The Lone Ranger's mask.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I was scanning the channels this morning and noticed an episode of The Lone Ranger. And one thing sruck me: He had two different masks. One mask covers the end of his nose, and is sort of straight across the bottom, while the other is skimpier and exposes the tip of his nose and is more "bikini" shaped. (For lack of a better description.)

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I recall one mask that was covering the eyes but hung loosely down over the entire lower part of his face.
You're right! That was before the TV days, as I recall. On radio, nobody knew what kind of mask he had.

Bob Wright

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
Also from memory there was a time of "dispute" between Clayton Moore and whoever "owned" the Lone Ranger franchise but I am not sure if any tv shows or movies were made in this time period.. but for sure Clayton Moore had to change his appearance for a period that might have just been for professional "personal appearances" ???

Enigma

Hunter
Also from memory there was a time of "dispute" between Clayton Moore and whoever "owned" the Lone Ranger franchise but I am not sure if any tv shows or movies were made in this time period.. but for sure Clayton Moore had to change his appearance for a period that might have just been for professional "personal appearances" ???

He began wearing a white mask whenever out in public. I guess the issue was with the black mask(s).

KIR

Sparks, NV
Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger: SilverChief, (Originally called Dusty until Silver Cup Bread took over as sponsor, renamed Silver). Two horses played Silver--the Clayton Moorehand-picked Tennessee Walking Horse White Cloud and the Morab half-Arabian/half-Saddlebred stallion Tarzan's White Banner, renamed Hi-Yo Silver by the show's owner George Trendle. In 1952"Hi-Yo Silver" became Silver #2 taking the place of Silver #1 in the television series while John Hart briefly stepped into the role of The Lone Ranger. Silver #2 was trained by the famous trainer and handler, Glenn Randall who also trained Roy Roger's Trigger. Silver #2 had an opposite temperament from the first Silver being a high strung stallion who was quite skittish of camera sounds. The following year, Clayton Moore returned to take his place as the Lone Ranger and continued to use Silver #2 but Silver #1 would often return to fill the role when scenes required a calm and obedient horse. One such scene in which Silver #1 received the Animal Award of Excellence required Silver to drag The Lone Ranger to water. Silver #1 was used for fear that Silver #2 might shy from the camera sounds and step on Clayton. But for all his skittishness, Silver #2 was the horse that Clayton always toured with and used for publicity events. Silver's TV show stunt double with and used for publicity events. Silver's TV show stunt double Traveler eventually had a stint as the University of Southern California Trojan horse. Silver Chief was horse ridden by Thomas Mitchell in"Gone With the Wind" and not any of the Lone Ranger's horses. Clayton Moore was so popular with the public, His Hollywood Star is the only one to have his name and his character's name on it.
Jay Silverheels (Mohawk Indian) as Tonto in the "Lone Ranger": Scout, White Feller (white horse that Tonto was not allowed to ride in the series) and Paint. Scout was faster then any of the "Silvers" and Silverheels had to rein him in when they were running side by side. Hopalong Cassidy's horse also played Silver. Tonto used to refer to the Lone Ranger as "Kemo Sabe" which meant Faithful Friend; in Apache it meant White Shirt and in Navajo it meant Soggy Shrub.

black1970

Blackhawk
When I worked in El Paso there was a mechanic there that went hunting with Jay Silverheels several times up in Canada. This guy used to be a charter boat captain out of LA. That's how he said that they met. They became good friends. Also I think I read somewhere that Clayton Moore could not wear the same mask when doing public appearances that he wore on the TV show.

There was awhile that Jay Silverheels, Tonto, apparently lived in Brooklyn, NY where I lived. This was back in the early 1950's if I recall. He drove a Cadillac convertible with a set of cattle long horns in place of the hood ornament. As a kid I recall seeing him drive by more than once and was told that it was Tonto. Was in really him? Who knows.

In the dark recesses of my memory I recall, in the 1st season's 1st or 2nd show, the saga of how the Lone Ranger came about. That segment also dealt with why the Ranger used silver bullets and, if I'm not mistaken, the making of his mask. I don't recall details of the mask orher than remembering that the Ranger cut it out with a big knife (think Bowie knife size) - that knife may have been Tonto's, and Tonto may have actually made that first mask.

But hey...that was in the early 1950s - almost three quarters of a century ago.