Walking sticks for self-defense..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I carry a 'stick' on the UTV. It's hand made (by me) and not for looks. Expendable and often requires replacement. Osage Orange (hedge to the farm folks) or black locust but you have to be careful of time of year when cutting a black locust.
With a good stick in hand, I consider myself the equal of most 4 legged critters that live in my area.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
I recently made my own. It's a piece of 3/4" steel tubing with a vintage Hurst 4-speed T-handle at the top end. I call it my Full Metal Pimp Stick. Been meaning to post some pics of it. ;)

Snake45

I recently made my own. It's a piece of 3/4" steel tubing with a vintage Hurst 4-speed T-handle at the top end. I call it my Full Metal Pimp Stick. Been meaning to post some pics of it. ;)

This thread got me off my ass to take the pics. Hope you enjoy them.

1712246213932.jpeg

1712246240687.jpeg

HW11

Single-Sixer
I carry a walking stick for self defense with me most all the time. I think I may need a different one because I would have to bend way over to touch the ground with the one I use. But if you hold it just right it has a pretty good reach to it.
I'm sorry I interrupted a serious post, I couldn't help myself.

View attachment 43337Here's mine. 3/4" conduit and a 16oz Malco Setting Hammer that I used as an Apprentice. I kinda want to make a Bec de Corbin as a cane but I figure this is actually justifiable as a tool of my trade turned walking aid. I'm hoping not to need it again anytime soon though.
I'm sure the handle is only there for nostalgia for your trade.😉

View attachment 43337Here's mine. 3/4" conduit and a 16oz Malco Setting Hammer that I used as an Apprentice. I kinda want to make a Bec de Corbin as a cane but I figure this is actually justifiable as a tool of my trade turned walking aid. I'm hoping not to need it again anytime soon though.
I'm sure the handle is only there for nostalgia for your trade.

Some of the videos I saw supported using the cain more of a stabbing or lunging movement Going for throat, base of nose, eyes, solar plexrs it earned against a wide swinging motion because that how you tend to loose it.

Armybrat

Buckeye
My MIL started using her wooden walking stick about 50 years ago.
Dunno what kind of wood, but it's not that heavy.
When my Dad was in the Army, some officers carried a "swagger stick" around. He carried this swagger "sticker" (a riding crop, really) …..unfortunately, our granddog chewed the leather handle up recently. I need to find a good leather worker to restore that part of it.
Dad also had a real swagger stick made out of teakwood with brass fittings when we were stationed in Taipei 66 years ago. One of my brothers got that one.
IMG_2678.jpeg
IMG_2680.jpeg

Snake45

I like that a LOT! Now that's a MAN'S CANE! ;) And it would be even MORE impressive if you told me that the hammer is quick-detachable. ;)