Birdshead Wrangler Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Patience and persistence pay off again!

I've been mildly interested in getting a Birdshead. I've got Bisley Rugers, plough handle grip Rugers XR3-RED and XR3, Bearcat models but had only handled a Birdshead once. Liked it but wasn't driven to find one immediately. I'm still kicking myself for not doing Buy it Now on Gunbroker for a NIB 44 Mag Birdshead Vaquero priced around $750 about a year ago. They are regularly selling for $1000 and more.

So I've watched Birdshead models for a while and even though I'm not very impressed with my standard Wrangler I set up a search for Birdshead Wranglers. If the right price came along I could try a Birdshead on the cheap. Well last week my long search came to fruition when I picked up a NIB black Birdshead Wrangler for $126!

At that price I couldn't go wrong in trying a Birdshead. Plus I got my $25 Rewards from Ruger for a Wrangler purchase making my deal even sweeter!

I have not taken it to the range yet but so far I like the feel of the Birdshead. Not sure how it would be in a big bore Vaquero with hot loads but in 22lr or Mag it should be fine. I like the balance of it. Feels heavier than I thought with a stubby grip.

Added bonus...my 22 Mag cylinder fits great in it. The same cylinder fits in a Single-Six, standard Wrangler and the Birdshead but not in my Bisley Single-Six. I have no intention in regularly shooting 22 Mag in either Wrangler but a small diet will not blow up the gun nor cause excessive wear. In the very rare case that I want to up the 22 ante I can in both my Wranglers with the Magnum cylinder.

My 1 complaint is the factory grips. They feel fine but just look cheap. I'm on the hunt for some grips to class it up. But being a Wrangler that I got for a steal I won't be spending big bucks on grips that cost half as much or more than the gun did.

I'll update whenever I get some better grips. As for pictures here's one found online. Mine looks just like that.

Attachments

• birdsh.jpg
    birdsh.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 47

G2

Hunter
What would your budget be for some grips for your Wrangler? Might have some ideas.

The Birdshead 22's are a whoot. My first was when they were first introduced, (2011) paid just under $500 and at the time thought it was ridicules to pay that. Then started shooting it, especially like the 22 Mag.
Made it mine by changing out the hammer to Bisley.
Top to Bottom; FT45/45acp, Vaquero 45/45acp, S7-327M, S6-22/22M
50286667097_e39a7e9738_k.jpg

Came across a Qualite OM Brass Birdshead grip frame with Ivory grips for cheeep.
Liked the Magnum so much decided to look for a OM "Magnum" marked Single Six, also like the OM top strap shape, w /drift rear sight -vs- the NM "Vaquero" style.
Found one that was well used and perfect candidate for the build.
Have this one just about done, it is shooting, still working on the front sight, and then blue/brown vintage gunfighter finish. (Bottom Gun)
51750706756_042af9d6ad_k.jpg

This picture was taken when I acquired the NM fixed sight Bisley. (Top gun)
The barrel had bottom 2 inches of barrel rusted, left in a leather holster w/ snow??🙄
Barrel has now been cut to 3.6" & the warning removed.
Custom cut a Qualite XR3-RED Brass grip frame down to Round Butt/ Birdshead.
Was going to use the factory Black Micarta,,, but have since started working on some black walnut grips.
Will end up with the OM shaped top strap w/ drift rear sight, but a NM, safe to carry all 6 loaded.
The start of the new grips…
1716067411945.jpeg

1716067622109.jpeg

FWIW: I bought a Wrangler Birdshead "just because" but the first trip out it had a manufacture defect. It went back to the Ruger, Gun was destroyed, and offered me a "anything replacement" at substantial discounted price.
I thought that was too good to be true, so I asked about a Marlin 45/70. It was not too good to be true.
Ruger stepped up big time with Unbelievable Customer Service.

Last edited:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
What would your budget be for some grips for your Wrangler?
I don't have an exact price point in mind. But I don't want to spend a bunch when it's for a Wrangler and especially when I got it for such a low price. I kinda chuckle when I see guys who have expensive custom grips on a Wrangler. It's like buying custom wheels and Z rated tires for a base model Honda Civic. May look good but the action/engine are nothing special.

Really love your assortment of black grips. I prefer black grips on stainless single actions and ivory on blued or black single actions. I'm not dead set on having to have ivory grips for the Birdshead but my Bisley Single Six, Bearcat and original Wrangler have imitation ivory grips.

If you've got some ideas on where to look or spare sets of grips you're looking to sell let me know. Thanks

I'm not selling any of these grips, but they will give you an idea what they would look like on your Wrangler Birdshead.
Ruger black laminated gunfighter style
IMG_0988.jpeg

Ruger simulated ivory
IMG_0989.jpeg

Ruger black Micarta
IMG_0993.jpeg

Unknown make gunfighter simulated ivory
IMG_0994.jpeg

:cool:

G2

Hunter
rammerjammer,,,

The reason I asked about budget,,, I have a set of these, have spent 2 days looking for them, and cannot locate them. FWIW; would want $44 shipped.
1716301370863.jpeg

I have a set of these, and did find them, however they are worth more than you paid for your gun. ~$150, Very rare and delicate,,, so not really a good option for a Wrangler.
1716301420932.jpeg

The black micarta were plentiful a few years back & some places blew them out ~ $15,,, now bring ~$80.🙄
FWIW; Both the Black & Ivory w/ the "SR" medallion were made by LETT, and some of the last before they closed.

I would suggest eBay, search Ruger Birdshead grips, and the sort, lowest price + ship and there are some decent examples ~$30 +/-.

photo credits : Very excellent photo's borrowed/stolen from professor_cassidy.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I have a set of these, and did find them, however they are worth more than you paid for your gun. ~$150, Very rare and delicate,,, so not really a good option for a Wrangler.
And of course my favorite of all the grips pictured on this thread are the ivories worth $150!

Great looking grips but they're too good for a Wrangler and definitely not when they're worth more than what I paid for my Birdshead Wrangler.

I've got searches set up on ebay and Gunbroker. Already ordered a cheap set of faux ivory on ebay about $25 shipped. If they fit well and feel good in hand I'll probably be content. But I'll stay on the lookout for a deal on better ivory or black micarta grips.

Patience got me a great deal on the Birdshead Wrangler so I'll do the same on locating better grips.

Latest posts