Question about who is responsible for stolen car accident?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If the thief does not have anything or any property then I think in S.C. the state will pay for it.
As for medical bills... at least with hospitals they have a dirty little secret they don't let out... if you don't have insurance they actually jack up the cost of your care and then write it off.

No. At least not here. Lawyers won't even try to file a suit on that. And here they'll file suit if someone gets hit with bird droppings from your tree. Yes, it actually happened.
And yet, California's finest flew to Illinois and arrested my boss because a van he had traded in 2 months earlier at a dealership had sold it at auction. It ended up at a dealer in California. An illegal took it for a test drive, hit and killed a pedestrian, and fled on foot. Since dealers don't register vehicles and pay taxes, the Cali cops flew in and arrested him (even though he could prove he was here at work all week, and had his paperwork showing that he had traded the van in) and gave him a free trip to sunny California, where it took them nearly a week for them to determine that he was cleared and could buy a plane ticket back to Illinois. Cost him a ticket and lawyer fees. We didn't even know why he wasn't at work.

You can't use Cali as a benchmark for anything sane, rational, logical, or reasonable….

My wife used to work in insurance, if your vehicle is stolen you are not on the hook for anything, except for the potential damage to your vehicle (deductible only). That being said, if the vehicle was stolen due to your negligence (unlocked, keys in it, etc), I could see a shiester ambulance chaser going after you for it.

When we moved to Texas, I traded my truck in. At the time the dealer told me (wrongly) that the plates stay with the vehicle. (They don't.)

About a year later I got a bill from the toll road for this truck. It was quite a hassle to get that straightened out. I think I even had to pay the bill as well.

Now I'm very straight with the dealer when we trade in a car. I make sure to get the license plates back.

And yet, California's finest flew to Illinois and arrested my boss because a van he had traded in 2 months earlier at a dealership had sold it at auction. It ended up at a dealer in California. An illegal took it for a test drive, hit and killed a pedestrian, and fled on foot. Since dealers don't register vehicles and pay taxes, the Cali cops flew in and arrested him (even though he could prove he was here at work all week, and had his paperwork showing that he had traded the van in) and gave him a free trip to sunny California, where it took them nearly a week for them to determine that he was cleared and could buy a plane ticket back to Illinois. Cost him a ticket and lawyer fees. We didn't even know why he wasn't at work.
Apparently, your boss doesn't know you can't be taken out of state without an extradition hearing.

Last edited:
No, it came up in a conversation and we didn't know so I figured I'd ask here.
A lot of cars get stolen and do all kinds of damage.
Thanks. It's actually something I haven't considered.

It's also along the same idea as someone trespassing on your property and they get hurt. Is the homeowner responsible?

hittman

Staff member
I'd guess this depends on state laws and circumstances.
And if you leave your keys in the car …. Well …. No sympathy here.

SamV

Buckeye
One Sunday morning I was awakened by a police officer wanting to know where my car was located. I said apparently not in front of my house since you are asking that question. I went to the window and of course it was gone. It was stolen overnight and the thieves had gone joyriding around the area, finally crashing through a fence and into a residential garage. My insurance company said that I had no responsibility for the damage done to the homeowner's property. I felt bad for the homeowner. I was responsible for the deductible amount for the repairs to my car. The thieves were not caught.