Your VA Dollars At Work

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
You know things are getting really, really bad when the VA has it's own police force. Yep, passed one on the San Diego Freeway southbound. The VA is south of that point, so I suppose he was actually going to work.

There you go guys, our VA dollars at work. Silly of me to think they could just call the LAPD if there was an issue and spend that money on vets.

RugerHound

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
You know things are getting really, really bad when the VA has it's own police force. Yep, passed one on the San Diego Freeway southbound. The VA is south of that point, so I suppose he was actually going to work.

There you go guys, our VA dollars at work. Silly of me to think they could just call the LAPD if there was an issue and spend that money on vets.

Yep... I know the San Diego VA Hospital (Actually in La Jolla) very well from work there. They do have their own cop shop... I'm eligible for VA Benefits but I want NO part of their "system".

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
There are probably 20 or 30 special police forces in my area. They have jurisdiction in a very limited area. They all have a complete compliment of administrative staffs. Maybe I'm dimwitted but it seems to be they could save a lot of money if they were rolled into one organization and do away with a good deal of the overhead.

protoolman

Hunter
I applied many times for the VA police. Apparently they rejected my applications because I was "overqualified". I tried to claim veterans preference in hiring yet they almost always hire non veterans with no previous experience. Last time I called my congressman to find out why my app as well as a few others were not forwarded to the local VA hospital and we were told we were screened out in the Oklahoma office due to being overqualified. We immediately and mysteriously were then interviewed but I believe they had already filled the position. The chief doing the hiring told me it was the first time he had ever recieved an application from an officer with previous experience. Makes you wonder what the Oklahoma h.r. people's agenda is. The job is basically security at VA installations. It was unarmed but I heard a few years back they wanted to change that. One main component of the job is being part of the crisis team that responds to patients flipping out. Maybe they don't want to hire veterans that might have empathy for the patients. Better to hire goons who think veterans are dangerous?

sfhogman

Buckeye
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
RugerHound said:
Jeepnik said:

Yep... I know the San Diego VA Hospital (Actually in La Jolla) very well from work there. They do have their own cop shop... I'm eligible for VA Benefits but I want NO part of their "system".

Funny stuff.
I worked at the San Francisco VA Med Center for 25 years...of course they have their own police. In SF, they are POST qualified, carry Sigs and are much closer by than the local po-po should a problem arise. They are fast and pretty effective. Or you could call the SFPD and wait....

Don't know about anyone else's VA but the one in San Francisco is a large teaching hospital associated with the University of California San Francisco. Most of the docs are also professors at UC. Typically when I go there with a problem, I see one teaching physician accompanied by three or four residents. That's four very sharp people. Because it's not for profit, the doc can take as long as he wishes, instead of the obligatory 15 minutes prescribed by many HMOs.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Jeff