Stolen valor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Katfish

Bearcat
Wow, Katfish, thanks so much for that. After 57 years, I finally got the real story of that event. It was a sad event but it's nice to finally know the real story. I'm still wondering though if their running lights were actually on when they were fired upon. I kind of imagine that enemy boats would be running without running lights especially when under air attack so why would they fire on a boat with lights?

I would assume they would have been darken ship..
I know in another aritical I read it said their IFF was not working properly.
Glad this helped you some..

Speaking of Veteran/Military perks, I've been grateful for the 10% military discount at Home Depot and Lowe's for years now.

But recently, I've encountered varying levels of resistance/reluctance/red tape when I present my ID card at Home Depot. Apparently, in order to minimize mis-use by those not entitled (or perhaps expired), they now require military customers to set up an electronic account online via some third party info-broker that enables phone number query or bar code display on the user's smart phone. Some HD employees see my military ID card and still apply the discount, while others (especially one snarky pencil-neck youngster that I dislike a lot) will refuse the discount because I'm "not in the system."

This policy sucks, and I'll tell you why.

After serving Veterans/Military in various professional capacities for 20+ years (AFTER I earned my own 20-year DD-214), I am painfully aware that many former (and present) military members do not have the resources/capability to create electronic accounts. Nor do they always carry smartphones with scannable barcodes to display at the HD checkstand. And in many cases, these are the veterans who could benefit the most from small discounts offered by grateful merchants.
Teflon, you've hit the bullseye.

While I CAN use my Smartphone for financial transactions, I don't and won't - for security reasons. I believe many elderly Vets fall into this category, or its first cousin, -the "don't know how and don't want to learn" category.

HD's policy must have been formulated by the same 20-something geniuses who conned farm equipment manufacturers into making and selling new e-farm tractors. Ever try to re-charge a tractor when its 3 miles from the nearest electrical outlet? Never mind having to wait 8 hours while that battery recharges before being able to use the tractor. Know any farmers who can pony up the additional $300,000 for two more e-tractors (in order to continue plowing the ground while the first tractor is re-charging)?

Nope, such policies are purely form over substance.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
My home Depot requires you to scan a barcode on your phone that pops up when you open your account on your phone. Giant pain in the butt to use and hold up the line if you log in on their website to use it. The checkout girl said to just download their app, it's faster. I said no way Then I have to put up with continual advertising and notifications- no thanks. I think they make it tough to use to keep actual use low. If all us vets used it they probably would have to delete the discount.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I regret having never served in the military but, at the time, I was tired of moving.
My Dad was career USAF and the longest I had ever lived anywhere by the time I was 18 was 3 years, most of the places 2 years.
I registered for the draft in 1973 but the war was winding down and I got a college deferment.
Dad was in Vietnam in 1965 or 1966, can't remember for sure. I know he was in Plei Ku and I think maybe Bien Hoa. (Sp?)
I remember Mom crying when we heard on the radio that Plei Ku had been mortared. We didn't know that Dad was ok until a letter arrived 2 weeks later.
I think the military wives are the unsung heroes and thank God for the members of Dad's detachment that checked on us from time to time while Dad was away.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Strange but I just can't remember seeing any of those. Could it be that there weren't any of those in the vicinity of Danang Harbor?

I do remember that there was a boat that I think was a PT boat. It had like a jet drive on it. We used to see it running around the harbor once in a while. The thing was that we couldn't get close to it. If we did they would wave us off. We never did find out what that thing was for. Then there was the admiral's barge. It was a beautiful boat maybe a 60 or more footer. It had a black hull with a blue waterline on it and white superstructure. A very pretty craft.
The PBR's were jet (Jacuzzi) drive. Yes the same company that made hot tubs. My recruiter was a BM1 in country on a PBR I don't recall any other vessels in Vn that were jet drive.
It made the boat with It's very shallow draft able to run in just a few feet of water. Came in handy in areas like the Rung Sat zone in the Mekong Delta where the VC ran personnel and weps on small canoes at night in the very shallow water. PBR were fast, very maneuverable due to the trust nozzles and could stop like no other boat in its era. SEAL's main ride incountry . The perfect small fighting boat for Vietnam.

Last edited:

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I remember seeing a documentary a few years ago about Chris Craft manufacturing some of the boats used on the river. Seems like they were around 24' but I could be wrong on the length.

