YOUR MEMORIES OF THE FIRST LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN SHOT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
My first magnum fired was a 4 5/8 NMBH 41 mag with stock walnut grips...

That was a learning experience. I hated those stupid little grips, but since have gotten over that

Dave T

Single-Sixer
I didn't think of the ol' 1911A1 as a "big bore" when I posted my earlier tale of my first 44 mag Ruger Blackhawk. In truth I guess my first exposure to a gun that had a bore starting with a "4" would have been in 1970 in Viet Nam with an issue 45 Auto. (LOL)

Dave

Kanook

Buckeye
Since I don't recall mine, here is my wifes.

A good friend just bought a Freedom Arms Field grade 454 with 7 1/2 barrel and was talking on how bad the recoil was and that nobody could shoot it one handed. After more talking I asked him for 2 rounds, one to try with 2 hands (just in case it is as bad as he says) and one for one handed.

He agreed and gave me two rounds, I loaded the cylinder and set the sights on the pumpkin at 75yds that he had just shot at. Pulled the hammer back, touched the trigger, smiled at him and then did the same thing one handed. I missed the pumpkin (filled with water for effects)just like he did.

I said the recoil was hard but not as bad as he claimed and that I bet my wife could shoot it. He laughed at me as my wife was reaching for the revolver. She asked what was funny and where's the ammo. He gave her a round and she loaded it in as i was telling her "It's just like her 357, only louder". She looked at me and said she was still game, lined up the sights, pulled the hammer back, and touched the trigger. Pumpkin pie for all.

My friend asked for his revolver back and put it away. He's still sore that my wife can shoot his pistol better than he can.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
S & W .44 mag. Light loads. I remember thinking, what is all the fuss about. This thing is a wimp. Then I loaded up with some full power loads.

SgtSam

Bearcat
The time was Summer, 1972.

I had owned a .22 single shot J.C.Higgans rifle, and 16 ga Stevens SxS shotgun since I was a pre-teen. Never had a handgun. Went in the military when I was 18 and ended up selling both the rifle and the shotgun as it was simply to much hassel to try and keep them with me as a young airman in the Air Force.

Well, I had spent 1971 in 'Nam, and came back to an assignment in West Texas. I made friends with one of the guys in my section who was firearms enthusiast of the nth degree. I bought a 12 ga Ted Williams 300 with polychoke from him and started dove, quail, and duck hunting. I was a married NCO by this time and had no problem owning firearms.

One day he came to me and asked if I'd like to go do some handgun shooting. I said sure. So, that weekend we went out into the West Texas desert and burned up a lot of ammo. Most of it .22. Then he brought out two larger revolvers. A .357 Blackhawk and a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk.

Having never shot one before, I was curious, a little apprehensive, and quite willing to take it on. We started with the smaller Blackhawk and shot .38 special for a while. No problem. In fact, it was a lot nicer than the damn snub nose .38s that I carried as a combat air crewman. Those damn things hurt any time you shot them. Then we moved up to .357s. Again, quite a bit more recoil and noise, but fun, fun, fun. Then came the Super. He shot it first while I watched. Then came my turn. I loaded it up, aimed at the cans we had set up, and squeezed off my first shot. The gun was heavy, and I missed the cans completely. I almost dropped the damn thing. But I survived it grinning. He coached me a little how to grip it properly, and to use two hands (I was be a cowboy with one). By the time we were done, I was a confirmed "big" handgun shooter. Later that night, my hand was still hurting as I had probably put close to 50 rounds through the Super. Plus another 100 or so through the smaller Blackhawk. And three or four boxes through the .22s.

I learned how to shoot one after almost dropping it and hurting myself. I learned that when you're shooting the real heavy stuff, moderation is a nice was to go. I learned that learning to master the necessary control for shooting a large caliber handgun was an extremely satisfying past time.

I didn't get my first big handguns for a number of years after that. Bought a lot of .22s, a few .357s, and a number of .25, .380, and .45 autos. In the late '80s, I discoved the 10mm. Fell in love and even bought a few .41mags .

But, I'll never that Saturday afternoon, in the hot West Texas desert, killing all of those bad guys (tin cans and a vivid immagination). It was one of the best times I'd ever spent before, and I've ever spent since. After the guns were put away, we went to a local bar, had a few, and BS'd about the day.

Sorry for the ramble. Once I got started, it just seemed to flow. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

SgtSam

ProfessorWes

Hunter
The nastiest experience I've had shooting was when I tried out a pistol-gripped Mossberg Persuader twelve-gauge at the range one day, while I was in college. I only found out after I touched off the first - and only! - round I fired through it that the guy had loaded it with three-inch magnum 00 buck. Sprained the hell out of my hand and wrist. And it put me off pistol-grip shotguns for life.

As far as handgun recoil goes, I had the opportunity to fire both a Thompson/Center Contender and an old-style Ruger Redhawk, both in .44 Magnum, which were owned by an acquaintance. The load in both cases was a hot 240-grain handload, which the guy used for handgun hunting (he was getting ready for deer season at the time).

The T/C Contender, with a scope and twelve-inch barrel, was actually quite pleasant to shoot. I'm strongly tempted to buy one of my own.

The Redhawk, on the other hand, with its skinny magna-style wood grips, hurt like heck. One round and I gladly handed it back.