Polar Bear Attack Stopped with a .44 Magnum in Alaska

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
If it wasn't there to cuddle what was it doing? I'd be more interested in the type gun and bullet configuration. I had a Redhawk 44, I used to keep loaded with Bronze bullets 300gr or some hard cast lead Elmer Keith 250gr and fortunately never needed it

redhawker

Buckeye
bears kill you.jpg

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Are polar bears good to eat??
Not by me. But......Yes, you can eat polar bear meat as native people have done for centuries. You should ensure it is well cooked and never eat it raw because it often contains Trichinella parasites that can cause illness. You must also avoid its liver which can cause the deadly Hypervitaminosis A.
But......

Can You Die From Eating Polar Bear?

Yes, you can die from eating polar bear, this could be due to Hypervitaminosis A from consuming too much of their liver or from trichinellosis if you do not cook the meat well enough to kill any trichinella parasites.

The Wildlife person shot the polar bear how many times? Just curious. Before White people came, the Inupiat's hunted Polar bear with 12 foot long "pointed sticks"! They would find a "V" made by the pressure ridges on the ocean. Cut steps in the narrow end, then go looking for a Polar Bear. Then lured them in. I asked how they did that? Jake told me they threw snowballs til the bear noticed them then RAN!!! Uh Jake, those bears run 35 mph! Laughingly, Jake said so can you!!! Anyway the "lure" went into the "V" and climbed out the end, while the other two closed in behind with the pointy sticks, and rammed one up the Anus til it hit the heart and it died. Jake had big BRASS cajones!!!
gramps

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
Years ago I saw a traveling Smithsonian artifact exhibit of Eskimo hunting and fishing/whaling tools, Kayaks all of it made from bone, wood, sinew, skin there was a bag made from a complete Wolverine, it contained bone toggle head harpoon points and seal bladders as floats, most amazing of all there was not a single bit of any steel or metal in any of it

Most people have no idea the penetration that many handgun cartridges have, even as compared to many rifle cartridges. John Linebaugh did and they discovered more in their gun writer meetings where people brought many different cartridges to test.