VERY EARLY RUGER SINGLE SIX FLAT GATE #93

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
I never was much of a letter collector. Even when they were free, I only got them on select, very rare guns, probably under 10% of my collection. If a gun was unusual, I would mostly just call for a catalog number and ship date and note that info in my collection spreadsheet.

But a first day Single Six is something that would motivate me to cough up the ten bucks in a heartbeat! Although I have a 1953 Single Six that I have not lettered. I probably should get the letters on the rarest ones for my son's sake when he has to sell off my stuff someday!
As far as your last paragraph about your son and your stuff......... hopefully that won't be a concern for a very long time.......I have a dumb question to ask and this is thread to ask it.....it has not been mentioned, but what price range are we talking on the value of a first day manufactured gun ?? Or first month Dec. '53 ? Just a ball park type number. I'm not asking how much one paid for any particular gun, but just a ballpark figure ?? I bet a lot of guys wonder this too ??

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
The only published (that I know of) prices are in RENE. If you do not subscribe, YOU NEED TO! It is everything Ruger.
As far as prices go, I have paid WAY more than published prices if I want a specific gun.
I have paid as little as $400 for a type 1 RSS, and you can expect to pay 20 or 30 times that for a pristine example in it's original box with shipper.
And that's the deal right there. Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Mr. Deerstalker had 6 type 1 RSS's with a set of Ivories & 2 sets of stags, listed here in December, along with a Lightweight for $13,000.
I bought them. $3500 worth of grips is $9500 for seven guns, = $1357 each. No, they're not for sale :D
In fact, I have a WTB ad on the forum, wanting to buy more type 1's.
As far as the value of a day one gun, I know I would pay more than most for one.

Cheers,
JaydaWg

Star43

Blackhawk
Thanks Jaydawg. From everything you say in your post, it covers quite a bit. In other words, if one wants to be Ruger collector, be prepared to spend a lot of money. But if it makes you happy, go for it. As they say, you only live once ....I was kind of wondering why I received no post reply at all from my earlier post. I guess I now under- stand. When it comes to money and collections and investments, and hobbies, sometimes, mum is the word....Thanks for replying and I think you should be considered a Ruger fan for sure ....

KWend54

Single-Sixer
As far as your last paragraph about your son and your stuff......... hopefully that won't be a concern for a very long time.......I have a dumb question to ask and this is thread to ask it.....it has not been mentioned, but what price range are we talking on the value of a first day manufactured gun ?? Or first month Dec. '53 ? Just a ball park type number. I'm not asking how much one paid for any particular gun, but just a ballpark figure ?? I bet a lot of guys wonder this too ??
It really does come down to what it's worth to you! What I paid for Serial number 29 Standard Auto, which would have been the first of the first!
Many would say I'm crazy …. probably am lol. , but I was tickled to get it and it was approaching 5 figures.

Star43

Blackhawk
5 figures is a lot, and I am not saying if I would do that.....but you know, no matter what anybody says, how many other guys have the "First of the First" of that gun....none....congrats to you.🙂👍

contender

Ruger Guru
"if one wants to be Ruger collector, be prepared to spend a lot of money."

While that can easily be true,, I can attest to the fact it doesn't have to be true.

If a person wants to be a collector,, you can select a specific thing to go after,, and quietly begin the quest. And by looking, shopping around, asking politely,, and in general,, be vigilant and prepared to buy when you find a deal,, you can easily become a collector.

The key to it is EDUCATE YOURSELF about what you seek. The RENE is the best & least expensive reference material you can get. But the amount of knowledge & info in the Reference Guide can save you a LOT of money.

Simple example;
I educated myself long ago about many facets of Ruger SA's. I have a soft spot for the OM Blackhawks,, especially in .41 mag & .45 Colt. Well, the OM .45's were only made for 3 years,, and in fewer numbers than the Flattop .44 magnums. As such,, they are collectable in general, can be expensive. BUT,,,,,,,,, I just purchased one a few weeks ago,, from a different area,, where it's value wasn't known. It cost me $450.00. Knowing what I saw in the pictures,, and how it wasn't listed correctly,, (it was listed as a .357,) allowed me to buy it so cheaply.

