Security 9 and hollow points

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
I'm having a problem with Hollow Points in my security 9.
When I load it with a magazine's with hollow point rounds the gun jams when I rack the slide. I'm a little nervous about relying on it for protection

hittman

Staff member
Not an uncommon problem with some semi autos.
Is it really vitally important to carry hollow points or just personal preference?

RC44Mag

Buckeye
If it's an arm you might use for 'serious business' H.P's usually keeps the bullets where you want it, inside your designated target(enemy) instead of carrying on through with a lot more energy and possibly hitting a friendly behind.
They also transfer more energy into that target usually stopping them from killing your family or you due to a pass though which often allows them to keep on shooting. Self defense loads work best when the work as designed. Sure you can use FMJ but you put others at risk as well as yourself, when used for S.D. Plinking in the woods or range are a different matter, shoot away!
you could probably get it to feed S.D. by polishing the ramp or swapping different springs.

Try different brands and types of hollow points. Some feed much better than others. Sometimes a heavier bullet weight will feed better.

I've found that the Remington HTP 115gr JHP 9mm +P feeds well in a couple of finicky 9mm pistols I have.

Here's a link to an interesting website comparing various 9mm defensive loads in ballistic gel. You can see how much difference there can be in the performance of ammo of similar design.

Last edited:

fiasconva

Blackhawk
Have you actually shot it with those rounds or have you just racked the slide? If you haven't shot those rounds yet do it first before you do anything else. Racking the slide is a lot different than actually shooting your S9. How many rounds have you fired in your S9 so far? If it's only a few your S9 just may need a little more breaking in.

Daryl Licht

Bearcat
I don't have a Security 9, but my son does. He had good success with Remington 124 grain Golden Sabers. As I recall, we also tried a few Federal 124 grain HST's, and they fed fine, though at most it was a couple of mags worth. If your gun just doesn't do well with hollow points you might take a look at Hornady Critical Defense. It's an expanding round that is shaped like typical ball ammo.

Try locking the slide back, inserting a loaded magazine and releasing the slide by 'slingshotting'. I'd bet the pistol loads properly and will cycle fine while actually shooting.
HP comes in many shapes and various nose profiles. IIRC, the Remington HP nose is somewhat rounded vs a square profile HP on others. I'm currently carrying Norma MRP(?) 108 grain which has a bit of rounded profile nose similar to the Remington. The Norma works in every handgun we tried(Taurus, Glock, Springfield, Ruger, S&W)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
"Jam" means different things to different people. Could you post a close up pic of a "jam" for us? It would help in figuring out the issue.

larg345

Bearcat
It's only doing this when you rack the slide and load the first round? Have you tried shooting your carry ammo and if so does this happen when you're shooting? If it's only happening when you rack the slide that's no indication of how it will act during live fire. You could be riding the slide forward too and that could be causing the round to catch. When you rack the slide you need to sling shot it, just let it go as soon as the slide is completely rearward. If you're riding it forward, hand still on the slide, it could be causing this to happen.
The only way to tell is by going to the range and testing your carry ammo, racking the slide and manually feeding rounds won't tell you how it's going to act during live fire.

Also, your gun may need broken in too. If it's new and hasn't been shot yet I would recommend running some fmj target ammo and see how your carry ammo runs after that. With a new gun I like to get a few boxes of target ammo, if it runs smooth through the first box I switch and start testing my carry ammo before the gun gets too dirty. Then I run the rest of the target ammo and run another mag or two of carry ammo after to see how it does when the gun is dirty.
My Ruger EC9s ran great out of the box but some guns do need to be ran a little first. If it's new you should also clean it and lube it before you go to the range too. New guns from the factory sometimes have too much oil to keep things from rusting during storage and shipping.

I'm not sure how much experience you have but from the sounds of your post it sounds like this might be your first gun or at least your first semi auto. If you were planning on just loading it and keeping it in your nightstand a revolver would have been a much better option. You need to clean and lube it first and foremost and then get to the range. At the very least run one box of target ammo and a box or two of your carry ammo. If you don't have any gun safety or shooting experience I would highly recommend taking a class before you go to the range.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
All good advice, and I'll just add that some semi's - 1911's for example - can't be considered broken in till you've put 4 or 5 hundred rounds thru it. Given the price of ammo these days that usually comes as a complete surprise to newbies and they often don't have the $$ to do that right away, or at all. Cost of ownership usually isn't thought about much.

I spend at least $200/month just on practice ammo, and I don't have to pay for range time as most folks do. It does cut into to my bourbon budget tho. ;)

Last edited:

Fredo

Bearcat
It's only doing this when you rack the slide and load the first round? Have you tried shooting your carry ammo and if so does this happen when you're shooting? If it's only happening when you rack the slide that's no indication of how it will act during live fire. You could be riding the slide forward too and that could be causing the round to catch.

Fredo

Bearcat
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I am a new shooter and yes it only happened when I loaded the gun . After I had a couple of jams when racked the slide the gun shot flawlessly.
I'm 72 and I've only been shooting for a few months. I've taken a CCW course and a basic pistol course. I took a membership at the range and I go once a week. Guess I freak out a bit when things go wrong.
People like you on this forum have been great on helping me in my journey

HBWL

Bearcat
That's definitely a cause for concern, especially when you're relying on your Security 9 for protection. Hollow points can sometimes be pickier about feeding correctly, compared to round-nose bullets. Here are some things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
Make sure you're using quality, factory-made ammunition. Cheap or poorly made ammo can cause all kinds of feeding issues.
Double-check that your magazines are in good shape and properly maintained. A weak magazine spring or damaged feed lips can cause jams, especially with hollow points.
Check the feed ramp on your Security 9. Make sure it's clean, smooth, and free of burrs or rough spots that could snag the hollow points.
Try different brands and types of hollow points. Sometimes a particular gun just doesn't like a certain shape or weight of bullet, and switching to something else can solve the problem.
If none of these suggestions work, it might be time to consult a gunsmith or contact Ruger's customer service for further assistance.

Latest posts