Zero distance for RPR 22lr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

InfidelDoc

Bearcat
I'm used to a 100 yd zero shooting ELR with 300prc...with 22 trying to figure which zero works best with dialing mils at distance...Kestral goes down to 30 yds ...but 50 makes more sense to me. Just not used to shooting targets under 50 yds!

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
What distance are y'all zeroing you ruger rpr 22's? I'm wanting to stretch it out to 4 or 500 at some point...I've got plenty of mil adjustments available. Thanks!
I don't mean to sound judgmental, but 4 to 500 yards with a .22, even a .22wmr seems
a little ambitious? To zero at 300 yards would require a 45 inch rise at 150. That's discounting
all other factors, wind, heat, humidity etc etc. I think that if you're serious about shooting
a .22 at 500 yards, you'll be disappointed. At a 100 yd zero, the bullet arc at 55 yrds is
2.5 inches, a much more realistic goal.
Dano

wwb

Hunter
Yeah.... 400 to 500 yards with a .22 rimfire gives you a trajectory that looks more like a mortar than a rifle. You would need a tilted rail for starters... not sure how many MOA you can get in one, but you'll need the most you can get - might even need separate bases with shims under the rear base, and you still might run out of adjustment in the scope.

InfidelDoc

Bearcat
I've got 30 moa built in scope base...got 25+mils in scope...and I use Ram200 from Valdada for ELR shooting with my 300 prc. Shot the Ruger 22 yesterday...shot great, but, I can see 22lr is a whole 'nother game!

I dunno. .22 LR is my absolute favorite ammo to shoot. That being said, going for 500 yards is sort of like spitting for distance, at least as far as a defensive weapon, both in power and accuracy. If you are talking about competitive shooting at that distance, the WWB's "mortar" reference covers it. I know this isn't very helpful, Sorry. For that distance maybe Remington .223?

Dan in MI

Staff member
4-500 may be ambitious, but I remember many evenings at the silhouette range shooting the big bore rams (200m) with our unlimited 22 handguns.

I can tell you a .22 will take down a BB ram IF you hit the top 2-3" of the horn.

It may be difficult, but I'd try that distance with a rifle if I had the right equipment.

A while back I was tasked with removing some 'aquatic rodents' from a private pond. Due to the location and 'other' factors(the requestor's wife is a hardcore DON'T KILL THE CREATURES person), I was limited to the use of a suppressed 22 and sub-sonic ammo from about 3x further away from the target(s) than would normally be optimal. Finding the trajectory wasn't difficult but trying to guess the wind was terribly frustrating. I'd take a shot as soon as I got setup in the evening to judge my windage hold off but 1/2 hour later when the critters began moving, the breeze had shifted a smidge causing POI to change by inches (or feet). I didn't have much success until the family went to a school band concert and I was able to use the suppressed 17 HMR from much closer. Let's just say the turtles were well fed for several days afterward.
Long range 22 shooting (in my experience) is based on walking bullets on target.

Walking the bullets into/onto the target does work. Caught a porcupine crossing a dirt/dusty field one day wide out in the open so hard to judge distance. 10-22 with a tasco mildot 2.5 X 10 scope, I held 4 dots high and watched for the dust. After holding higher on each of 4 consecutive shots seen in the dust, finally got on him and emptied the rest of the mag. Dug out the range finder and it was just a hair over 300 yards.

I run the same scope on most of mine set up for sage rat shooting. I zero at 50 yards which puts me within 2 inches from about 15 yards out to 75 yards. Outside this I just use the mil dots to adjust---usually after the first shot and splashing the dust, just hold up another dot or 2 until I find the range on the long ones. Pretty much lethal out to about 125. The chart I shared above also just happened to be the same ammo I use---Federal American Eagle hollow points. I have also found that Stingers will shoot about 1 inch higher with the same zero. Really hard to get the short shots but easier on the ones out to about 150.

Last edited:

Latest posts