Lastly,, about being a collector.
You can be a collector,, and do a display with the ROCS & do so with just one gun! I have seen it more than once. And it doesn't HAVE to be super rare,, or whatever. It's what YOU have & what YOU want.

Star43

Blackhawk
Thanks for that info.....what you are saying about educating yourself speaks volumes. To me, the best part of buying something is when you get a good product and for a good price. In order to get that deal, you just can't be lucky.....like you said, you have to know what you are looking for and be smart enough to buy it, if and when, that opportunity comes around. So yes, I agree that you have to educate yourself first to be able to know what you are doing, And what you are buying. Congrats on that OM 45 !! 👍👍

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
The key to it is EDUCATE YOURSELF about what you seek.
Star43,

Contender hit it on the head.
I would also capitalize the part about WHAT YOU SEEK.
I have been a Ruger accumulator for 14 years.
Then I subscribed to RENE, bought John Dougan's book, went to the ROCS display show in Tulsa, and met some amazing folks.
Guess that was my education. :cool:
At some point in my "education" I got bit in the ass with the type 1 RSS's, and here I am.....
Right or wrong, I know what I want, and what I am willing to do to scratch my itch.
Just keep it fun, and enjoy the journey. (y)

Cheers,
JAYDAWG

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Current RENE price guide has a 2 digit RSS at $3550.

For a 1953 gun, expect a premium. My valuations in my collection spreadsheet are out of date since I have mine valued at $2350 and the consecutive gun which is a 1954 gun is valued at $4250 because it has Ruger ivories. Those both need to be bumped. They are each rated 99% condition.

For a first day manufactured gun, an additional premium.

I would think a minimum of $5K and if it were up for auction in front of the right crowd, it could double that.

Or who knows - the sky's the limit at an auction. Elmer Keith's serial number 15 gun was not a 1953-made revolver but due to the provenance, sold for $20K, and that was about 20 years ago.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I have been a Ruger accumulator for 14 years.
Then I subscribed to RENE, bought John Dougan's book, went to the ROCS display show in Tulsa, and met some amazing folks.
Guess that was my education."

That's a good beginning.

Many of us collectors start out as accumulators. One of the more common ways is when a person buys a Ruger they like,, such as a .357 Blackhawk. (One of the more common models.) Then they enjoy it so much,, they say; "Hey,, I think I'd like a .44 Magnum." they get one. They like it too. Then they discover the "other" calibers,, such as .30 Carbine, .41 Mag., & .45 Colt. They decide; "I want one in each caliber!"
Then they discover the different barrel lengths. Gotta get one of each,, right? And during the journey,, they also find out that there are also convertibles.
By this time,, they have a pretty good "accumulation." As they progress down the path of becoming more serious about them,, they find out that there were "Flattops" , and "transitions," and so forth. Suddenly,, they realize,, they have become a "collector."

Getting the books, studying things in as many places as they can, joining ROCS, going to display shows, and all adds to the education process. And once they discover all the many variations, even within a specific model,,, they begin to chase those little things to enhance their collection. And they also seek to get better examples of guns already owned.

The best result of all this is when they decide to do a display with fellow collectors.

One of the hardest things to do is to get a collector to step up & do a display. They often feel that their stuff won't measure up to other displays.

NOTHING could be further from the truth. I have seriously enjoyed several displays that were more common, one gun types, or even spun with a funny attitude. From; "The guns my wife knows about" to "My guns from my life" types of displays.

Get on the internet,, and look at past display shows,, and truly look at the titles of the displays. You will OFTEN find humorous ones, or just something special to THAT person.

My point is that all displays need not be filled with super rare, expensive or whatever Rugers.

And the biggest mistake I see people using as an excuse is; "My stuff isn't a complete set or is missing XYZ!" There is always something else you can add or something that may be missing. VERY, VERY, VERY few displays can be considered 100% perfect & complete.

