Youtube Gun Experts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckaroo

Banned
I like Hickok .45 and Gunblast
Haven't watched since Jeff died. And hickok45 was the very first gunner I ever saw on YouTube all by accident as I was not looking for gun channels and then I watched very briefly and forgot about him to a few years later.
Like some others here that have pointed out I'm mainly just seeing how to field strip a particular firearm I might be interested in. But even then they are not on the bigger channels. Hickok45 is a shooter that's all he wants to do, I bet if you talked to him privately he'd rather not be doing YouTube, he just wants to shoot.

hittman

Staff member
One thing I appreciate about Hickok45 is the variety of guns he shows. He’d not only about the newest and latest widget. He did a show on the 30 Carbine, another on the Colt SP1s that came out right after the Vietnam War.

kmoore

Buckeye
I learned to go to You Tube before attempting work on a vehicle, gun or even a washing machine that I needed refreshing on or never tore into them before. I try to watch more than one to see how much they are the same and different.
As far as watching any gun experts, no I have not. When Glock came out with the single stack 380 and 9mms I looked for reviews. I found a guy who wanted to waste my time by deboxing the thing on camera. He did not know the parts names and I turned him off when he mentioned the empty hole behind the mag, well. He said to buy a plug for it, he could not understand why Glock would make a gun with that empty space. Well, he could have asked the factory before making a fool of himself on You Tube.
Glock made that hole/opening so if you ever have a mag. stuck in the gun you can use your thumb and forefinger to remove it. Why? short version, polymer mags. and polymer frames are not as slick as metal mags. and metal frames. The magazine may not drop freely and need help.

Old and grumpy

Bearcat
Good how to videos for there parts. I have done AK, S&W MP Sheild, and a 60 year old trashed Marlin 60 with there help and parts. Got email today they have trigger and spring kits for LCP MAX now. https://www.mcarbo.com/

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
I get very little from You tube gun experts and their reviews. There is absolutely no information from a reviewer that shoots a pistol or rifle at 7-50 yards at steel gongs !
I can hit a steel gong with a sling shot at 10 yards 4 out of 5. I want to see groups on paper ! 99% of these video show gong shooters. I fast forward the video if I dont see a paper target on the video and scratch future videos this person has on YouTube. Marty

pyth0n

Buckeye
They're all opinion pieces & some jaded by their sponsors.
Some do in 30 or 45 minutes what could have been said in 10 or 15 minutes, like nutnfancy & Harrell. Both know they do it & both addressed it. So I speed up the playback or just jump forward.
There's a couple out there that I like for older firearms history & development. Even then the info varies.
How to videos & 2A related videos are generally good.
But all should be taken with a grain of salt, sand or alcohol.

Last edited:

NetNathan

Bearcat
There are a few on You tube that are off base. I like "FocusTripp" reviews. He will let you know if the part or the gun is any good, even if it is from a manufacture he represents. He also has some reviews on "GunDeals". The guys name is Jon.
There are a couple of others that are okay.

Last edited:

Gopher

Single-Sixer
22plinkster, Hickok45, and Honest Outlaw are my go-to gun channels. Mainly for entertainment. No matter who the reviewer is it's always taken with a grain of salt.

The A Team

Bearcat
It’s free information. Some are well done with good information. Others are thrown together in hopes of becoming an internet celebrity.

I think Gopher is right about them being entertainment because a lot of reviews/decisions are based on taste.

I found good information for a trigger change on YouTube from a online seller/ enthusiast who gave a detailed overview of every part. It was a little long winded but covered every hiccup that could happen during the install.

Mike J

Hunter
I like Hickock 45, Paul Harrell & Jerry Miculek. There are others I might watch occasionally. Yes, it is necessary to filter through this stuff & separate the wheat from the chaff.

I enjoy watching Hickock 45 because I actually think he would be fun to hang out with. He has gotten more commercial. Of course he is sponsored by Bud's & making money off other sponsors. I'm good with that. Even so if he is reviewing a firearm & it malfunctions he doesn't edit it out. He still shows it. He just doesn't make a big deal about it. If you pay attention he still gives useful information.

I tried to watch NutnFancy (spelling?) do a table top review once. When I woke up I decided I wasn't going to watch him anymore.

I might still watch Kentucky Ballistics once in a while but I don't consider him to have or use good judgement.

As others have said most of the time if I am watching a youtube video I am looking for information about a particular firearm. If you pay attention a lot of information is out there.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I haven't watched enough youtube to know who would be an expert and who wouldn't.

One thing I'm pretty sure of , and this is for gun books or youtube. Is that if they are getting guns for free to review and they don't give favorable reviews , the companies wouldn't be sending them free guns .

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
When I was younger and knew very little about firearms I read Elmer, Jack, the Colonel and so on. I learned much from them. Through the years my knowledge base has grown. I often know more than the experts. I also often disagree with what they are saying.

I imagine that today's on line experts are to today's kids what Elmer and so on were to me. Is knowledge going to be lost? Of course, from generation to genrations some knowledge is always lost, but other knowledge is gained.

When I was working I used to tell folks if you teach someone and forget one thing, then they teach a forget one thing and so on, eventually they have to relearn what has been lost.

Last edited:

smith1961

Blackhawk
"Colion Noir is a leader fighting back. He deserves great credit"

I agree 100% with Nightsailor on this. Guy goes everywhere that will listen to him, even Bill Maher, and presents facts mixed with bottom-line conclusions that are hard for anti-gunners to defeat.

vito

Hunter
I'm far from a firearms expert. I highly value my gun rights, and I own several guns that are solely in my possession to serve as a means of personal defense and defense of my family. Hickok 45 is far more expert than I am, and I trust his basic, common sense statements. In fact, I had not owned a Glock but when I heard him say that the only brand of handgun that he would trust with his life right out of the box was a Glock, I decided to give Glock a try. I own a Glock 17 and a 26 and have never had either of them fail to shoot or operate properly regardless of the type or brand of ammo, and regardless of whether or not I had cleaned the guns after extensive earlier firing.

And I know I will get flamed, but for laughs I like the videos of The Yankee Marshal.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I watch gun guys on youtube for the entertainment value. If they're shooting a gun that I'm interested in I'll watch. If they're personable I'll watch. I don't enjoy Paul Harrel's videos or HR Funk. I watch them sometimes but something is lacking about them. I like BigDaddy1911 even though he hasn't posted in a long time, sometimes Hickok45. I've been watching Ken Hackathorn with Bill Wilson lately. Sometimes I watch Mas Ayoob. If I learn something from the video or am entertained by it I'll watch. Disassembly/reassembly videos come in handy too.

Latest posts