my condolences to Buds family and friends…Thanks for keeping us all safe.
I have to add to that, as I am a very big WW II enthusiast. I have also seen many videos with Bud and loved them all, and his approach to his skills and his service. I am saddened to hear of his passing!

Latest posts