Your Opinion Mark II or Mark IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Baxter6551

Bearcat
I like the MKII. Yes reassembly can be a PIA even after reading manual and watching You Tube (the video above is good).
It is the hammer strut not sitting properly in the mainspring recess while reinserting and locking down the housing that causes all the problems. Once you figure how to do that properly you are good. However if you get one of these little widgets it will be end of problem.

Last edited:

irishjack

Bearcat
Excellent video on disassembling and reassembling these older Ruger 22 pistols. I currently own a 1971 .22 Standard Model and for several years in the mid 1970's owned a bull barrel Target Model. I never had any real problems in field stripping or reassembling these pistols.

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
I am no expert with Mark IV pistols. I bought one Mark IV target 5 1/2 inch and one Mark IV 22/45 last year. I am 2 1/2 hrs from Volquartsen business in Iowa. Made a appointment with them and drove up and they put a competition kits and there fancy finger grips in both. I have found the basic Mark IV 22/45 ( $389.00 ) special shoots same groups with the Volquartsen kit as the target model witch is at least $125.00 more.
Might want to consider doing that. MD

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Always liked the Mark pistols but never liked them enough to buy one until the Mark IV came along. Woman I shoot with brought one to the weekly shooting session, let me field strip it and I bought one the next day.

I can't remember. Do all of the uppers from all Mark IVs including the 22/45s, interchange with all Mark IV lowers?
I believe the answer is yes though I only have one MK IV. See www.wirthweinguns.com under frame info.

And my opinion is the MK II and MK IV are both good options. I put the Volquartsen kits in mine and I prefer the 22/45 style frames.

Enjoy your choice (or try both)!

Jerry

well it is said above and its true depends on each of our likes and dislikes BUT the fact is even though I like the MK I's and felt the Mk II was a NICE "upgrade" one extra shot in the mag, and the slide "holds open" on the last shot, you KNOW when the gun is empty, no need to count and try to remember BUT even though the take down is all too easy on the MK IV the one one last thing I like is the magazine release higher up on the side of the frame NOT on the bottom "ala" European style of days long ago.....my only question today is how the "wedge" set up for this new takedown is going to hold up in the long run, as High Standard did away with their :wedge" type setup for holding the barrel to the frame, in time this "wedge" wore into the pin ( stud) and it gets loose,,,ta daa they eliminated it to a "screw head" but then went out of business.....
......and"so it goes....." Wil Terry RIP ;)

OK MY favorite is the Mark II 22/45 with the stainless upper that has the tapered 5 1/4 inch barrel with adjustable sights....BEST of ALL three worlds,,I rest my case:cool:

Falkov

Bearcat
Have owned a few MKII (yes one with blue 10" barrel) , MKII 22/45 and MKIII 22/45- sold them all and missed them. Recently just bought a lightly used MKII SS with 4" Bull barrel - really enjoyed shooting it. As someone had said re-assemble is really not that bad.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I have a RST 4 from late 50's,,, MKII 5"? Bull , and a stainless Slabside,, II,, scoped. All very accessible. Not handled a III model. Never wanted a IV.

No, just black trigger.
This is a FrankenRuger made from a 22/45 upper and a stainless Mark 2 lower. Reason I asked about the gold trigger is that Lipsey's had Ruger make 2 different 4 inch bull barrel Mark 2's for them. The blue is the MK4BL and the stainless is the KMK4BL. Check the top of your receiver and see if it's tapped for a scope base and the rear of the bolt to see if it has the Ruger logo on it. This is not tapped and has the logo on the bolt. It would be interesting to see if yours is another FrankenRuger.
0507211937.jpg

Falkov

Bearcat
Mine looks like yours, but it has MGW (scope) mounting on- that replaced rear sight. There's only one mounting screw there.

Rclark

Hunter
I will say though, in virtually every thread containing a Mark IV problem the gun has been modified, usually the name Volquartsen is involved.
Yep. I had to put a Volquartsen trigger set in mine as the factory trigger was almost un-usable compared to my Mark II. Now the Mark IV feels good. I just have to see about the silly hi-rez sight they put on the Mark IV Hunter... when a good o' standard sight would do.

eveled

Hawkeye
D05DD12F-25D4-45B2-95D2-3E5DBD9A7180.jpeg

I got lucky just after I found this 4 inch model, shopRuger had the matching left hand thumbrest grips on clearance! I keep the two flat grips on it. I think this one of only a few or maybe the only model that had these grips.