Mountain Men, Life Below Zero, etc.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Think we have quite a few members from Alaska, Montana, Utah, etc.

Just wondering if any member knows or have met any of the cast members or participants in these shows.

And, how realistic are they really?

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Turns out that pioneering Alaska family live 8 months a year in the Lower 48, and two of 'em got convictions for fraud after claiming the annual Alaska citizens' oil-money dividend. I see no reason to believe any of the others are any more legit.

Sue Acers is the only reason I have followed that show. I fast forward through the rest of the people. She is just a character, I bet she is just as rough or gruff in real life. Even if it's all just a made up personality, she is fun to listen too. The other show I watched a few times and considered it stupid.
Edit, I thought The Mountain men show was the Alaska family who does dumb stuff. Mt Men show has been entertaining. The few times I watched it.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
I think she's from Joliet IL originally. Wonder what her story is on how she arrived there doing what she does.

caryc

Hawkeye
Single woman, all alone, isolated on the bleak tundra -- with only a full TV production crew between her and certain death ...
I don't care for that woman. She is just to preachy for me. If she's doing something, she will say "Why do I do this"? Then answer her own question with some dramatic answer like "because if I don't do it, I will die". She's always going on about how it's so dangerous and everything is going to kill her. She's just too dramatic.

contender

Ruger Guru
Eustis from the Mountain men show lives in our area. From all accounts,, lots of his parts are just for TV. I have never met him or anything,, but I've been around folks who are.

I had a NYC producer call me some years back. She wanted to "buy some animals to be used in the show; "Live Free or Die." She had no clue it was illegal to sell wild animals or their parts in NC. After a pretty good discussion,, she tried hard to get me to be on the show. My response? "Not only NO,, but H*** NO! I can't act stupid, nor will I play act just for drama for TV. I'm a professional. I do things RIGHT and in a manner that reflects good on my business."

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Single woman, all alone, isolated on the bleak tundra -- with only a full TV production crew between her and certain death ...
Couple weeks ago on Mountain Men, the guy who chases mountain lions up the mountain with a pack of dogs had his truck break down eight miles from the main road. I found myself very seriously doubting that the multi-man camera crew really let him and his dogs walk every step of the eight miles as night fell. ;) :LOL:

caryc

Hawkeye
Couple weeks ago on Mountain Men, the guy who chases mountain lions up the mountain with a pack of dogs had his truck break down eight miles from the main road. I found myself very seriously doubting that the multi-man camera crew really let him and his dogs walk every step of the eight miles as night fell. ;) :LOL:
I agree with you on that. There also wasn't one word on how he got his truck out of that remote place. I find it a little strange that once his dogs tree a lion it's "always" far enough from ranchers cattle that he just lets it go without chasing it any further.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
LIsten, folks -- insurance companies rule show biz. I can guarantee you that whatever the premise of the show, whatever derring-do the "hero" pulls off, however isolated they may seem -- NEVER, EVER IS ANY CAST MEMBER IN THE SLIGHTEST DANGER. These shows pretend to be documentaries of a sort, but they are 100% pure entertainment fantasies.

Chip Hailstone from "Life Below Zero" used to participate in another gun forum and I enjoyed his remarks. He once posted about how ordinary events in his life were overly dramatized to make for better TV. He described an event where his son and grandson were overdue on arriving from many miles away, and how it was no big deal. He knew the exact route that was being taken by their snowmobile, rode out and picked them up and all was good. But for the show, he said, it was made to seem like a life and death situation filled with tension and anxiety. At some point he seemed to stop posting on that forum, possibly because of remarks like I described which probably angered the producers.

I also find it amusing that there is almost never any comments made about the obviously brand new gear that these people suddenly have, including expensive vehicles, boats and what look like top-of-the-line winter clothing, which obviously are either provided by the producers or bought with the high pay these "reality" actors are likely paid.

aciera

Bearcat
It's Honey Boo Boo in Alaska.
Bad as axmen. One guy tried out for Axemen but he was "too competent"
EVERYTHING is scripted.
That show with the brothers…….where they change the house or move. The houses are next doo so they can have one film crew.
It is all fake.

That said. The Last Alaskans was great. And it is no more
But never saw it as a reality show.

Last edited:

caryc

Hawkeye
Eustis Conway has a book about his life, you should read it. You will find out things aren't as bad as they seem.
That was pretty cool when he got his truck to run on burning wood. I don't know what education the guy has to have figured that out but I hope it's true that it can really be done. He just doesn't seem like a phony to me.