Is this "normal" ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a Lyman "Pro 505" beam scale... just a simple set up right? Yet, every time I double check a powder charge weight on my electric scale (forget the name/model at the moment), the comparison is always right on the money out to two digits beyond the decimal. It just seems unusual to me that the old beam scale would be so accurate (I realized two digits past the decimal is not rocket science accuracy, but still.....). Also interesting to my non-technical mind, the electric scale requires more constant calibration during a reloading session where I am weighing every charge (could be because I'm working under old fashioned fluorescent light bulbs.
Anyone have the same experience?

Cholo

Staff member
Yes, they say fluorescent lights can affect digital scales. I've never used those lights over my scale.

I have a PACT digital scale I bought around 1990. As long as I warm it up and calibrate it each time, which takes about 1 minute, it's very consistent. I do check it every 20 rounds loaded to make sure it's still on 00.0 with the empty powder tray on it.

Years ago I checked it against my RCBS balance beam scale and it was dead on. I have a 230.0 grain 45 ACP bullet I use to make sure nothing's gone wonky.

I wouldn't go back to the balance beam unless the PACT crapped out. Then I'd buy another one.

In my life as a USAF Metrologist, I repaired and calibrated both beam and digital scales and in fact we calibrated the check weights used to make sure the operator knew it was working correctly.

We had a 6 foot (2- 3 foot arms) bullion beam balance that was mounted inside a shock resistant glass case (with vertical sliding front) to remove any discrepancies from vibrations and air currents. It was accurate to +/- 0.000001 mg (1 microgram).

We would show it off when the Wing Commander would bring high ranking vistors to the Lab (Precision Measuring Equipment Laboratory). The Wing Commander knew the routine (because we pulled it on him :) ) We would give the visitor a piece of paper (which we knew the weight beforehand) and had him/her sigh it in pencil and then we would reweigh it. We would accurately weigh the amount of pencil lead and tell them the weight. The Wing Commander would then say to them, "I told you your signature didn't carry much weight" and then laugh. He loved bringing people in, especially if their signature was shorter than his as we had given him the paper that he signed and we annoted the weight of his signature.

Digital scales are good for quick, routine, repetative measurements but they do have their limitations (temperature, light (as mentioned before), vibrations, air currents). For the average reloader though, a decent digital, even the cheaper ones nowadays will do what you need and an efficient manner. Just use the check weight every now and then to make sure it's working like it's suppose to.

Last edited:
Notice what is front and center. End of story :)

1704411941628.png

gunzo

Hunter
I once got pretty serious about long range rifle shooting & my loading process received more scrutiny than ever before.
A pact digital wasn't always agreeing with my old RCBS 505 scale so a 1010 was added. Then another digital with electronic dispenser. Was also eyeballing lab grade digitals.
When the dust cleared, the digitals would likely need to be encased & void of any draft & all fluorescent lights removed. I sold the digital dispenser, stored the newer 1010 scales, a 100 round box of 22's fell of the top shelf & landed smack dab in the middle of the tray of the other digital I had. Half of it's worth to repair. Scrapped it. I will admit it was great for sorting brass for weight, but had also learned that if I bought known high quality brass to begin with, it didn't need weigh sorted.

Long story short, no draft containment area for a lab grade digital, I still have serviceable fluorescents & back to using my faithful RCBS 505 that I've used since '74. The moral, if there is one. Don't fret too much with the simpler stuff, keep it clean, calibrated, & trust it till it fails. It will be around when the next gen electronic stuff is gone.

What is it about fluorescents lights and how do they affect digital scales?

I reload in the garage. But I installed LED flourcesent lighting. Is that the same as the older flourcesent lights with the large ballasts?

LED flourcesent lights are ballast free by the way.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
My old Lee beam scale with the steel ball counterweights, powder dippers and a trickler have loaded thousands of accurate rifle cartridges.
I have never seen a reason to compare their accuracy to any battery operated gimmick.
I even weigh charges when using the old hammer operated Lee Loaders. In the dark, on a log, next to a fire.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Good thoughts everyone.... thanks.
I continue with my very OLD fluorescents because I'm too lazy to install the LED's I have stashed in my workshop. I suspect they are the culprits in messing with my digital scale, but I don't mind re-calibrating frequently..... I have the 5-0-5 to keep my anal side (no pun intended) happy.
J.