And the best thing about becoming a collector,, AND especially doing display shows is the fellowship of other collectors,, as well as the serious education you receive.

KWend54

Single-Sixer
Current RENE price guide has a 2 digit RSS at $3550.

For a 1953 gun, expect a premium. My valuations in my collection spreadsheet are out of date since I have mine valued at $2350 and the consecutive gun which is a 1954 gun is valued at $4250 because it has Ruger ivories. Those both need to be bumped. They are each rated 99% condition.
I honestly think some of the Rare Rugers are way under valued. When you look at the appreciation of Colts, Winchester and Smiths in my opinion Rugers haven't seen the comparable rise.
I would give 5 figures for a nice two digit RSS in a heartbeat!

contender

Ruger Guru
"I honestly think some of the Rare Rugers are way under valued."

I can agree. But at the same time,, Colt, S&W & a few others have roughly a century of time in the market over Rugers. And as such,, they have been revered for so long,, many don't consider them as "collectable."

Or as I like to say; "As Rodney Dangerfield says, I don't get no respect!"

I have had die hard Colt fans declare the Rugers as "Colt wannabes," or "Not as strong as a Colt," or other such drivel.

hittman

Staff member
Contender is right.
Education is vital.
But we'll still see one "in the wild" we're not totally sure about.
At those times you gotta have the confidence to trust your gut and GAMBLE the asking price.
If you're too timid or cheap you may regret it later.

I've found that in 99% of those times, the gamble was worth it.

hittman

Staff member
I found a low back Security Six 4 inch with fixed sites and an "S" at the end of the serial number. Wasn't sure what it was but "gambled" the $400.00 asking price. It was worth it.

A couple years later someone had the same gun with adjustable sites and the "S". I thought how cool to have one with each site configuration. They wanted an offer so I offered $50 MORE than I wanted to pay. They sold it to me.

95% guns, no boxes. This was pre-covid so before the silly prices.

Star43

Blackhawk
You have me curious on the "S". Did you find out what it meant ?? I'm thinking the S could stand maybe for a salesman's display gun ?? But I'm probably wrong in that......

hittman

Staff member
Factory second.
May have had a finish blemish and/or may have traveled with a salesman or been on display at events when new or even loaned to a gun magazine writer for testing. Could have even been returned under warranty for a problem and exchanged out for another gun. On my guns their records did not indicate which.

And Ruger is quick to say the "S" is NOT part of the serial number as reported to the AFT. Rather just a factory designation.

I think someone posted earlier that Ruger also used to have a "U" for Used Gun Bank.

Star43

Blackhawk
Gee, where do you start collecting ?? There is so.much out there to read about to know these things, and to be honest, this "S" thing is very intriguing......on your "S" guns and you have 2 of them now do they look like a second, or a flawed gun ?? Also I'm thinking if it's a salesman's gun, I doubt it would be flawed, because why show a flawed gun to a buying dealer ?? I think the tested gun like say from a gun company writer makes good sense ?? To me anyway.

hittman

Staff member
Guns shown around are gonna get bumps or bruises. The boxes are gonna show wear. Mine came to me without boxes and in 95% or better condition ( if you grade HARD ). Both had been in private hands and shot. I've shot them too as God and Bill Ruger intended.

One came from a gun store in AZ and the other from a collector out east.

Star43

Blackhawk
I think you are right that it could be a gun that was returned and Ruger sent out a replacement gun. Then Ruger fixed this one and it's back out to the market......and the S kind of means it's out for the second time....and I bet it's a good gun now for sure. That S marking sounds really neat. Yes, if guns could talk would sure be something to hear.This has been mentioned many times by folks and it is so true.

hittman

Staff member
While you're keeping an eye out for "S" don't forget "D" and "U" and "*" too. :ROFLMAO:

And then there's the weird happenings like s/n 65432 and 23456 and the occasional hiccup like missing numbers and the like. I had a rifle s/n 100-xxxxx but the machine missed one zero so it showed 1 0-xxxxx.

Latest posts