I almost bought an AR15 yesterday.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Hunter
I agree with the lack of desire and need but I got an AR556 a couple of years ago and a PC9 for the wife. Glad I did because they tightened things up here in WA State. Stock up on mags if you do get one!

I understand the reluctance to buy a rife you don't "need" and may not shoot often. I put it off for years. But like fire insurance on the house it is an expense I don't need, for something I don't need-until I need it! I have a S&W M&P Sport (the first one). Smith has just released the Sport III. This is a great basic, well made, reliable AR for a reasonable price. I suggest you at least take a look at one. "A handgun is something you use to fight your way to your rifle"-Client Smith. If I have to deal with someone armed with a rifle, I want a rifle. If I have to deal with Zombies in the streets, I want a rifle. If I have to play "1861", I want a rifle. If I have to reenact Red Dawn III, I want a rifle. It probably will never be "needed" and I probably won't need the fire insurance either. BTW I also have a 9mm PCC that takes Glock mags which I don't shoot often to go with my Glock 19 that I do shoot often. This extends the effective range of my Glock to 75-100 yards. I've narrowed my firearm calibers to 5.56/.223, 9mm,.22lr. All available and relatively cheap.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I do not especially need or want one. But the constant drumbeat of bad news is starting to wear me down. I am lucky to live in the free state of Idaho. So, firearms access is easy.
(and I have plenty of hi cap mags for my 9mm's) But I keep thinking about the AR.
Am I overreacting or just being practical?
I know the feeling well. Started with Hildabeast saying she was going to take them.
Didn't own one being an M1A fan, but I went and bought one. Then Obumer said
he'd take them and I bought another. Then FJB said he's coming for them so I bought
a 3rd. I still prefer my M1A (carried an M14 in Nam) and even my SKS or AK over the
AR platform but I am in the market for a 7.5 inch AR pistol for night carry walking my
chihuahua with the coyotes being a problem around here.
Dano

crstrode

Single-Sixer
I do not especially need or want one. But the constant drumbeat of bad news is starting to wear me down. I am lucky to live in the free state of Idaho. So, firearms access is easy.
(and I have plenty of hi cap mags for my 9mm's) But I keep thinking about the AR.
Buy one (or more) now.

Up until just a few years ago it was easy to buy any firearm in my state of Washington.

Now, it is not possible buy an AR15 in Washington state. Not only that but most other semi-automatic rifles as well. And it is also illegal to buy, sell or give a gun of any kind to anyone save for a State and Federally licensed agent. If anyone wants a firearm of any kind in less than a week or so, there is no way to do it legally here.

All it will take for Idaho to fall is just a few more invaders - be they from Washington, California, Mexico, China, etc, ad nauseam, to "vote-in" their communist brethren.

Last edited:
I know the feeling well. Started with Hildabeast saying she was going to take them.
Didn't own one being an M1A fan, but I went and bought one. Then Obumer said
he'd take them and I bought another. Then FJB said he's coming for them so I bought
a 3rd. I still prefer my M1A (carried an M14 in Nam) and even my SKS or AK over the
AR platform but I am in the market for a 7.5 inch AR pistol for night carry walking my
chihuahua with the coyotes being a problem around here.
Dano
maybe one like this,, top one is just a upper , bottom complete pistol

bobski

Hunter
if get another one, its going to be handed to me from a friend of a friend of a friend, who is dead.
not, today with a paper saying i have one and everyone in high places knows it.

... some of the draw backs are they cost more as does the ammo and they are heavier but they hit harder and have more range

Not to mention, the .308 ARs are not as standardized as AR15s - parts (including magazines) are not always interchangable, and some are literally proprietary, so you need to really pay attention when you make a purchase.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Mike J

Hunter
Not to mention, the .308 ARs are not as standardized as AR15s - parts (including magazines) are not always interchangable, and some are literally proprietary, so you need to really pay attention when you make a purchase.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)
I still find myself wanting one though.

It's an incredibly practical choice. A solid, accurate and reliable platform. If crap hits the fan mags and ammo should be laying around. Accurate with the ability for suppressive fire. Not to mention a platform that is literally Barbie for Men. Once you graduate beyond the basic you can do 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster for deer and bear. Step up to the AR10 action for some options for anything that walks the Earth!!!

I won one at my gun club BBQ a few years ago. Before that I never even really looked at them. I've only taken it out once to shoot it. Then I bought a lower and over the next year or so I bought good parts to assemble another. I guess that was a few years ago now as well. I've never shot it yet. But it's all good. :)

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Many years agos at Cabelas up in Pa..Friend bought a Bushmaster Varminter. I thought about getting one... Was going back up in a few days to pick up reloading supplies. Told the fellow that was with me that bought the Bushmaster. He wanted to sell it because someone sold him a Colt. Unfired So I bought it from him and no tax. It is neat to shoot 'yotes with. PDs too. I also have a complete Anderson lower and just bought a new complete Anderson upper I just bought at a club swap meet. Stole that upper got it and 3 full 30 round mags with flip up sights for 175 dollars 300 in the whole thing. At about Christmas I bought an AR 10 Armalite unfired for 700 bucks. Had to buy a couple mags as the fellow didn't have any mags Buy the AR. You may not need it but you may not be allowed to buy one in the future...and they are fairly cheap right now

I like to build (and shoot) the AR platform. I have a few, including 2 SBR's (a SIG that I won in 5.56 NATO, and one I built in 9mm and it is suppressed) I've built them with standard lowers and side charging lowers, one with a slick side lower, and a AR pistol in 9mm. I also own a Ruger SR556 and a AR556. The very first AR I ever bought (in 2006) is an Armalite AR-15 (20" heavy barrel, fixed carry handle, A2 buttstock (fixed, not collapsible). It goes well with my collection of the US's main battle rifles (alas, mine are all semi auto versions, I don't have the moola for select or full auto versions)

I like the AR platform, I shot in competitions in the USAF (and medaled) with M-16's and I just like them.

akmania

Single-Sixer
My first choice would be a AK47 , but if you don't already have one that you bought 15 -20 years ago they are really expensive now.Used to buy them all the time for $275 -$300.Most I ever gave for one, was a MAK90 NIB $400

Last edited:

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I own 3 AR-15's. Two Colts and an S&W M&P 15. In service I qualified with a first gen M-16 and M-14 and as soon as I got out I bought my first Colt. An A2 HBAR, the S&W came later and followed by M1A and most recently a new Colt LE6920 M4. I believe they'll take a prominent role if and when the crap hits the fan, especially the AR's.