Anyone use a Leatherman Wave?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yes. A lot of experience with Leatherman in general, and also with the Wave and Wingman, specifically. @Bear Paw Jack, thru his connections, gifted me the Wingman at one time.

I believe Leatherman to be the best of the multi-type tools.

For decades, a Leatherman product has lived in all my trucks, in my boats, in my motorcycle saddle bags, and scattered elsewhere.

They are used and borrowed, often.

Just one time, I owned the very similar Gerber version. Early on, one of its jaws broke, pinched the bejeezus out of my hand, and I've never looked at them again.

Last edited:
Yes. A lot of experience with Leatherman in general, and also with the Wave, specifically.

I believe Leatherman to be the best of the multi-type tools.

For decades, a leatherman product has lived in all my trucks, in my boats, in my motorcycle saddle bags, and scattered elsewhere.

They are used and borrowed, often.

Just one time, I owned the very similar Gerber version. Early on, a jaw broke, pinched the bejeezus out of my hand, and I've never looked at them again.

Do you like the spring back jaws on the needle nose pliers? Do you like the compact size and pocket clip. Are they still made in Oregon?

I likem
20220920_112704.jpg

Do you like the spring back jaws on the needle nose pliers? Do you like the compact size and pocket clip. Are they still made in Oregon?

In the trades, I've used so many pliers, one-handed, a spring back feature, although it seems useful, I could take it or leave it. And Leatherman's website still claims they are made locally.

This caused me to find mine.
First, the one in the truck was not there.
But I had two with my motorcycle stuff.

I tried the two, side by side. Yes, the spring open model is easier, but as I said, I am so accustomed to pliers, I used the one without the spring back, just as quickly and easily. I don't find mine to be compact, but apparently some models are. And I never use a pocket clip, ever, on any knife.

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I'm interested in a Leatherman Wave. Any one have any experience with this multitool?
Thank you kindly,
Pistolero
I have some experience with carrying Leatherman Tools in general, and the Wave was the last model I owned. I liked it the best of the bunch because the four exterior blade tools were easy to access and locked open in use. I even like the leather sheath they furnished with that one, it seemed sturdier then the previous ones. I prefer Leatherman over Gerber because their tools are better formed.

s4s4u

Hunter
I prefer the Gerber multi-tools where the pliers slides outward along the handles. I can easily open with one hand in less than a second, just a flick of the wrist. That ability has come in handy many, many, times.

Another vote here for Gerber multi tool.

Nothing wrong with the Leatherman, but the Gerber had the screw driver with the different interchangeable tips. I liked that feature and use it more than the pliers.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I'm interested in a Leatherman Wave. Any one have any experience with this multitool?
Thank you kindly,
Pistolero
The Wave is with me constantly. It's been very handy during my working career for small fixes & opening access panels. Mine is several years old doesn't spring open. It's one of 4 Leatherman tools I own. One is the first model that was made & rides in my range bag.

Leatherman makes fine little multi tools of just about any type to fit a person's needs or wants. We have the Wave model here among many others. The Wave is a great balance between being big enough to use as a tool and small enough to have on you. I typically carry one of the Wingman models on or about me. It is a nice tool.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I prefer the Gerber multi-tools where the pliers slides outward along the handles. I can easily open with one hand in less than a second, just a flick of the wrist. That ability has come in handy many, many, times.
That IS true, but as they come, I've had to reshape some of their screwdriver blades, they were more like shapeless lumps. I can sort of open my Wave pliers one handed, but it is NOT graceful!

southpaw13

Bearcat
Carried a lot of different Leathermans over the years including the Wave and they are all great tools. The one I carry now is a Victorinox Spirit X and by far my all time favorite.

Destry

Bearcat
I don't need a Leatherman or a Gerber or any Multi-tool.....I have Edward Scissorhands as a running Buddy!

Latest posts