Skeeter's Birthday.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I saw that May 1 is Skeeter Skelton's birthday. I had Alan Harton work this blackhawk over with the "Skeeter Gun" look. 4 5/8 barrel, front sight, base pin. I like my guns in 45 Colt though. Zane Thompson made the walrus ivory grips. One of my favorites.
20240302_082005~2.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Skeeter was my favorite writer ever. His story telling, and the way it was presented could make you feel like you were there with him. And his down to earth attitude,, calm demeanor, pointed to a fine gentleman. I keep his B-Day marked on my calendar.

That's a FINE tribute gun to him!

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Enjoyed his column from the past myself. Believe his son Bart took over for a time.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I saw that May 1 is Skeeter Skelton's birthday. I had Alan Harton work this blackhawk over with the "Skeeter Gun" look. 4 5/8 barrel, front sight, base pin. I like my guns in 45 Colt though. Zane Thompson made the walrus ivory grips. One of my favorites.
View attachment 45081
Beautiful 😍 But you tease us with the little bit of (walnut?) on the other revolver.
More please.

I've saved this article because I love the treatment they did on the Skeeter tribute gun. Specifically the rounding of the sharp edges on the top strap. If I ever need to refinish any of my NM Blackhawks, I'll have this done. In my opinion, once you've seen that rounded top strap, the squared off look feels unfinished. I guess that's why I like the OM fixed sight Single Sixes so much. Vaquero's too.

I've also become a fan of the polished aluminum grip frames on a blued gun.

IMG_9074.jpeg

Star43

Blackhawk
You know, so many times it is mentioned about the old "gun magazines" referred as the gun rags or some other derogatory expression, knocking them down. I, for one am not afraid to admit I enjoyed reading those articles. There were quite a few writers I enjoyed reading their articles on the guns they were reviewing or just plain talking about I still have kept those old magazines and enjoy taking two or 3 out at a time and skimming threw them, reading & looking at the gun photos. Of course my wife will say, "Why do you still have all those old magazines!" She just doesn't under stand 🙂......But I love those old magazines. 👍

41Dude

Single-Sixer
My Wife and I rarely ask questions about purchases any more.
She used to ask, "Do you really need more ammo?"
I would ask, "Do you really need more wallets?" She is a wallet junkie.
Now we save time by not asking the questions :LOL:

Last edited:
My wife used to say "You're not buying another gun, are you? How many do you need?" The answer that worked was…"You have 4 horses that you never ride and cost $400/month to care for- do you need them?"

Of course being married 44 years helps too…

Star43

Blackhawk
Sounds like a plan there. To be honest, I don't buy any new magazines any more. Haven't bought any for a long time. The reason why is because they are all about black plastic. Black plastic assault type weapons just don't appeal to me. Give me a lever action any day. And of course the good old sixguns that Skeeter used to talk about.

Star43

Blackhawk
My wife used to say "You're not buying another gun, are you? How many do you need?" The answer that worked was…"You have 4 horses that you never ride and cost $400/month to care for- do you need them?"

Of course being married 44 years helps too…
For a wife to ask a guy: "you are buying another gun?" ........probably most husband's have heard that for sure......it is what is, as they say...🙂👍

41Dude

Single-Sixer
And articles about 1911's. I love 1911's. I just do not need to read about them and black plastic every month.

Star43

Blackhawk
I agree 100%. I used to like to read about odd type guns or older guns from around the world, and some were downright great. 🙂👍

gundog5

Single-Sixer
You know, so many times it is mentioned about the old "gun magazines" referred as the gun rags or some other derogatory expression, knocking them down. I, for one am not afraid to admit I enjoyed reading those articles. There were quite a few writers I enjoyed reading their articles on the guns they were reviewing or just plain talking about I still have kept those old magazines and enjoy taking two or 3 out at a time and skimming threw them, reading & looking at the gun photos. Of course my wife will say, "Why do you still have all those old magazines!" She just doesn't under stand 🙂......But I love those old magazines. 👍
I'm with you and I love old gun mags. They show some great things. I love the lack of story's about black plastic guns. They show rifles with walnut stocks and iron sights on real hunting rifles.

Star43

Blackhawk
I agree, I will never get rid of my old ones for sure as you would have a hard time getting them back. Book stores are closing left and right as everything is (on line).....They can keep that as I like to hold that magazine in my hands when I read them. Call it old school, but it is my school.