Your help needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pw24

Bearcat
Hi, I'm new here. I was directed here from another forum and, wow, is there a lot of great info here. I'm newer to firearms and trying to learn. I have 2 older Rugers that I'm trying to determine what to do with. I'm in a situation where I'd like to buy a range/home defense/all around usable gun, but, would probably have to sell one of my Rugers to meet my goal. I don't want to get taken advantage of at the local gun shop, nor do I want to get rid of something that someday I'll be upset about. I have the following:

Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum, serial #12XXX, from what I found, seems to be from 1968, I believe. I believe it has not been fired, or if it was, once or twice. Looks brand new to me.

Ruger .22 cal Single-Six, serial #128XXX, I believe that's from 1959. I can tell it has been fired and has a bit of wear.

Both were my fathers and in storage since the 70's. I hope the links to the pics work. Taking pics of firearms is way harder then I would have expected. If you could help me know about these, approximate worth, if they are collectible, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. I also understand that some of these earlier models have the option to be sent back to Ruger for modification, these have not been modified.

Thanks
Patrick

22.jpg

22a.jpg

41.jpg

41a.jpg

41b.jpg

[/img]

BlkHawk73

Hunter
pw24":1vhaucg0 said:
Both were my fathers and in storage since the 70's.

That right there means you do NOT get rid of them, trade, them, sell, them or anything else that results in no longer having ownership of them. Value is more than a monetary amount.

pw24

Bearcat
That is an issue I'm thinking long and hard about. I'm lucky to also have his hunting rifle, shotgun, and a few of my grandfathers rifles. I will never part with those and I already had to chase off an uncle who was nosing around. I'm sure I'll keep these in the end as I'm sentimental. I do appreciate the advice, once they're gone, they don't come back. If only I knew that when my mom was getting rid of the tools. :cry:

Patrick, welcome to the Forum...first off sorry for the loss of your father, never a good time....as for the guns, yes, they are BOTH collectible, you said nothing about boxes or paper work ( manuals ,etc.) so that can affect the value...bottom line you asked for a value and they look in great shape really ...your pictures are awesome .......
Those 2 guns are worth in the $1000 range, more possibly in auction, if boxed especially,,,, but as said above, I feel the value as to family history is priceless, I wish my Dad left me something like that..............
They are BOTH 'classics'............................I'd keep 'em

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D Hey pw24! At the risk of showing an awful prejudice, I must say you have been left two of the finest hand guns in the Ruger line. If you haven't yet, get a box of 41's and go shoot that beauty. If that doesn't convince you it's a keeper...there's no hope. A HUGE word of caution right now though...You have two Rugers. If you shoot that one or the other or both and like it....whoa Nelly..you'll think they are rabbits, the way they start to multiply. RB

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I have to concur with my fellow Forum members in telling you to keep them. Sell off other things of no sentimental value,, work overtime,,, do whatever to get the extra $$ for the next gun. You WILL get "seller remorse" if you let them go.
As for the other advice,, it's all right on. Boxes & papers mean a lot too!

41 nut

Bearcat
I'll add to the advice to keep them both if at all possible. Now having said that if you do decide to sell the 41mag I'd be interested in it. Please email me if you do decide to let it go.

pw24

Bearcat
Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'm feeling like I need to get out and shoot these. Probably a dumb question, anything I need to do to them before shooting, since they haven't been used in 40 years? remember, I'm new.

americal

Hunter
CHECK the inside of BARRELS for objects :!: maybe little oil in the action :) no way would I sell these guns but thats just my thoughts :)

nothing special ...as said above check the bores....before you even think about firing them.....wipe 'em down, and a bit of oil in the action possibly....most likely dry after all this time...if they were here, it would take a few minutes to detail clean and check out but look pretty good in the pictures..............

what happens is that old oil if left inside the gun, can harden with time ( dry out) become brittle ,caked in place and NOT allow things to function as they should....often with guns this old , left in storage, we would remove the grips, ( make sure the gun is unloaded of course....) and we would soak them in mineral spirits or even kerosene...no need to take the guns apart.
after a good soaking, we blow them out with an air hose, spray them down good with ANY good spray oil we have handy ( es even WD-40) move and work the action , turn the cylinder, etc....then blow out any and all the excess oil............by now you should be able to remove the cylinder pin, and the cylinder, just to check out they are good and clean and "free spinning".......put the grips back on and you are ready to go......
if the latch, and cylinder pin do NOT move, then you gotta soak them with something like 'Kroil' try and free them up...get it to move and be able to disassemble properly............all this take a matter of minutes by anyone who "knows" just what they are doing and doing it correctly.....
after that , I prefer and use ONLY a sheepskin, slathered with 'RIG' and wipe down all of our guns, keeps them looking good ,as well as protected.
If ANY questions feel free to contact me and I will walk you through the process............been doing this since the middle 1960's............wish I had a penny for everygun I handled and worked on ,I'd be retired by now.........HEY, I am, I am................ :shock:

Good luck.....................