Love Tom Selleck, but I have given up on "Bluebloods"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For years, "Bluebloods" was one of my favorite TV shows. Partly because I really have liked Tom Selleck, both as an actor and for what I know of him as a real person. I don't think I missed a single episode since the series began. But I recently changed the settings on my DVR and no longer record new episodes each Friday night. Maybe they have just run out of good ideas for a police drams every week, but the stories and the writing have become increasingly inane and blah. I'm even tired of Donnie Wahlberg's character. There are so few shows that I regularly watch, so now it is even one fewer. Is it just me?

Dan in MI

Staff member
Haven't watched regular tv in ,many, many, years. I listen to discovery, history and similar in my shop. It's decent background noise and the actual history and science shows have something worth listening to while I work. It's the dang reality shows that pop up everywhere making me stop and change channels..

Johnnu2

Hunter
I watch TV ALL THE TIME......... several hours every day and evening.
I have no particular favorites and typically try to shy away from series bec. I'm not disciplined enough to keep up with them or even remember the previous episode :-(.
I just watch whatever pops up on my channel guide and am often (50%) disappointed, but I watch it anyway. One great thing about having a terrible memory is that when I do find something I like, I realize that I've seen it before but can never remember the ending or half of the middle. It's good being "slow". p.s. I don't pay for any special TV beyond the normal cable fee; thus my selection is very limited. WOKE stuff is also shrinking my selection options.....
J.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
I feel your pain, Vito. I watched The Rooke and Chicago PD from the beginning but last year they both got so lame I had no desire to continue with them this year.

Come to think of it, I'm not watching ANYTHING on network TV anymore except Shark Tank and America's Got Talent. I do watch a lot of History, Discovery, movies, and streaming stuff, though.

Enigma

Hunter
TV shows are not made for boomers. They are made for the younger generations.
Boomers are a bunch of has beens as far as TV shows are concerned.

I watch a lot of 1950s horse opera shows, is about the extent of "TV" that I subject myself to. I watch documentaries often, also. Podcasts, and audiobooks make up a great deal of what I listen to these days.

Armybrat

Buckeye
During the pandemic, we started watching reruns of a longtime British detective series called Midsomer Murders.
They are very well done, quite complex, and amusing to see the different everyday English culture at work.
Not to mention the occasional firearm (almost always a shotgun) situation.

My wife and I will catch a Midsomer Murder on occasion and I was actually bing watching the early episodes for a while... the only issue is there is a murder at the beginning and then somewhere less than halfway thought the episode.... along comes the second one.....sometimes there is even a third but usually that attempt fails.... but like any good English mystery (thank you Agatha) there is always a surprise at the end. Any of these shows seem to get pretty lame near the end...

oh, speaking of running out of plot and British detectives.. Intrepid... which was the prequel to Morse.... instead of ending it they should have just started doing 'new' shows using the original Morse scripts....seemed like a no brainer to me.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I agree with what people are saying. As far as being predictable, just watch an episode of FBI. This will happen in every episode; they approach a bad guy with their FBI emblazoned vests on. They tell him/her to stop when they are 20-30 yards away...guess what...bad person runs. Now, one takes off chasing said bad person, the other goes another direction to "cut them off at the pass". Low and behold they pick the right direction to run every time. Now one of two things will happen, the FBI agent that took off to intercept the bad person will either "clothesline" them, or the bad guy will run in front of a car and get hit. Sometimes the FBI guy will take off in their car and intercept the person that way, but is usually more on foot. Seriously, if you don't believe me, watch a few episodes and it will prove me right.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I agree with ignoring Bluebloods. Seems like every episode is a rerun of the previous runs. As for Donnie Wahlberg, when is that jerk character going to learn how to shave?

wproct

Single-Sixer
My wife and I are both in our upper 70's and we watch very little current programming. We will stream a movie every evening after our meal and when that is over we stream older TV series, 2 1/2 Men, Roseanne, Reba, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. I've been a longtime fan of Tom Selleck. One of my favorite moves is "Quigley Down Under", watched it numerous times. Also watched the Jesse Stone series. Our kids all get into current series stuff, but we really don't.

Armybrat

Buckeye
You guys are complaining?
My wife is addicted to most of those cooking "competition" shows that are all the same format with the same dumb "countdown" panic to finish assembling the oddball ingredients for the clownish panel judges.
God help me!

I quit watching American cop shows when Dragnet went off the air.

During the pandemic, we started watching reruns of a longtime British detective series called Midsomer Murders.
They are very well done, quite complex, and amusing to see the different everyday English culture at work.
Not to mention the occasional firearm (almost always a shotgun) situation.
British TV is quite entertaining and often touches on subject matter off limits in the land of censorship. You know the one with that first amendment thing.

My wife and I will catch a Midsomer Murder on occasion and I was actually bing watching the early episodes for a while... the only issue is there is a murder at the beginning and then somewhere less than halfway thought the episode.... along comes the second one.....sometimes there is even a third but usually that attempt fails.... but like any good English mystery (thank you Agatha) there is always a surprise at the end. Any of these shows seem to get pretty lame near the end...

oh, speaking of running out of plot and British detectives.. Intrepid... which was the prequel to Morse.... instead of ending it they should have just started doing 'new' shows using the original Morse scripts....seemed like a no brainer to me.
I think you mean Endeavor. In the Morse series You don't find out his first name until well into the series.

I always liked the spoiler at the beginning where the killer's name is in morse code. Made me brush up.

Oh, and over the years they had different people playing the code. And it was on some sort of sound generator, not a recording of actual radio signals.

pyth0n

Buckeye
For years, "Bluebloods" was one of my favorite TV shows. Partly because I really have liked Tom Selleck, both as an actor and for what I know of him as a real person. I don't think I missed a single episode since the series began. But I recently changed the settings on my DVR and no longer record new episodes each Friday night. Maybe they have just run out of good ideas for a police drams every week, but the stories and the writing have become increasingly inane and blah. I'm even tired of Donnie Wahlberg's character. There are so few shows that I regularly watch, so now it is even one fewer. Is it just me?
Same here. Especially about tiring of Wahlberg's character.