This thread got me thinking... I know a couple guys who have been back, and said you wouldn't recognize the area now. So I looked on google maps and found that the dirt road south of Dau Tieng is now a major paved highway.... but what really changed was the dam & reservoir north of town. Compare the two maps:

View attachment 15705

A little thread drift, but not long ago I google mapped every base I was stationed at and the places my wife and I lived. Major changes at all of them, if they were even still there. But it has been from 46 to 51 years ago.

Time passes, things change and men grow old. Always has been this way, always will be.

Joni Lynn

Bearcat
I've met people that claimed to be Vietnam Vets, usually also special forces or seals or similar. Once I got to know them just a little, I discovered they were younger than I am and young children never served. I don't care for the stolen valor and avoid these people now.
I was Navy 1/81 to 1/86 and never saw any dangerous duty aside from drinking the water in Naples Italy
Thanks to all that have served with the military in any capacity.

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
I graduated high school in 1968 on June 8. On the 10th I got my draft induction notice . July 8 I boarded a bus to Raleigh for physical. Failed because of having bronchial asthma. Draft card marked 4 F so I could never serve in our military. I did however become a Leo and served there for 49 years. I think that someone that claims to have served in the military and didn't should be charged with a crime. I'm truly thankful to all of our Men and Women who have sacrificed time away from family and homes to protect our country. GOD bless all of those men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice.God Bless the USA.

I graduated high school in 1968 on June 8. On the 10th I got my draft induction notice . July 8 I boarded a bus to Raleigh for physical. Failed because of having bronchial asthma. Draft card marked 4 F so I could never serve in our military. I did however become a Leo and served there for 49 years. I think that someone that claims to have served in the military and didn't should be charged with a crime. I'm truly thankful to all of our Men and Women who have sacrificed time away from family and homes to protect our country. GOD bless all of those men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice.God Bless the USA.
Thanks Paladin.

caryc

Hawkeye
I've met people that claimed to be Vietnam Vets, usually also special forces or seals or similar. Once I got to know them just a little, I discovered they were younger than I am and young children never served. I don't care for the stolen valor and avoid these people now.
I was Navy 1/81 to 1/86 and never saw any dangerous duty aside from drinking the water in Naples Italy
Thanks to all that have served with the military in any capacity.
Just as an after thought here. When I was in Viet Nam, maybe five or 6 miles on down that road that followed the shore in Danang There was a special forces (green berets) camp. They had a great bar there that was more like a cocktail lounge with stone work decor inside. They also served mixed drinks. It was a very nice place that seemed out of place in Viet Nam. But my point to this post is that those special forces guys welcomed us Navy guys into that bar no questions asked about rank or anything else. They certainly didn't act like any elite bunch. That was very cool of them and very welcome considering where we were.

aciera

Bearcat
7 years in Special Weapons
Best statement I've heard…….

"There were 500 Special Forces folks in Vietnam…….and I've had the Honor to meet all 20,000 of them"

And don't forget the Sea Wolves………Honor and Respect

g5m

Blackhawk
I was talking to a SEAL -- a real one-- at a booksigning for a book he wrote and told him I had been in the Service but not Viet Nam ..told him I felt a little guilty about that. He said "You did your part". Certainly fixed my thinking.

Back in the 1970's I met an awful lot of 'snipers' who served in Viet Nam... usually in a gun store. And I really liked the stories about a person being in some super secret outfit and there were no records of it. Uhh, okay...

aciera

Bearcat
I was talking to a SEAL -- a real one-- at a booksigning for a book he wrote and told him I had been in the Service but not Viet Nam ..told him I felt a little guilty about that. He said "You did your part". Certainly fixed my thinking.

Back in the 1970's I met an awful lot of 'snipers' who served in Viet Nam... usually in a gun store. And I really liked the stories about a person being in some super secret outfit and there were no records of it. Uhh, okay...
And one of these "snipers" could not get my 527 to shoot.
Though everyone else had NO trouble with it.
He was probably overtrained.

bigdave101

HONOR
Was with General Washington when we crossed the Potomac River... CLASSIFIED.... DON`T TELL ANYONE!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5974.JPG
    IMG_5974.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 55

BearBiologist

Hunter
I was a Viet-Nam era vet. Served stateside. Was trained as an armorer but worked as a "Remington Raider" in a training company. (Due to chronic illness, I never shipped overseas and got an "early out"). Never have said otherwise and never will. Did lose some buddies "over there" though.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
My brother in law was in special forces in the Navy. Oh wait, I think it was special Services LOL. ( For those of you non navy types special services is when you're a seagoing rate but get rotated to shore duty they send you to special services. It usually means handing out basketballs at the rec center!)