Minimalist wallet???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A few weeks ago I started getting a lot, and I mean A LOT of advertising on the internet about Ridge wallets.

It is this brand of thin and very small metal wallets. They are designed to only hold a few credit cards and not much else.

But the Ridge wallet is made in China. And I just couldn't buy one because of that. BUT!! There are other brands made here in the USA and the price is just about the same.

So I bought one. The Dango wallet. It's tactical, Yahoo!!! Anyway it just came in the mail yesterday.

I'm so tired of a thick wallet, especially with shorts during the summer. Besides I only have one credit card. Supposedly it blocks RFID as well.

This isn't a review as I've only had the wallet for a few hours. And after ordering it, I found a couple other small wallets made in the USA that look better. Perhaps this fall I'll try another brand.

Here, I'll post a picture. But does anyone else use one of these thin "minimalist" wallets? What do you think of it if so?

The main thing I don't care for about this wallet is that red silicone band actually holds the whole thing together.

I don't usually carry cash, but that's where it's designed to fit. I don't like that either.

IMG_9489.jpeg

wallet.jpg

IMG_9491.jpeg

Otherwise it does seems like it's well designed and put together. I think it's from San Francisco.

Last edited:
I carry a small J.W. Hulme leather bifold. have my DL ,personal CC and business CC, my Michigan CPL, Blue Cross insurance card,
Pilots License, a couple of business cards and usually a few hundred in cash.
No wallet when running or on the bike training, just my DL and either a house or single vehicle key.
Don't see being able to use one of the little card holders.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I carry a small J.W. Hulme leather bifold. have my DL ,personal CC and business CC, my Michigan CPL, Blue Cross insurance card,
Pilots License, a couple of business cards and usually a few hundred in cash.
No wallet when running or on the bike training, just my DL and either a house or single vehicle key.
Don't see being able to use one of the little card holders.

I used to have a fat wallet. Then I got married. Problem solved 😉

Thread drift... I don't carry a wallet, haven't for years. I have an old Orvis bison leather card carrier with a steel clip for cash carried in my front pocket. Holds a lot of cards, DL, hunting fishing license, Medicare card, ins. cards, etc. Don't have to sit on it, and anyone trying to RFID me would need to be right in front of me, so easier to see them. I've had this thing for 15 years or so, and it is still in good shape. Bison leather is good stuff!

I still carry a wallet but I'm only one step away from ditching it. As soon as PA allows me to add my drivers license to my phone wallet I'll have no reason to carry a physical wallet any more. I never carried cash in my wallet, my credit and debit cards are in my phone, all my car/motorcycle/trailer registrations are in my phone, my auto and health insurance cards are all in my phone...all of which are accessible without an internet connection.

41Dude

Single-Sixer
^^^Be careful, don't lose your phone, or, like me, leave it in your jeans and throw them in the wash......

turd said bison. Reminded me. I have been carrying a bison medium wallet from Hanks belts.com for a few years. Love it. Getting more character with age. They have several other bigger and smaller wallets.

Just a stock image. But mine is almost as empty ;)
MediumBisonBiFold-NewDesign-2.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I've carried a money clip for decades so. ….. my wallet is what some call the "credit card" bi-fold ( like pictured above ). Has DL, CCW, Visa and a health insurance card …. Not much else. Always been slim.

I still carry a wallet but I'm only one step away from ditching it. As soon as PA allows me to add my drivers license to my phone wallet I'll have no reason to carry a physical wallet any more. I never carried cash in my wallet, my credit and debit cards are in my phone, all my car/motorcycle/trailer registrations are in my phone, my auto and health insurance cards are all in my phone...all of which are accessible without an internet connection.
So no wallet but now you have to carry the damn phone... I get it but....

Same here. There are only a few states that let people add driver's licenses to their phone wallets. I'm not sure why it isn't allowed everywhere.

And unfortunately not every store takes Apple Pay.

I've read the news 2025 RAM Tungsten will let you use your phone as a key fob. 😀

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm too old fashioned to try & use a phone for my financial stuff. And I have different types of cards or such that a good wallet is in my way of doing things,, a necessity.
I like carrying cash,, and rarely use a card unless for a specific reason or place. And I have to keep my CCW my DL, and a few other items in their original form for legal purposes.

I just wish I could find another wallet like I'm currently wearing out. I've looked at several, and even bought a few. NONE do as the one I enjoy does.

I do have a RFID type I carry when I travel & such. But I carry just my CC's in it.

I normally carry a bi-fold out of elephant in a front pocket but when I travel I switch to a Ridge Wallet since I don't take all the stuff that is in the leather wallet. I agree on the fat silicone band being unsightly. Nothing on the outside of my Ridge except the money clip for the cash.

Same here. There are only a few states that let people add driver's licenses to their phone wallets. I'm not sure why it isn't allowed everywhere.

And unfortunately not every store takes Apple Pay.

I've read the news 2025 RAM Tungsten will let you use your phone as a key fob. 😀
Correct, several Stellantis models will have Car Key next year, if you own certain newer models you can use Sirius Guardian as a car key as a paid service…I use it on my Wrangler and my wife's Compass.

As others have mentioned, I'm strictly opposed to using a stupid phone for financial stuff. I carry a 'billfold' (yeah that's a really old fashioned term) in left rear pocket and a money clip in left front pocket.
I don't want to get caught with my shooting hand in my pocket at the wrong time.

harley08

Blackhawk
I've often wanted to use one of those thin little wallets, but carry too many things to fit in those. I don't know how some of you carry so few cards, etc. and feel comfortable. My wallet is not overly thick and fits comfortably in my right rear pocket, and containes two credit cards, a debit card, my retired military I.D. card, my Medicare card, driver's license, concealed carry license, AAA membership card and typically about $200 in cash in twenties. All of this, other than the cash, seems essential to be with me.

I would hate to be away from home and need emergency medical care, and risk not getting full care because I could not prove that I have outstanding coverage from both Medicare and the military. The AAA card would be critical if my car or motorcycle breaks down. The driver's license is a must, as is my concealed carry license here in Illinois. Maybe I could get away with having less cash, and maybe I could leave the debit card at home (I only use it for ATM withdrawals).

For those of you who carry only one credit card (as I used to do), let me tell you why that is a bad idea. Once on a vacation, 1,000 miles from home, I went to rent a car and my card was declined. I called the credit card company and found out that they had just sent me a text saying that my account had been compromised and that they had closed it, but that a new card with a new number was already on its way to my home address. That left me with just a debit card which the car rental company would not accept. Fortunately one of my sons was present so he used his credit card for the car rental. Now I always keep two credit cards in my wallet so that the chances of me being stuck somewhere without a useful card is very slim. And with the two cards I get to optimize the cash return for using the cards for different purchases, better than I could get with a single card.

FWIW, the wallet I use is called the Big Skinny. I've had it for several years and the leather (or whatever it is made of) looks and feels as good as when it was brand new. It has a rounded bottom so it fits comfortably in my rear pocket.