inseam measurement?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was checking out new blue jeans and read this review: "the inseam was 3 1/2 inches too long because instead of measuring from the bottom of the zipper to the bottom of the leg, the new supplier is measuring from the crotch of the pants, adding several inches to the length".
Grouch Attack confirmed my thought that crotch to bottom of pants leg is the common measurement. Have we been confused for the past 50-60 years?

Just to say it, back when I was young and my mother would take me to a department store or such and even when I was a bit older the guy in the men's department always measured from up in the crotch and then down. I'm not anti gay but I'm pretty sure they enjoyed this. Not being of that persuasion I think there was a hidden message in this because they always looked straight at you when they did this.

Just to say it, back when I was young and my mother would take me to a department store or such and even when I was a bit older the guy in the men's department always measured from up in the crotch and then down. I'm not anti gay but I'm pretty sure they enjoyed this. Not being of that persuasion I think there was a hidden message in this because they always looked straight at you when they did this.
I've never experienced that, maybe it was just you? :D

nekvermont

Buckeye
They were just looking to see if you cracked a smile. ;)

wws

Bearcat
I'm with you 6GUNSONLY. As a teenager I was 6'3" and had a 36" inseam. Back then a 36" inseam pants was hard to come by. I never had the opportunity to roll them up.

They were just looking to see if you cracked a smile. ;)
Well I have to say I was pretty at that Age.

6GUNSONLY & wws: in that regard here is something interesting about y'all saying it was difficult for you to find the right pants.... look at the below picture, it has always mystified me:

Attachments

• A1Fku+dwOiL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
    A1Fku+dwOiL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
As I recall my first jeans were all the same inseam length and we just turned up whatever cuff was required. I remember that at times, when Mom unrolled the cuffs to wash them, a coin or two would drop out, or a pencil eraser. Those big cuffs caught a lot of falling coins and stuff.

Bob Wright

diffy40

Single-Sixer
You were pretty lucky Bob, most I ever got out of mine was dirt and stones, which eventually led to a sore butt. Mom wasn't real fond of mud in the washing machine. She might have asked me to empty them a few times before the sore butt.

caryc

Hawkeye
Anybody remember back about 1956, us greasers as opposed to surfers used to buy our Levis too long and fold up the extra length under the pants leg? Like at least 3 inches. Of course "tankers" were the "had to have" jacket and it couldn't have that shiny finish on it. It had to be the dull finish.

rwp315

Single-Sixer

I remember that!

Hmm as a kid I would roll my jean cuffs. Funny how those cuffs started out quite long and slowly got shorter. Of course I originally had to cinch in the waist with a belt but around th time the cuffs disappeared they were getting tight around the waist. Shirts seemed to get tighter and the arms shorter at the same time.

For the first 18 years of my life I never had a button up dress shirt with the right neck size... I did not like having to go to church because of this... is what I remember always being strangled... buttoning that last button and then putting a clip on tie.. ....