Zeus

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Well............ It's Zeus' turn in the barrel. Zeus was the youngest member of the 'sixshot' hunt, thru no fault of his own. He has a degree in Chemical Engineering, and is a Landfill operator, finder, maintainer, and protector, of said facility. This really came in handy, as he knew what to do with all the trash talk, late at night, in Idaho. :D

Zeus has a real "Swagger" in his walk. When I first met him, he was lugging around a Pelican injected molded, polymer rifle case, for 2 rifles. Inside contained the Holy Grail, of handguns. Custom jobs by the likes of Bowen, Harton, Linebaugh, and of course, Grover, with a sprinkling of Fishpaw, and Turnball, for good measure. There were a few 'stock' Freedom Arms, tho'. I thought I was a gun nut. Glenn made me feel like an anti-gunner, after seeing and hearing some of his goodies. He has every major gunsmith, gun seller, gun writer, gun maker, and gun distributor, on speed dial on his cell phone. I just worry about that cell phone falling into the wrong hands, such as Handgun Control, Inc. I'm sure Sarah Brady would love to have that little goody, in her gun snathing fingers.

As to Glenn's talk, he has a true southern accent, which originated in Mississippi. One night we needed some items from the local grocery store, as Glenn was going to make us some pork and ribs. Pushing his grocery cart, Glenn spotted a young clerk, and politely asked, "Excuse me, Dya'll have any lumina full ? " The clerk had a blank look on his face. Glenn repeated, " Dya'll have any lumina full ?" This time, the clerk simply said they didn't carry any. Glenn found it on his own. Aluminum foil, was the item we were looking for.

As to the meal Glenn prepared for us, it was simply outstanding. I don't think there was any risk of any Muslims showing up for this meal. Pork butt roast, and ribs. I can't remember if they were baby back, or spare ribs, as they were gone so fast, you couldn't tell. I think it was at this point, I really started to feel like I fit in. Everytime pork butt roast was mentoined, I heard the guys giggle, and heard my name in the mix. Glenn started smoking these ribs and roasts the night before the meal, in his smoker, he brought from home. It was a laborious task of mustard rubs, dry spice rubs, smoking, wrapping in 'lumina full', after a honey and brown sugar rub, and more smoking. The final production was perfection, tho' Glenn said he was disappointed in the outcome, as he couldn't give the food his full attention, as he had to kill an elk, in between the steps.

That night at dinner, you would have thought someone died. There was no conversation, whatsoever, besides pass the ribs, or pass the pork roast, please. The highest compliment you can give a cook, is a silent meal, as everyone eats, and moans, to their hearts content.

As to Glenn's hunt, I think he had the most fun out of all of us. He waited until the last day, to shoot his cow. He also got to shoot the most. He did an excellent job. I believe 6 of 8 hits to the vitals, before she fell down. This, on a adrenalized, 800 lb. animal. Arm chair theoroist can talk, dissect, and re-hash all they want, it was a great performance by Glenn, the bullet, and the gun at hand. I think I can speak for everyone involved, that the best part of this hunt, was the friends we all made.

elk025.jpg

We had to wait a few minutes to take this picture, as Glenn's gun was so hot, he couldn't hold it :D

elk033.jpg

Here's Glenn and his elk, ready to go home . Notice his license plate. I did, in case I see it in my home state.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Shoot ! I forgot to mentoin how Glenn called you for the ruger rear sights, on speed dial, and you brought them with you, to the Elmer museum. Thanks, again Robb !

After Glenn was done with it, it was a Swiss llamma, as in cheese ! :D

sixshot

Buckeye
Glenn was a real hoot to have around, always something going on when he's close by, I think he could get by on 2 hrs sleep a night & be ready to go. Very polite, very knowledgeable, witty & a nice looking young fellow....
seems like there's something else he wanted me to tell you :lol: no, no, actually its all true, my wife & I really enjoyed him, Sam, Tyrone & Jeff every single day.
Something like this doesn't come around very often for any of us, it was a real treat to meet other handgunners from around the country & share our sport.

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
You are all correct. They were all quality guys and it was fun to associate with them. I'd pack the extra cartridges for any of them anytime. Can'tshoot

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh,,, Zeus,,, he was such a ,,,,,,,,,,, (oops, did I say that out loud? :D )
Seriously,, we had a great time and I had to kid him a bit. A couple of southerners (Sam & I ) had to go all the way to Idaho & eat bar-b-que! Yep, he had some VERY nice guns in his case,, and if he'd been able to get his elk sooner, I wanted another trip to the range just to "play" with all the toys we brought. It was not to be. I spent a fair amount of time trying to find him an elk to shoot. We finally succeeded! His elk was truly a group effort!
However,, I too second what Dick has said,, the best part was all of us handgunners from this wonderful Forum being able to meet & enjoy new found friendships!
I've been on several group types of hunts before. I have NEVER had one like this,, and it was by far the best one yet. Even though the elk "hunt" was just a management thing. Truly the best hunting memory with friends I've ever had.

Zeus

Blackhawk
Boy, I leave civilization for a couple of days and get roasted when I leave town. Only a couple of things were actually true in those statements but i'm not going to say which ones :) We did have a GREAT time and Mr. Dick and Mrs. Thompson were unbelievably tolerant with the slow talking "youngest" member of the party :) These guys were awesome to be around for the week and we all shared some pretty tall tales accompanied by large glasses of lemonade. Jeff broke his 45 Bisley in right with some incredible shooting. Contender added another notch to the ol' 7x30 and Mr. Dick smoked yet another victim of the sixgun. I never stop learning at this game so it was great to have this much experience in one spot to learn from. Take care guys!

GS

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, now I can fill in the "blank" area in my above post. I left out the word "gentleman." Now, for any of y'all who thought of something else,, shame on y'all! :D

Latest posts