A proper final resting place for a veteran.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I was wondering if you know of any ex military veteran who wished to have his cremated remains placed in a U.S. GI ammo can ? It would seem to be a proper final resting place for a veteran. Maybe included with them could be any awarded metals, service records, pictures of time in the service and of family members and friends and any other things that were important to that person. I myself was not in the service, but that's what I want done with my remains. If this offends anyone, I will remove it at their request.

CHEVYINLINE6.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Don't see why that would offend anyone, you're entitled to ask a question and offer your opinion on something.
As a Vet, I'm getting Creamated but not stuck in an ammo can. I want to be scattered upon the ocean from a Navy ship. The wife on the other hand wants my ashes to be compressed into a Diamond so I can always be with her. No kidding! She came across a place that does that, so they say. Guess I'll be a tiny Diamond chip on a braclet or some crap. I won't care, I'm dead.

Last edited:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
My wife's father passed away 32 years ago. He had spent 25 years in the Navy. After leaving the service he went to work as a civilian at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield California and later went to work at Mare Island Navel Shipyard in Vallejo California. When he passed the Navy took half of his remains to the middle East and scattered them at sea and we took the other half and scattered them in San Pablo Bay in California near the mothball fleet.

CHEVYINLINE6.

Well, I'm not gonna be cremated. I feel I've been too close to the fire as it is. I've got my little spot in the family cemetery with a head marker already on it. The only thing my remaining family has to do is add a date to it. Bought my own funeral plan and picked out the casket with the military insignia on the lining. It matches my wife's casket except for that.
The VA will place a foot stone with USN on it.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
As an Army Vet,, I can see the thought process by the OP. Interesting concept for an Urn.

Many choose cremation,, and others,, traditional burial. Personal choices & wishes. Often done in a fashion to give a final salute to something the deceased had a connection to.

Ride1949

Hunter
I read some news report that you could get some of your ashes rocket-ed up to space.

I'm not a vet but I can see the ammo can being a nice urn for retired military. Or post retired if you prefer.

Maybe get your ashes fired out of a cannon like Hunter Thompson.

He was known for his lifelong use of alcohol and illegal drugs, his love of firearms, and his iconoclastic contempt for authority. He often remarked: "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."[3] Thompson died by suicide at the age of 67, following a series of health problems. In accordance with his wishes, his ashes were fired out of a cannon in a ceremony funded by his friend Johnny Depp and attended by friends including then-Senator John Kerry and Jack Nicholson. Hari Kunzru wrote, "The true voice of Thompson is revealed to be that of American moralist ... one who often makes himself ugly to expose the ugliness he sees around him."

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I would not want to be put in an ammo can, threw to many of them in the back of a duece and a half as a private. I have specific instructions to deposit portions of my ashes in special locations with gps coordinates included in the instructions. One place is in the mountains where I grew up in western Montana, the same place where I spread my best friends ashes years ago where we hunted elk. Another is in New Mexico where I taught my boys how to hunt elk and deer as they grew. These two areas will allow my ashes to move down country as the snow melts and I will be down the drainages that brought me so many great memories while alive. Finally a portion to be spread in Africa where I have enjoyed some of the most wonderful days of my life. On this deposit, my sons are to hunt Cape buffalo together with the rifles built for them specifically for this task.
Just don't bury me, I'm not fond of the idea!

contender

Ruger Guru
Speaking of being shot out of a cannon,, I attended the services of a friend,, who was also a very active USPSA shooter. He had his ashes fired out of a cannon at his home range in Spartanburg SC. His son got the honor of pulling the cord to fire the cannon!

My desire would be cremation with the ashes to be spread across my farm. Military service wasn't the high point of my life but farming was. I see nothing wrong with the idea of the ammo box, records, and medals. The deceased doesn't care.

For years I wanted to be planted down by my families pond in a cheap pine box and then a year later stick an acorn on my grave.... then I would become an oak tree. But my wife has different plans .... last year we went to a local mortuary and paid for both our cremations... and such... when you do this ahead you actually fill out your future death certificate .... with all your past information... like parents and place of birth and such. There is a scatter garden at our church and I'm one of the people in charge of overseeing and sometime scattering the ashes.... which is kind of proper since my real job is dealing with folk's ashes that they made in their fireplaces and wood stoves....

I still think cremation is a waste of good gas.... stick you in the ground fresh and let the earth take you back. I have another way we could deal with folks remains but it is too gross for most... better than 'Soilulent Green'.

g5m

Blackhawk
As a non-veteran you can do it however it's legal. The VA has formal ways of dealing with vet's remains if you go through the VA.
I haven't heard of anyone in an ammo can as an urn but, who knows, and why not?

I read about a guy who had his ashes scattered along the 100 yard line of his gun club.🤭
Here in NC one of our club members had his ass blown into the sky on the trap range. It was an all-day affair shooting shotgun shells ~200 and we still had plenty of ashes left over. One of the members went home (he lived nearby) and welded up a piece of pipe to resemble a mortar, loaded a few ounces of powder with wadding and poured old Randall in on top lit a cannon fuse and launched a massive "grey cloud". Most spectators were "up-wind".

I'm retired military and eligible for burial in Arlington National Cemetary. I grew up in NYC, spent the next 24 years living all over the world on military service, and then ended up in the Mid West for a second career. My now grown kids do not have anyplace that they call their "hometown". If I were to be buried here in IL it would be a hassle even for my kids to visit the grave. So I told my wife and kids that I wish to be cremated wherever it is that I die, then have the ashes interred at Arlington. After the briefest of times a grave becomes forgotten anyway, at most a few generations of family and then you become just a name and dates in a family Bible. So at least my ashes will be spent with fellow veterans and America's true heroes.

Not to be a downer but just the other day my older brother (just turned 85) and myself (80 years old) were talking about our grandfather on our father's side. When the two of us are gone there will not be a human being on Earth who knew that old man. Even the two of us have not visited his grave in many years. That fate awaits almost all of us, and to be fair, once you are in the ground and none of the living remember you alive, what's the difference if your grave is visited or not.

If there is life after death, and I certainly hope that there is (but I really doubt that anything continues once the body is cold) the long term consequences of where the body was buried, whole or as ashes, becomes even less important.

For me, one of the big advantages of burial or interment in a national cemetary is that the cost will be nothing or minimal to my family. I can't see wasting dollars that can serve the living to be wasted on one who has already passed on.

eveled

Hawkeye
I was never one to visit graves. The person that died is not there. Just their body.

I don't really care what they do with my body, what I'm wearing or any of that.

My soul will be somewhere else and I won't care about my body.

With that said, I believe an anmo can will make a fine urn.

Regardless of my wishes, I expect I'll be buried in the cemetery my Great Great Grandfather donated to the community in one of the lines of the previous 5 generations of both maternal and paternal family. Family roots run deep here.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
My dad, an infantry sergeant in WW2, was wounded in a weird series of events by the shell from a US 90mm tank destroyer that had been captured by Germans and turned on US troops. After the war, a buddy gave him the brass case of a 90mm round. We had a custom-made walnut plug made for the shell, got some appropriate engraving done, and buried Dad's ashes in it as "the round that had his name on it".