Hi Grandpa

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Achigan

Single-Sixer
For over 12 years, I left my phone number on dozens of unknown/barely known door knobs as part of my job. I HAD TO ANSWER EVERY CALL. Just a personal thing I guess. How will you feel if you refuse to answer an unknown number and it does turn out to be a family member or friend in real trouble using someone else's phone to ask you for help?
Let them leave a message.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
I just received an interesting call from an Iowa area code. I answered the call my phone marked as Spam, "Hello." After a telltale pause, the caller said "Hi Grandpa." I said "Hi Grandson. What's your name Grandson?" Long pause, no response. I then called my supposed Grandson a nasty name and hung up.

I've read about this scam before but never experienced it. I should have played along to get the whole spiel. You know, "Grandpa, I'm in the Tiajuana jail and can't make bail. Plead send $1000.00 to get me out." (Kingston Trio ref. intentional).

Be careful out there.
After my father died, my step-mother lost $70,000 to one of those guys in that scam.

Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
I don't have a business. My cellphone is set to only accept calls from someone in my contact list. We never answer our land line unless I recognize the number on caller id. If it's a ligit call they will leave a message.

I hate to be that way but these are different times we are living in.

I just received an interesting call from an Iowa area code. I answered the call my phone marked as Spam, "Hello." After a telltale pause, the caller said "Hi Grandpa." I said "Hi Grandson. What's your name Grandson?" Long pause, no response. I then called my supposed Grandson a nasty name and hung up.

I've read about this scam before but never experienced it. I should have played along to get the whole spiel. You know, "Grandpa, I'm in the Tiajuana jail and can't make bail. Plead send $1000.00 to get me out." (Kingston Trio ref. intentional).

Be careful out there.
My mother got that call, only when they said this is your grandson, she said his name. (That's what they count on.).

Thankfully she called us next, and we headed it off.

irishjack

Bearcat
If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it. I am concerned with the technology that allows scammers to record and imitate your voice. I figure if the call is important, they can leave me a voice mail.

KWend54

Single-Sixer
I don't answer any calls that aren't in my contacts! I let the call go to voice mail and my greeting message encourages the "caller to identify themselves and leave their number because I do not answer unknown calls"

I have one phone, a cell phone and I use it for personal and business. The amount of robocalls and scam calls that I have gotten has probably quadrupled within the past 2 months. I got the same call for about 2 weeks in a row all from a different number from a finance company. All I can do is block the number and move along. It's absolutely ridiculous. I told my wife I should go into that business because obviously they're making enough money to continue to operate.

epags

Single-Sixer
Email spam----I mark it spam. I tried having the sender's email address blocked but they just change one letter in their email address and I get another. Easier to mark it "Spam" and let the computer delete it.

Phone calls always go to 'Leave a message' unless I am up and looking at the calller's phone number. Will answer if I recognize the number & name of caller.
Once or twice when I am bored, I have answered "City morgue, you stab them, we slab them." Normally ends the connection unless it is one of those recorded messages asking to to press a number....which will result in a telemarketer/scammer coming on line. I just hang up.

FWIW:
Nothing deters calls from the Red Cross asking for another blood donation.....even a week after you have given.
Nothing deters calls from my university alumni committee asking for a donation......gets more frequent as I get older I have noticed.

Paul B

Hunter
I get dozens of calls every day, mostly scammers or people wanted me to sell my house. I've only received one, "Hi Grampa." call and answered with ,"Which one?" You see I have way more than one. truth is, they all sound alike over the phone so I really have to ask. Anyway, the guy tells me he's been in a car wreck in Mexico and needs $1,100 in cash to pay of the cops or he goes to jail. So I ask again, which grandson are you? A very loud silence. Then he hangs up.
Paul B.

Yoter

Bearcat
Common scam. Usually someone with a made up hard luck story who wants cash right away.