Your recommendation on a good .22 bolt action?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you can find a used CZ 452 of any kind in your area for $250, grab it.

There's a chance you might run into something like an old Winchester 69A in well-used (or obviously refinished) condition for that price, too.

Otherwise, the Savage is probably your best bet in a new rifle. The heavy barrel ones in particular have an excellent reputation for accuracy.

wwb

Hunter
If it's strictly for plinking (or small game hunting), I'd recommend a 10/22.... just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Not a bolt action, but one can be had new-in-the-box for just about $200.

If you want a paper-puncher, a Savage Mark II BV with the accu-trigger is the way to go. I have one with a 4-12X40 AO scope, and shooting charcoal briquets at 100 yards is not much of a challenge. With the bull barrel, though, it's not well-suited for offhand shooting (or carrying for an extended distance).

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Find a Remington Model Five - made by CZ Zastava! FUll-size walnut or laminated stock, superb accuracy and bargains under 250.

Marlin or Savage are excellent bargains for NIB accuracy but the wooden-stocked versions cllimb over your price limit. Still, if you like plastic stocks, they'll last you a lifetime as well.

CZ also makes some of the finest turnbolt rimfires. Lots of opinions but talk to someone who owns one - they'll likely own a few!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I have an old Savage/Stevens Model 15 single shot bolt action that is terror on the gophers!! One can find them in decent shape for $100 or less.

airwin

Bearcat
I vote for the CZ 452 too. I have the Lux model and it is the most accurate .22 lr rifle I have ever shot.

toysoldier

Hunter
There's lots of good used .22's at gun shows and pawn shops. Marlin, Savage, Mossberg, Winchester and Remington all made good guns. Just check for function and look for a shiny bore.

Del J

Single-Sixer
In that price range, Savage and Marlin would the my choise. If a Savage model with Accu- trigger is availible in your price range consider that. I shoot a 77/22 Ruger and CZ's they are more money, but cheaper rifles can be just as much fun.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I'm sure that at some point in history, someone has made a bad 22 bolt action, but I haven't seen one. Mossberg, Marlin, Remington, Savage, Stevens, and house brands like Sears, Revelation and a bunch of others. A lot of them, if not most, you'll have to look in the used racks, but that's half the fun.

New? Marlin or Savage probably. CZ's seem to cost more than your $250.00 limit, as does my favorite, the Ruger 77/22.

A

Anonymous

CZ ZKM 452 as several others have stated. Most accurate out of box rimfire rifle I've had the privilege put lead through.

Gumby

Bearcat
SteveRuger":2jpblvgd said:
I have a old Remington Model 514 that is a tack driver for me!

Ditto!

Picked mine up used and in like new condition at a gun show some years ago. Very accurate.

Gumby

Motex66

Single-Sixer
I have a Remington 514 also. Bought it at Western Auto when I was 14 in 1964 I belive. Cost then was less than $20. Changed the trigger spring and it is still my most shot 22 rifle.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Marlin 981t. Bolt action, tube magazine, up gradable 9000 trigger. If you want to get a wood stock Munrich has them for $50.00. The tube mag holds seventeen long rifle rounds and can be reloaded with a Spee D loader for $19.99 at Midway. The Spee D loader holds six or eight tubs you just pour down the mag. Very cool.

I picked mine up from Dicks for $180.00. I think it is a better platform for making up a good shooter than buying a used level rifle. JMVHO. Calthrop

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i have a 77/22, which was my 1st rifle, and a savage BV. really like both of them. the savage was about $300, i think the ruger would be more these days, unless you found a good used one. my uncle had an old 1960's manufacture remington bolt action with tubular mag (581?). that was also a real nice rifle.

i could really fill the entire gun safe up with bolt-action rimfires. they're all pretty good, and i havent come across one that wouldn't shoot.