Scoping options for 10-22 takedown with Backpacker stock. Also interested in case ideas.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cv540

Bearcat
Hello all. I recently purchased a 10-22 takedown with the backpacker stock. I wanted the takedown option as it will accompany me on trips. I hate the idea of leaving a rifle in a vehicle overnight but also dont want to broadcast it's nature by carrying an obvious rifle case into wherever I am lodging.

I am seeking info/ideas as to fitting a scope to it and also case ideas.

What do you have for yours? What works and what doesnt.
Please be as SPECIFIC as possible, as far as make of base and rings combinations.

------SCOPE-----
-I am leaning towards a smaller scope as it seems fitting this type of rifle with a large/heavy scope defeats the purpose of a relatively small light rifle. Downside of some small scopes are limited eye relief.

-I am leaning towards some type of quick detachable mount as that will ease the storage and transport of it.

-I am not ruling out some type of red dot sight, just more familiar with traditional scopes.

-----CASE----
I would like a small, flat, soft case for it. Rifle broken down is about 19 1/2 inches, so a 20 inch case would be perfect. I want something that is not too thick, as I want to be able to keep it under a vehicle seat.

It will fit in the bottom of an overnight bag or a small duffle bag when travelling, but I would like it to have it's own case when not traveling.

-----CASE----
I would like a small, flat, soft case for it. Rifle broken down is about 19 1/2 inches, so a 20 inch case would be perfect. I want something that is not too thick, as I want to be able to keep it under a vehicle seat.

It will fit in the bottom of an overnight bag or a small duffle bag when travelling, but I would like it to have it's own case when not traveling.

I like computer cases, because they don't offend anyone, tend to be well made, and are inexpensive if you buy them used. This one is 19" wide (22" on the diagonal) and cost $2 at the Goodwill store:

1698171751316.png

Tool bags don't fit your criteria because they're not flat, but they work well for me; I've discovered that I can carry them through hotel lobbies while traveling, and nobody looks twice because they almost scream "TOOLS!" (and NOT "guns!"). This one is 19" long (21.5" on the diagonal):

1698171974876.png

Almost forgot racquet cases - they come in different sizes and shapes. This one is 28" long and cost a few bucks used:

1698173351350.png

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat

I like Leupold scopes and have one of these. From your description of what you would like, I think this would suit your needs

I bought an unfired used 10-22 takedown in July. It's SS with plastic stock shaped like the wooden carbine stock. It came with the Ruger take down carry case. Thats what I will use. It's a 25-50 yd rifle for me as such I placed a scope designed for rimfires, Vortex 2-7 32mm, not wanting expensive quick release rings, I used Leupold rifleman aluminum rings and Weaver aluminum base. Mods are a KIdd light weight trigger spring and bolt lock/release.
Not a whole lot of testing yet, maybe 100 rounds of CCI mini mag. After it was sighted in, I shot 3, 5 shot groups, took it apart and put back together in between shooting those 3 groups. At 25 yds no shift in impact. I checked the barrel tighten ring each time and it was still tight. I didn't save the targets, it's not a match rifle like any I used to win SB position matches, but I was not disappointed either. I consider it a keeper. It was purchased to not have a safe queen life, but a rifle that gets tossed into my truck, SUV, boat or strapped to the ATV. While in the case, of course. I have a .22lr suppressor on order, not sure if I will have the barrel threaded or not. The suppressor is for a Bergara BXR rifle.

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to 10/22s but I'd second the Vortex 2-7 32mm. I'm using a Game Reaper Medium 10/22 mount.
Also the latest 10/22 TD bag from Ruger is pretty generic looking, it does come with a Ruger patch but its velcro and comes off. To me the plain rectangular bag doesn't speak to rifle. I have a Hogue stock and really like the setup. Keep the barrel tightened per manual and I get groups just as good as my regular 10/22.

1022 TD.jpg

Bag link:
https://shopruger.com/Scoped-Rifle-Takedown-Case/productinfo/83001/

While I don't have a 10/22 takedown, my comment is about the case situation.

Last month traveling out to the East Coast Gathering, I brought some pistols. I sure didn't want to leave them in the truck at the hotel's overnight.

Each pistol was in a pistol rug, then into an airline sized roller carryon suitcase. Looked just like regular luggage and nobody questioned it at all. My particular carryon is hard sided for extra protection.

I know you're asking about the 10/22 takedown rifle case. But same thing. Find something not associated with guns. The tennis racket case or laptop computer bag are both great ideas.