Blackhawk Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
"It is a 1959 Flattop Blackhawk as new in the box. It has Ruger walnut grips that appear finished with a professional varnish-like finish. Can anyone tell me if Ruger sold 1959 era Blackhawks with such a finish on the walnut grips?"

DickE, "Welcome to the Forum!!

Yes,, those grips look original. yes,, Ruger did offer the Walnuts like that in 1959 if my memory is correct about the years. You have a NICE gun there.

And as noted,, your question about the OM .45's. As mentioned above,, yes,, the OM .45 cal Blackhawks were made in 1971-1973. There were (6) variations in just 3 years,, and as mentioned,, fewer of those than the FT .44's. I just managed to score another on about 1-1/2 weeks ago. I'll see if I can find a picture for ya!
OGCA 2022-12.JPG

Last edited:

dsf

Bearcat
I guess I have a one track mind - both my Flattops are 357 Magnum in 4 5/8" barrels - and I snagged each of them a few months apart during the Reno Gun Show.

A "Ross Serial Number" BH and a 1960 made BH. The 1960 made one has since had its "new and improved" transfer bar action corrected -

IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg

I'd like to find a 9mm cylinder to pop in, but am told NM ones don't fit, and I don't know if the OM exist - any help?