Hernando's Hideaway

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For whatever reason, or for no reason, things float to the surface in my little brain.

Here I am, looking at gun pictures, and this old song started playing in my head. That forced me to google it, and found this ever so wonderful 78 recording.

I hope some of you will enjoy it with me.:)
It made it all the way to #2 in 1954.

Recordings

The most successful recording of the song was done by Archie Bleyer, the record reaching No. 2 on the Billboard chart in 1954.

Last edited:

KIR

Sparks, NV
I remember this, of course I remember...uh...almost everything???
Hey, I just noticed that's a 78 rpm record. I still have several of them.

87flht

Single-Sixer
I grew up in Memphis and there was a bar probably at the state line called Hernando's hideaway , that was my first thought

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I grew up in Memphis and there was a bar probably at the state line called Hernando's hideaway , that was my first thought
Indeed, mine too! Interestin' place. They featured an afternoon tea dance at 2:00 p.m. daily. And the promise that housewives attending could get home and prepare supper before hubby got home! And often frequented by Jerry Lee Lewis and others of the night club circuit. And it was often visited by sheriff's deputies to break up fights that occured later at night. It had quite a reputation!

Bob Wright

I didn't recall hearing the original version, so I googled to see what other artists had "covered" it. The list is a long one:

woodsy

Blackhawk
I noticed on the record it had "The Pajama Game". If I recall that movie was Rock Hudson and Doris Day. I don't recall the song but now I have to find the movie and watch it again.
Sorry, but it was Doris Day and John Heard. Also Carol Haney, and dancing by Carol and Bob Fosse (who did the choreography).
One of my faves.

The song is from "The Pajama Game", which was a hit Broadway musical before it was made into a hit movie. In those days many Broadway show songs became popular hits, and many hit shows were made into movies (sometimes with disastrous results, such as "Man of LaMancha" which was one of the greatest stage shows that I ever saw, but was made into a terrible movie with Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren). Of course in those days there were many very talented song writers who created the Broadway musicals, such as Rogers and Hammerstein who wrote "Oklahoma", "South Pacific" and many others but those days are long gone. Songwriters such as Stephen Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd Weber became dominant, writing songs that had less melody and were more like "talking" songs (it is often joked that when Weber writes one good song he is ready to put the show on the stage, with the remainder of the music in that show instantly forgettable).