Scoping an air gun with regular rifle scope. Parallax ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I shared that I'm waiting for a multi-pump .22 air gun, a Benjamin 392S to arrive, which I will scope for my old eyes. I have two scopes that I'd like to try. One is an old Bushnell adjustable objective 4 power meant for air guns. The other is a nice Leupold 1.5 to 4 scope meant for AR style rifles, and which has NO adjustable objective.
Parallax always sort of confused me and I'd like folks here to tell me if the Leupold (a nicer, more compact scope) would work OK on a short range air gun at out to a max of 35 yards. Would keeping the magnification lowered to say 2.5X and below help correct for the "powder burner rifle" parallax fixed setting from the factory?
I'll finish my fried baloney, egg and cheese sandwich here and hope for some enlightenment.
Thanks as always folks.
Don

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Don,

The recoil pulse is different, much worse, on an air gun than a rifle. Many manufacturers will not honor warranties on regular scopes that have been used on air rifles. Check with Leupold to verify your scope is acceptable for use on an air rifle.

I'm not up to speed on parallax, so I'll let someone else enlighten us both.

Ted

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Put your Bushnell 4X AO on it and shoot. The other one will probably give you parallax problems at 35 yards and less.

The "airguns recoil more" problem is, as I understand it, mainly a problem for powerful spring-piston air rifles (such as the two I own). I don't know how your upcoming airgun operates so this might not even apply to you.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Ted a very valid point but that really more applies though to spring-air guns that have both a forward and backward recoil impulse from the inertia of the spring and piston, and bounce when the spring reaches the end of travel and starts backwards again. The nice thing about the multipump pneumatic airgun style is that you're essentially charging a compressor accumulating tank that has a dump valve actuated by the trigger, with a resultant rearward recoil only. From a recoil standpoint the Leupold scope should be fine. It's just that darn parallax thing that has me stumped.
And Snake45 this is an old school "pump that lever a bunch of times til your arm gets real tired for more than a few shots", "pull the bolt back and put in a single pellet" type of rifle. A thing of soldered brass beauty though to me. I'm easily pleased though, grin.
I appreciate your all's help for sure.
I reckon the old Bushnell will have to be the answer.
Here's the gun I bought: https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-392s-22
DOn

woodsy

Blackhawk
I vote that you try a Rueben sandwich, which is slightly healthier, and of a different flavor from the baloney, egg, and cheese one. (Think corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese, Russian dressing.)

I have the RUGER® air magnum .22 combo with a 4X32 scope. It has recoil in both directions. It honestly feels slightly less than an AR-15. I might add that it isn't quiet, it cracks.

Tallbald

Buckeye
I'll use the Bushnell 4X with AO. But I'll adjust the AO ring only after washing my hands if I eat another fried baloney, egg and cheese sandwich while zeroing the gun, because the mayo on mine tonight got runny when I crisped the bread in the hot skillet. I'll do a reuben sandwich soon because I'm supposed to support diversity.
Thanks friends.
Don

Enigma

Hunter
Consider a dedicated rimfire scope with a minimum 10 meter parallax adjustment, if parallax proves to be a problem. Mueller has some nice, quite affordable models that fit those parameters.

I'd just use the 4x32 unless/until you find a need to see the target better. I have a pump up pellet rifle that has worn several scopes and hasn't broken any of them. I moved up(?) to a 1000fps nitro piston that is on it's 4th "air gun" scope and that one is in poor health.
As for the parallax, this is less of an issue(actually NOT an issue) if you keep your eye aligned with the center of the scope.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Mobuck said:
As for the parallax, this is less of an issue(actually NOT an issue) if you keep your eye aligned with the center of the scope.
True, but this is difficult if not impossible unless your stock is a perfect fit for YOU to ensure consistent head position.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You should be able to look up the info on both scopes and find the parallax distance. I would bet they are both close, probably 50 yards.

My Beaman springer came with a 4x32 scope. Nice crisp picture! Good luck! I just toasted two corn tortillas, slathered strawberry cream cheese on both, slapped a package of corned beef in between for an afternoon snack. :)
gramps

Tallbald

Buckeye
Mercy. Food AND shooting. A nice nice combination. I've enjoyed the thread friends. Thanks for all your thoughts and all my best to each and every one of you.
Don

"I just toasted two corn tortillas, slathered strawberry cream cheese on both, slapped a package of corned beef in between for an afternoon snack. "

HEY, no fair. I had to think really hard about whether I even stopped for lunch. I do know it was almost 2PM when I got home and whatever I had wasn't much.

Mobuck said:
"I just toasted two corn tortillas, slathered strawberry cream cheese on both, slapped a package of corned beef in between for an afternoon snack. "

HEY, no fair. I had to think really hard about whether I even stopped for lunch. I do know it was almost 2PM when I got home and whatever I had wasn't much.
You are invited to stop in for vittles anytime you want.:)
gramps