Mini 14 Stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I am looking for opinions for a stock upgrade for my Mini 14 (Pre-ranch version). Right now I have the OEM Ruger synthetic stock. It works fine but I feel like switching things up just for the sake of variety.

I have my eye on three stocks in particular but I am open to suggestions.

1. Tapco Fusion.
2. ATI Strikeforce
3. Hogue Overmolded.

I realize that the first two are pretty different from the Hogue (the tapco being a telescoping stock and the ATI being a folder/telescoper).

What are peoples' experiences with each, pros/cons/comments. The other thing that is important is that anything I buy needs to be compatible with my Amega scout rail.

I have already Ruled out the SCAR stock and the Troy Industries stock. Both of those are nice but cost an arm and a leg.

Pictures of your setup would be very helpful.

Cheers,

-Steve

Al James

Hunter
My vote is for the Hogue. Keeps the lines traditional, is good quality and adds a nice "feel" to the Mini. The other 2 both look and feel cheesy IMO. Of course you know what opinions are like.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
If it is one of the older Mini-14's you coud go with one of the original Ruger folding stocks for the Mini. Kind the original A-Team used, and featured o teh opening of the new A-Team movie.

They are out there in both the blued and stinless configuration if you are willing to look for them.

dBhound

Bearcat
I have a Tapco Fusion stock on my 1999 Mini and I wouldn't recommend it. The hand guard bolts on with spacers and is not heavy duty enough for me. In fact, I have the stock black guard snapped on with the Fusion lower. Looks OK I guess. Like anyone would actually mount anything on that rail anyway. Loose as a goose.

This is more of an appearance than a handling package. LOL

I can email a pic to someone for posting here if anyone is interested. Not set up for pictures yet.

Good luck on the build.

dBhound

RustyD

Bearcat
I have the ATI on mine and I like it. Also came w/ the Hogue stock and I like that too. I just like pistol grips when shooting from a sitting position as I would be doing for Predator hunting. Although I don't use my 2008 mini as it is inaccurate, 4-5" @ 50!

Al James

Hunter
RustyD":2caff6es said:
Although I don't use my 2008 mini as it is inaccurate, 4-5" @ 50!

:shock: If you have tried all of the usual remedies I would give Ruger a call on that one. 8-10 MOA doesnt quite cut it IMO.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
RustyD":2gffmz6a said:
I have the ATI on mine and I like it. Also came w/ the Hogue stock and I like that too. I just like pistol grips when shooting from a sitting position as I would be doing for Predator hunting. Although I don't use my 2008 mini as it is inaccurate, 4-5" @ 50!

Yeah, if you are shooting basketball sized groups at 50 yds you should have that looked at. My mini shoots 2.5-3.5in groups at 100yds. This is with a 5MOA red dot sight and no magnification.

BTW, How does the ATI stock fit on your Mini barrel/action? Tight, Loose. Is there any movement that you can see?

sargents1

Single-Sixer
SteelShooter":tv89f9kx said:
If it is one of the older Mini-14's you coud go with one of the original Ruger folding stocks for the Mini. Kind the original A-Team used, and featured o teh opening of the new A-Team movie.

They are out there in both the blued and stinless configuration if you are willing to look for them.

hmmm.....

sargents1

Single-Sixer
RustyD":3tgq7zpq said:
Already sent it right back to Ruger and had a post on another site.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthre ... mini+sucks

They said it was fixed and now met THEIR specs.

But the ATI stock does fit nice, I really like it as many others do.

That being the case, I would do one of two things.

1. Sell it to my Brother-in-law (or some other sucker) for as much as I could get for it because he can't shoot to save his life and would never know the difference. :D

2. Try some of the usual tricks that people do to make Minis shoot. Accu-Strut, flash-hider/muzzle brake, barrel shortened to 16.25in, Scout Rail, bedding, Trigger work, Different weight of bullets etc.

Before you do any of these things, get a friend who is a good shot try the rifle and see how the gun performs for someone else.

RustyD

Bearcat
I am an Excellant shot shooting clover leafs w/ many of my guns at 100. The only guns I shoot at 50 are slugs and the mini. I don't like the looks of those add ons, yuck!

sargents1

Single-Sixer
RustyD":1ah4i11l said:
I am an Excellant shot shooting clover leafs w/ many of my guns at 100. The only guns I shoot at 50 are slugs and the mini. I don't like the looks of those add ons, yuck!

Time to sell it and get an AR-15.

Latest posts